• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine doesn't start!

I was at a gas station an hour ago and wanted to start the engine. Nothing :confused: . I heard the click of the fuel pump and that was it.

Can somebody help me. I have left the car at the gas station. So I have to go back. If somebody has a quick answer for the problem, I would be very happy.

Thanks, Gerard

Gerard van Santen said:
I was at a gas station an hour ago and wanted to start the engine. Nothing :confused: . I heard the click of the fuel pump and that was it.

Can somebody help me. I have left the car at the gas station. So I have to go back. If somebody has a quick answer for the problem, I would be very happy.

Thanks, Gerard

Check the battery terminals.

I second the Main Relay. Try lightly banging on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat. That might temporaroly bring it back to life. You didn't mention whether or not the Check Engine Light came on so I'm assuming it did not.

Hugh said:
I second the Main Relay. Try lightly banging on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat. That might temporaroly bring it back to life. You didn't mention whether or not the Check Engine Light came on so I'm assuming it did not.
I will try that. I hope this will work. Thanks. I' ll go back to the gas station in an hour.

Gerard van Santen said:
I will try that. I hope this will work. Thanks. I' ll go back to the gas station in an hour.

Keep us posted. If you need help when you're at the car, I'll PM you my phone number in case your cell can dial internationally.

How do you know its not the starter motor? if you are going to be banging around, thats the one unit that actually responds to "bangs" usually. The relay usually goes bad a lot less often than the starter or starter solenoid. Any clicking there? you have good juice everywhere? (battery power).

This isn't something you can really do on the spot but I would measure voltage at the main relay.

Hugh said:
Keep us posted. If you need help when you're at the car, I'll PM you my phone number in case your cell can dial internationally.
Hi Hugh, thanks very much. I appreciate that. I went to the gas station 1/2 hour ago. Turned the key, and voila the engine fired up :confused: :smile:

Back at home I resoldered the main relay. Everything seems to be allright.
I hope this is it. The main relay perhaps cooled down enough to make contact to start the engine. But if somebody have another reason for this malfailure, please respond. Because if it is sometihing else, it will occur again and perhaps at a place I don't want to be with a not starting NSX :wink:

Thanks.

Gerard, you are sure its not the starter?

TURBO2GO said:
How do you know its not the starter motor? if you are going to be banging around, thats the one unit that actually responds to "bangs" usually.
That's what I thought at first. But it was for me difficult to check that. Is it possible that it is the starter motor and that it started after cooled down enough? The voltage/battery was OK.

Gerard van Santen said:
That's what I thought at first. But it was for me difficult to check that. Is it possible that it is the starter motor and that it started after cooled down enough? The voltage/battery was OK.

Yes, this is very typical behavior of a starter motor on its way out. If you have never replaced it, and with the extra heat of the track racing and the SC, its probably just old and dying out. It will happen again, probably when the engine is warm and you shut it off. Usually you can bang on the motor as someone is turning the ignition and it will "catch" and start when its dead.

TURBO2GO said:
Yes, this is very typical behavior of a starter motor on its way out. If you have never replaced it, and with the extra heat of the track racing and the SC, its probably just old and dying out. It will happen again, probably when the engine is warm and you shut it off. Usually you can bang on the motor as someone is turning the ignition and it will "catch" and start when its dead.
Ouch :frown: Do I have to replace it and what will be the costs?

Gerard van Santen said:
Ouch :frown: Do I have to replace it and what will be the costs?

I am not familiar with the NSX one, but these are typicaly not expensive. In the U.S. around $100 for many cars. Perhaps someone that knows better about the NSX one can chime in.

Hugh, do you not think this is more likely the problem than the main relay? I have almost never seen those go bad. This car may have its original starter motor still.

TURBO2GO said:
I am not familiar with the NSX one, but these are typicaly not expensive. In the U.S. around $100 for many cars. Perhaps someone that knows better about the NSX one can chime in.

Hugh, do you not think this is more likely the problem than the main relay? I have almost never seen those go bad. This car may have its original starter motor still.
It is the original starter motor. The engine has done 220,000 mls and is 14 years old. Perhaps it is not strange if it is the starter motor.

Gerard van Santen said:
It is the original starter motor. The engine has done 220,000 mls and is 14 years old. Perhaps it is not strange if it is the starter motor.

wow... yeah I would say its gone. That's incredible life for a starter motor. Honda engineering. Change it and you should be good to go. This one will give you trouble again.

I am having a similar problem. My car will crank, but seems to be starved for fuel. So far, after several tries, it has started. I usually have to press the gas pedal to get fuel going. I am going to look into this MR though.

Back