Engine Mounts

NSX-R engine mount is supposedly stiffer than regular NSX. Not sure if you can get it here in US though. May wanna ask SOS, Cybernation or Dali.

I did a search, and maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything about aftermarket mounts. Why can't the NSX-R mounts be purchased in the US?

Gerry Johnson reported in a recent post on his MONSTER turbo he broke them (tore). He removed - filled them with some kind of plastic to make them solid and put them back in and I am told they are working awesome.

The thread may be in Forced Induction.

I'm struggling with that whole clunking sound from the rear. I cranked down the motor mounts, and it's still there. The front one seems like maybe it's too soft, but I've only got 18K on a 91 (I'm the new owner..) So, how can the mounts be toast already, right? I'm thinkin' maybe a stiffer mount in the front, maybe that solves my problem? Who knows. That sound is brutal, and frankly, I just want it to go away.

Ah, I see. You need a very small person to climb back there while you romp on it so they can see what's making the noise. Perhaps a small video camera? You should be able to check the mounts with pry bars and/or a jack under the engine, although I haven't looked at one with that in mind to identify possible leverage points. Have you done a thorough bolt check for the various sub frame pieces etc.? Sorry, hard to tell much from here.

Got down there with a pry bar, and the front mount seemed somewhat loose. The rear seemed ok. Either way, I cranked them both down, hard. It's the same deal, drive along slowly in 1st gear, give it some gas, and then back off, and it sounds like the whole back end is gettin' torqued. The FAQ says to loosen both mounts, rev 3 or 4 times, and then torque them back down. Does the engine re-seat?

No disrespect but if you have tightened the mount / transmission bolts to factory torque settings and did not visualy notice and damage - it probably is not your mounts.

Can you better describe the sound, where it might be coming from, and under what conditions? I bet someone can help you with more details. It is VERY rare under the conditions you describe (stock w/18k miles) to hear about an engine mount going bad.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

No worries - Drivin' around in 1st gear, sometimes in second, with low rpm's - you feel every tap of the gas, and every let off the pedal. Sounds like something's clunkin' around. It sounds brutal. Metal clunkin' against metal. It's not high pitched at all. It's more of a thud. Mean anything?

I think what you're hearing is the differential play or backlash. It's fairly common in NSXs.

It's a clunking noise that you hear more often at low speeds/rpms particularly when you do a ill-timed shift.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

I have the same "bogging/jerking" type feeling when at very low RPMs - like the car is "fighting" itself right before it would stall the engine.

I would try to catch a ride in someone elses before you spend a lot of $$$ trying to fix it.

YMMV.

Yours is loud and clunky? You're confident that the back end isn't going to rip off, or the transmission isn't going to fall out? I'll be hugely relieved if this is the norm.

I would say it is loud and clunky right before the engine stalls. I don't know if ours are the same but several others have reported this as well.

Is there anyone else with an NSX that can take you for a ride near by and let the RPMs fall till the car is about to stall so you can see if your is normal, better, or worse?

I know - I need to start hangin' out with the SoCal folks. Don't know anyone with an NSX.

Sorry to keep beating this...You say when the engine's about to stall. Mine is only when the car is rockin'. Make sense?

Yes, "rockin" describes the condition well. However, this should not be common under normal driving conditions. If you here the every time you take off or stop then either your technique needs work or your car does. It may also be that your half-shafts are bad but I think the sound you describe is not as likely given the CV design (compared to U-joints) Your best bet is to meet up with another owner and compare cars/noises first hand.

Back