• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Encounter with cayman R

I don't know what it is, none of these are controlled experiments but I have pulled on a Mercedes E55 AMG with it's 497 HP motor. He did have a passenger, and my car has a CTSC and decent weight reduction. I also hammered it with my friend liquid next to me on the highway, I was sitting at 5000 or so RPM's in second and he barely pulled a car length or two from me as we went well above 100. His car is a Z06. Afterwards he told me himself he was shocked at how close my NSX was to his car. I thought he'd kill me but he didn't. My NSX certainly doesn't feel slow. I weighed in at 2950 with a full tank of gas at the track scales last time.

Last edited:
???? :confused: ????

330 hp / 273 lb.-ft. 2855 lbs.

<table class="excel1" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt;" height="20"><td style="height:15.0pt;" height="20">2011 Porsche Cayman R PDK 0-60 mph 4.1 Quarter Mile 12.6
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt;" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;font-size:9.0pt;color:black;font-weight:400;text-decoration:none;text-underline-style:none;text-line-through:none;font-family:Arial;background:#D8D8D8;" height="20">2011 Porsche Cayman R (Manual) 0-60 mph 4.2 Quarter Mile 12.7
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt;" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;" height="20">2012 Porsche Cayman R PDK 0-60 mph 4.1 Quarter Mile 12.6
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Our cars weigh more, have less hp and less torque. A new Cayman S pulls on me coming off the corners on the track, and a Cayman R is lighter and faster. So I don't think the NA2 is faster than a Cayman R (or a newer Cayman S for that matter).

The Cayman S or R is faster. I have a Cayman S and its faster than any NA2 or NA1 I've test driven, but in a race it will come down to driver skill.

The Cayman S or R is faster. I have a Cayman S and its faster than any NA2 or NA1 I've test driven, but in a race it will come down to driver skill.

yes you correct. But that's true of almost any car. I lapped the entire novice group at OVR PCA @ Mid Ohio in Grandma's 1997 V6 Camry. Does it make it faster than the GT3RS that had to point me by TWICE in the same session? Nope.

I would say that an NSX is the same "league" as a Cayman S/R but because one stayed up with one doesn't mean that the NSX is as fast as one - as HockeyGoalie confirms, it isn't. I can turn faster laps on the track than my student's CGT, but that doesn't mean my NSX is faster. :)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0LGIhuUmojE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My point is that the OP claimed:

Let's just say an nsx is still quick as hell in this day and age. Sick little cars those cayman R's but an na2 is still faster. Gotta love the nsx second gear!!!

It's not. A Cayman R is faster in a drag race and for that matter faster on the track. No matter how much I wish it wasn't so. ;)

Payam972 may have "driven" his car faster than a Cayman R, but the NA2 NSX is not a faster car.

Last edited:
12.7 vs 12.9 is basically the same number.
I think some NSXs are more powerful than others. I've raced a few 400hp cars, and have never lost.
The engine in my 97 is stock.

I've only seen the NSX run a 12.9 once on that C&D TV show. All others have it in the 13s.

The fastest times listed for a NA2 in the Wiki is a 13.3. Sports Car international did it in 13.3 @ 107mph
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Performance
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/sci1298-f.jpg

I found a R&T article listing the Zanardi doing it in 13.2 @ 106mph but that's a NA2 coupe.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/acura-nsx-first-drive-review

Cayman R does it in 12.7 @ 111mph.
Cayman S does it in 12.9 @ 109mph.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1107_2012_porsche_cayman_r_test/

I do agree 12.7 vs a 12.9 in the 1/4 mile is a drivers race but look at the trap speeds of the Cayman. It's got ~5mph on the NSX, so it's pulling on the NSX at the end. CL65 Captain is right, the Cayman is a faster car.

Jim how many track hours do you have under your belt? Roughly... And are you still improving?

Jim how many track hours do you have under your belt? Roughly... And are you still improving?

Honestly Dave, I'm not sure.... Alot of auto-crossing in high school and then I did some vintage racing in the late 80s and early 90s. My Uncle collected Indy cars (70-80s) and CanAm. Then I fell out of it for a while.

When I got the NSX in 2005, I got into HPDE and shortly thereafter started instructing too. Roughly 8+ weekends on average each year from 2005-2009. 2010 I did something like 14. 2011 I only did 5 and this year only 3 so far.

Some of the events were 3 days (instructor & adv on Fri). Low estimate somewhere around 280-300 hrs of on track from 2005-2012. :confused:

Am I still improving? It goes in steps. I make a giant leap forward and then plateau for a while and then learn something new, practice that and another leap forward and plateau again. Here is a for example: I was running 10 clean laps in a row all within a 1/10 of a sec. I mean you looked at the data-logger and it was 120.2, 120.2, 120.1, 120.2, 120.3, etc, etc. I thought "man, that's it. That's the most I have in me or in the car."

Well, I rode with a student who would scream down the straight brake as hard and late as possible and tip-toe through corners. All of his momentum was gone and his lap times sucked. It was a low powered car (Miata) so I made him drive the whole thing in 4th gear and run it like a very fast "cool down" lap. Don't touch the brakes unless you have to and then brake early and light.

The whole idea was to force him to keep the momentum going. Now, a miata is a momentum car, right? Well, when you have to drive the whole track in 4th gear it becomes very apparent if you scrub off speed as the car bogs down. Kind of like one of those underpowered go-karts when you scrub they just sit there and you wait and wait. We did this two whole sessions and his lap times were much better than when he was shifting and threshold braking, etc, etc. Finally, I gave him 2nd and 3rd back but made him keep braking early and light and keeping that same momentum going. Bam... 10 sec a lap drop right off the bat.

Well, I decided to take my own advice and got in the NSX and ran the whole thing in 4th instead of 3rd (4th on the straight). I worked on keeping my momentum going and braking only enough to make the turn in. Entry speeds were bumping up 3-4 mph on most of the corners but I wasn't accelerating out of the exits as I was in 4th. Who cares.... my entry speeds were improving. And it compounds as you carry that momentum from turn to turn. I was only about a second and half off my times using 3 & 4th gear.

But I learned that braking hard and late wasn't going to increase my times - in fact it was hurting me. I would go into the corners slower than the max and feel that I could accelerate but then feel the car sliding and think I was at the limit. I wasn't. I was on the limit of what the rears could do because I was asking them to corner AND accelerate.

So I concentrated on braking a little earlier and a little lighter and keeping the momentum going and THEN get back on the gas at the apex. Set my personal best the next morning - 119.3 a full second off the 120s I was running.

So to answer your question - it goes in steps and plateaus. :wink:

That 2nd gen Cayman S was all over the place

??? Randy in the Cayman S (first vid - 2nd Gen Cayman S) probably has more time at Putnam Park than any of us considering he was been tracking there since it opened 17 years ago. His line is different than mine, but still a good line (for him).

He's a good driver but was running on Hoosiers that were on their last legs and heat cycled out (actually Continental GrandAm made by Hoosier) which is the only reason I could even stay with him since I was running AD08s.

Last edited:
There are alot of variables.
Maybe the cayman R had mechanical issues.
Maybe the driver was short shifting or not flat to the floor.
No cayman would get close to my nsx:biggrin:

No cayman would get close to my nsx:biggrin:

This one would....

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qEgEGwaPwZ0?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/86BPN-8qYOY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5mFoSpbhAOw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wonder if my NSX will go up $6K in value if I remove my AC and radio, and put a strap in for a door handle.

This thread wasn't about a FI nsx. It was about my NA car lol

I have never street raced another car in my NSX. Never. Not even a "rolling pull" on the highway. However, I can tell you from real world experience that going down the straight on the track full out there are MANY stock cars I wouldn't be able to get past unless they were kind enough to lift to let me by. As well, I have been 3' nose to tail coming off the corner to the main straight and they pull from me like a freight train. Sadly, this list is long and distinguished - including Cayman S, C6 Vette, C5 Z06, 997s and both 996GT3s and 997GT3s. This is 3rd gear (5,700 rpm) to the very top of 4th gear (NA2 6 speed).

Last edited:
I have never street raced another car in my NSX. Never. Not even a "rolling pull" on the highway. However, I can tell you from real world experience that going down the straight on the track full out there are MANY stock cars I wouldn't be able to get past unless they were kind enough to lift to let me by. As well, I have been 3' nose to tail coming off the corner to the main straight and they pull from me like a freight train. Sadly, this list is long and distinguished - including Cayman S, C6 Vette, C5 Z06, 997s and both 996GT3s and 997GT3s. This is 3rd gear (5,700 rpm) to the very top of 4th gear (NA2 6 speed).

Why you so slow? :tongue:

I've only seen the NSX run a 12.9 once on that C&D TV show. All others have it in the 13s.

Here's some more.
Looks like 2 owners did 12.9s and 1 did a 13.3

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.ph...days=10000000&carmake=1&name=Search+DragTimes

Factor in that the NSX is slower off the line(power doesn't start until 6,000rpm), and that it implies with the same end 1/4 mile that the NSX makes up the speed on the top end. AKA, take out the launch, and the NSX is going to be faster doing highway pulls than most 12.9 cars.

I have been 3' nose to tail coming off the corner to the main straight and they pull from me like a freight train.

I would like to see both our cars on a dyno. There's no way we're making the same power.
Do you still do all the scheduled maintenance? Is your fuel filter, plugs, coils, etc less than 5 years old?

Last edited:
I would like to see both our cars on a dyno. There's no way we're making the same power.
Do you still do all the scheduled maintenance? Is your fuel filter, plugs, coils, etc less than 5 years old?

yes. My car is maintained better than most since I track it often.

Here is me following Ray05NSX's 2005 when he was my student. As you can see, I'm not down on power at all.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8XGU28m5NiQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here I'm following CURTSR's Basch SC (400rwhp).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kIFxmbCUAPo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's some more.
Looks like 2 owners did 12.9s and 1 did a 13.3

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.ph...days=10000000&carmake=1&name=Search+DragTimes

http://www.dragtimes.com/Porsche--Cayman-Drag-Racing.html

Looks like one Cayman R owner did it 12.186 @ 113.18 mph
Another one did it 12.298 @ 112.889mph

Factor in that the NSX is slower off the line(power doesn't start until 6,000rpm), and that it implies with the same end 1/4 mile that the NSX makes up the speed on the top end. AKA, take out the launch, and the NSX is going to be faster doing highway pulls than most 12.9 cars.

Actually, the trap speed is more the indicator of real power. Note the trap speed of the Cayman R is ~113mph. The NSX is ~ 106mph-107mph.
That means the Cayman R is walking...err jogging.. away from the NSX at a rate of 6-7mph.

To your original post. Sounds like you beat the drivers..not their cars. Also a little wisdom many should heed. Know your competition.

What is it with Porsche's sports cars that have such a "dated" and bland interior? Yes I see the updates, but the lines and buttons and over all look just looks like some dude still wearing a double breasted 3 piece suit today.

The Panamera was designed from ground up and looks more modern.

What is it with Porsche's sports cars that have such a "dated" and bland interior? Yes I see the updates, but the lines and buttons and over all look just looks like some dude still wearing a double breasted 3 piece suit today.

The Panamera was designed from ground up and looks more modern.

have you seen the new 991 yet?? the interior is luxo sedan just like the panamera...

Back