• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Power Cut out

Hello All,

I would like to run this issue with you guys and hope that someone has had a similar problem before...

I did take my x out to spring mountain this past weekend however she was running strong and always has been...

Not to mention I drove like a Granny (I haz the slowest times to prove it)

Drive from LA to Vegas to LA was a ease and no problems there...

However last night when I took her out for a spin the following happened...

I was on the freeway cruising at about 80MPH engine was warmed up already and I wasnt gunning it just cruising...

And the sensation of losing momentum was felt suddenly... I was like wait what the heck... Tapped the gas nothing... So I started to veer to the shoulder car stopped and the engine was dead... I tried to start her again and she started back up with no problems...

BUT the check engine light was flashing and TCS light was full on lit...

I heard no abnormal noises and all oil pressure and coolant temps were norm so I drove her off the freeway...

Than she died again... Again loss of engine power while electricals were still going...

Restarted her again and check engine light was full on and tcs light disappeared...

So I limped her into a nearby hotel parking lot...

I will bring my mechanic to her in about a hour but I am just wondering what can be the issue?

It almost felt like fuel being cut out and I am running out of gas...

My gas tank is low but... no lights and I have gone lower with no problems...

It seems both times when this happened I was going down hill if that makes any difference...

Any Ideas?

Jeff

Main Relay.....search it....that is likely the problem. :smile:

might not be the problem but easy fix, bring some gas with you and put in tank, possible gas gauge is not working, had a friend with corvette that had exact same symtoms you describe and it turns out he was out of gas, but his gauge was low but no light, it turn out to be a defective gas gauge.. hope you get your car fix, good luck.

Fuel Pump sound is gone...

I believe its the fuel relay...

Now where to get the part???

I checked stealers and they can have it by sat...

Any chance someone might have it in stock? (non dealers)

Had the exact same thing happen to me on our way to Vegas for NSXPO last year. It was the fuel pump relay. The dealership fixed it for about $300 if I remember correctly.

Experienced exactly the same thing - cruising at 65 on the interstate and all of a sudden, complete loss of engine power and lights on the dash like crazy. Pulled over, looked everything over ( all looked normal ) - tried to restart and it started right up. Gingerly cruised back home and took it to the dealer and when they read the code, it was the Main Relay. They replaced it and I've not had another problem. Scared the beejeebies out of me though :eek: Jay

Had the exact same thing happen to me on our way to Vegas for NSXPO last year. It was the fuel pump relay. The dealership fixed it for about $300 if I remember correctly.

Ouch....the relay costs $65 (last I recall) and takes 5 minutes to install.

Ouch....the relay costs $65 (last I recall) and takes 5 minutes to install.

I went back to check and the exact amount was $330. Honestly at the time I had no idea what the right price would've been, didn't really have any alternatives, and didn't care. All I wanted was for the car to start. :tongue: For the first time in 10 years I was going to NSXPO and if the car didn't start, I was going to miss out on all the festivities over the next few days. Hell, I would probably have given a kidney to pay for it! lol

But to answer the question, I'm going to the dealership today for some service on my other car so I'm going to pose the question to them and see how much they'd charge for the same service out here. Will let you guys know.

I went back to check and the exact amount was $330. Honestly at the time I had no idea what the right price would've been, didn't really have any alternatives, and didn't care. All I wanted was for the car to start. :tongue: For the first time in 10 years I was going to NSXPO and if the car didn't start, I was going to miss out on all the festivities over the next few days. Hell, I would probably have given a kidney to pay for it! lol

But to answer the question, I'm going to the dealership today for some service on my other car so I'm going to pose the question to them and see how much they'd charge for the same service out here. Will let you guys know.

Damn sorry to hear...

Well I caved and expedited my order and it will be at the stealers by noon...

Paid $86 for it + $25 shipping...

I just want my car to work again... :(

So just got back from the dealership and the quoted price to replace the fuel pump relay/main relay was $316. Probably could get a small discount from there, but it looks like the dealership option would run at about $300. I don't know how hard it is to replace on your own, but if you can do it, more power to ya! :smile:

So just got back from the dealership and the quoted price to replace the fuel pump relay/main relay was $316. Probably could get a small discount from there, but it looks like the dealership option would run at about $300. I don't know how hard it is to replace on your own, but if you can do it, more power to ya! :smile:

My mechanic has the part and its installed...

She is alive again...

Pretty easy to get to and I helped him get to the part...

Probably charge me $50 bucks and call it a day...

So less than $200 to get her up and running again not too shabby...

Thanks for the feedback guys you guys are freaking awesome :)

might not be the problem but easy fix, bring some gas with you and put in tank, possible gas gauge is not working, had a friend with corvette that had exact same symtoms you describe and it turns out he was out of gas, but his gauge was low but no light, it turn out to be a defective gas gauge.. hope you get your car fix, good luck.

Gas issue wont give you check engine/ABS/ TCS light on for no reason
this is an electrical issue

congrats on the fix- now I gotta get mine going again

Last edited:
So she ran fine with the new main relay....

Drove her all week from mon to friday on my commute to work...

Let her rest friday and tried to start her up on sat and boom CEL on...

I dont know what the problem is and I will get the code read soon...

But the car is running well with no problems...

I am wondering if I am hitting that stretch where the little gremlins will start to pop up...

I know I have to get the code to start the trouble shooting process but any ideas fellas on what can be wrong now?

I know the common thing may be O2 Sensors...

I will have the code read and get back to you guys on that...

P0141 is the code that I pulled...

I believe its the O2 Sensor from my search...

Here we go again...

Any good site to get the part from for a 98?

Back