• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Check and TCS Lights Stuck On

An hour ago I noticed both the "check engine" (next to oil presuure indicator) and TCS lights both activated (orange/yellow glow) at the same time. I beleive it occured right after a hard right turn on a slightly off camber downhill turn. I have taken the road many times. Manual indicates the "check engine" light is activated when something is wrong with one of the emission control devices. If this was the only light on then posibbly so. But due to the fact the TCS light is also stuck on , I believe something else is going on and are related to each other. Ran car hard to 70+ to attemp to clear, but no such luck.

Anyone experience this dual light anomoly or seperate instances with either the "check engine" or TCS warning light staying on?

Searched FAQ with no relative data found.

Thanks in advance.

97 Red/Blk NSX-T @ 13K

[This message has been edited by NSX4U2 (edited 16 December 2000).]

Did you pull the error code(s) for the check engine light, look them up in the service manual, and follow the diagnostic procedure indicated there?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Did you pull the error code(s) for the check engine light, look them up in the service manual, and follow the diagnostic procedure indicated there?

NSXTACY: Thanks for the reply. I do not have a service manual. I was referring to the owners manual when I stated it was suggested the light indicates an emission problem. If you have the diagnostic procedure I would appreciate the help. Any ideas why both lights would activate at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

97 Red/Blk T

Follow up: At the suggestion of an electrical engineer, I disconnected the battery leads, thus draining the electrical system (reboot). Upon restarting the "engine check" and TCS lights are off. Will attempt to duplicate initial problem with more driving (hopefully without any luck).

Thanks to all for the input.

97 Red/Blk T

Disconnecting the battery also clears the codes that are stored in the ECU, so there's no way to determine what they might be. (Incidentally, pulling the clock fuse for five seconds does the same thing.)

The procedure for pulling the engine codes is in the DIY section of the FAQ, but the link isn't working at the moment.

Update and FYI: Spoke to Neillo Acura (they have been great to me for the past 10 years) about "check" engine lights on. Larry, the Service Manager indicated this is not something new or uncommon. In many instances when the "check" engine and TCS lights are uluminated at the same time as mine were, it is due to a "triped" TCS sensor. As I indicated in the previous post, the warning light were activated after a hard right off camber downhill turn. I likely lifted the right rear tire, thus causing the TCS sensor to become confused and activate the warning. The corrective action is to reset the TCS with a hand held device Acura has in service. A two (2) minute job I am told.

Will advise when I have had a chance to visit Neilo Acura in Sacramento, CA

97 Red/Blk-T

FYI:

Check engine/TCS lights activated due to failed "Detection Unit". Two plug box located adjacent to alternator. Part # 37950-P5A-A01. $298.26 for the part. Device monitors volatage at the spark plugs. If bad, you have the check engine and TCS light always on.

No noticeable difference in engine performance after replacement, but at least the lights are off!

97-T @ 14K

Back