• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Environmental Group Slams Honda's "Green"

How can Acura come out with a new NSX if the company is trying to be "GREEN"
and... into auto sports at the same time? :confused: Its like Jumbo/Shrimp... Just don't make sense

Honda is so confused right now!

Some Help! :eek:

Environmental Group Slams Honda's "Green" Formula 1 Car
Honda's attempt to promote environmental responsibility with its Formula 1 racing team has gotten an opposite reaction in the form of sharp criticism from Friends of the Earth.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119844

maybe?

cqs1173240446s.jpg

One of the key things that Racing teams need to do is to restrict fuel instead of restricting air. The current process of restrict air encourages rich burning to develop power. If fuel restriction were applied, engine makers would fully devote to lean burn engine and this technology would carry over to production cars. Formula 1 is already looking at using regenerative power (Hybrid) in upcoming years. Hope they get this going quick.

V10 no longer makes sense for Honda sports car. V8 is likely more efficient and represent IRL and F1 engine configuration. NSX isn't about big engines Takeo. Exotic engine doesn't always mean V10 and V12. Stop listening to the magazine criticisms. The fact that magazine editior complain about a "weak" V6 is a testament to how capable the chassis is. Take it as a compliment, not as a need to respond with V10 excess. Don't use a big stick when a small one will do. It's just not Honda's way.

Tell the environmentalists to go pound sand. Racing uses fuel for entertainment purposes. Too darn bad - deal with it. What would they have us do for entertainment that has zero effect on the environment?... stay home and stare at the ceiling? They are starting to sound like enviro-fascists. (I just made up that term - clever, huh?)

Last edited:
Tell the environmentalists to go pound sand. Racing uses fuel for entertainment purposes. Too darn bad - deal with it. What would they have us do for entertainment that has zero effect on the environment?... stay home and stare at the ceiling? They are starting to sound like enviro-fascists. (I just made up that term - clever, huh?)

Starting to? :p

Come on, those magazine critics don't even know what they are talking about. A single private jet flight from LA to NY would probably pollute earth more than the whole weekend event of F1.

Tell the environmentalists to go pound sand. Racing uses fuel for entertainment purposes. Too darn bad

until the planet becomes uninhabitable? too darn bad :rolleyes:

I love cars, but they contribute to environmental problems, a shift towards educating people to actually give a shit, needs to be enacted. nice one/

How can Acura come out with a new NSX if the company is trying to be "GREEN"
and... into auto sports at the same time? :confused: Its like Jumbo/Shrimp... Just don't make sense

Honda is so confused right now!

Some Help! :eek:

Environmental Group Slams Honda's "Green" Formula 1 Car
Honda's attempt to promote environmental responsibility with its Formula 1 racing team has gotten an opposite reaction in the form of sharp criticism from Friends of the Earth.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119844

Actually the term "jumbo shrimp" is a mystery to me. When you're on the West Coast they have "shrimp" or "prawns". Shrimp is actually the name for small prawns. Oh and yeah they do look at you crazy when you ask for Jumbo shrimp.:biggrin:

I know return you to NSXbats regular rant about what's wrong with Honda or whatever the make.

I love cars, but they contribute to environmental problems, a shift towards educating people to actually give a shit, needs to be enacted. nice one/

Don't you get the discovery channel?

Eventually the planet will be un-inhabitable anyway. It is simply a question if it is from a killer asteroid, killer tsunami, gamma-ray burst, super volcano, nuclear war/pestilence, death of our sun.... or the far more likely world-wide resource crunch due to the over-population of billions of overly caffeinated wasteful hippies getting groceries in Ford Excursions with 10,000lb towing capacities and a Sierra club sticker.

They would have participated in F1 anyway. They are trying to make people aware of saving energy (or at least stop wasting, which I support).

Eventhough the car is b*** ugly with this world map on it, I think it's a very cool thing to do.

Remember reading something about this like if every F1 fan changed a light bulb to one of those energysaving bulbs, we will save the same about of energy the F1 consumes during a complete season incl. trucktransportation and all that follows the F1 circus. It was Honda's calculations. Trying to find the link.. Hmm...

But can a educated person please explain how saving electricity through turning of the lights when not using them etc can effect the envoirment/prevent global warming? I get the cars and CO2 part but not the electricity-saving part.

Interesting thread for sure. I like the saving-the-planet concern, but I think we as car-enthusiasts get a little too much blame in this. We are too causing it, if the global warming really is human made, but if they ban all cars with petrol engines as we know them today - I'm going to go nuts. I love cars too much... Perhaps watching people die of hunger and thirst would change my mind after a while of this continuing, but until then, don't take the cars away :p

The none-competitiveness of F1 is advertising. The "Green" theme is to show the world that their production cars are the cleanest in the world, which is true. The environmentalist will cry for any little stupid shit just to be heard. I’m sure if I fart on front of their office, they would probably try to get me arrested.

The "Green" theme is to show the world that their production cars are the cleanest in the world, which is true.

Really? Where did you get that from? I thought Toyota was leading this lowest-emission cars segment.

Eventually the planet will be un-inhabitable anyway. It is simply a question if it is from a killer asteroid, killer tsunami, gamma-ray burst, super volcano, nuclear war/pestilence, death of our sun.... or the far more likely world-wide resource crunch due to the over-population of billions of overly caffeinated wasteful hippies getting groceries in Ford Excursions with 10,000lb towing capacities and a Sierra club sticker.

I do watch the Discovery Channel (and in HD baby!) The chances of gamma-ray burst, super-volcano or the death of the sun destroying our planet...... are insiginificant (combined, I think think they are more then 1 in a few million...)

The chances of John's straight pipe speeding up Global Warming are.... significant :biggrin:

I do watch the Discovery Channel (and in HD baby!) The chances of gamma-ray burst, super-volcano or the death of the sun destroying our planet...... are insiginificant (combined, I think think they are more then 1 in a few million...)

Like an auto accident,seriously, would you care about the statistics if it happened? It is so normal for humans to quantify things in terms of their own life span. More than likely, there is hundreds or even tens of thousands of years of technogical progress we won't be around to see. Look out ten or even a hundred thousand years hence and all of a sudden the inplausable becomes the relatively plausable. Dino's ruled the earth for millions of years, and they are far less adaptable than humans. The era of fossil fuels will eventually come to a close being inevitable, as the cost to survey, drill, extract, process, etc... looms tall. Other technological advances will fill the void, long after I depart the earth.

The chances of John's straight pipe speeding up Global Warming are.... significant :biggrin:

Not really, no. Racing is a relatively niche hobby.

As mentioned prior, all of the engines in a F1 race pale in comparison to a single regional jump jet than is dumping in hundreds of gallons of fuel a minute and emitting C02 by the pound. As most production car engines burn close to the stoichiometric point using small fuel injectors, frankly the more harmful emissions are relatively mitigated. Even so, an improperly running 70's pickup truck at cold idle is far more a heavy polluter than a modern sports car from Honda at max rpm.

The fact is, this is a PR game, and motorsports has become a battle ground for hippies and special agenda groups that lack basic engineering degrees. They make the facts that they like work for them, and you could have the cleanest burning 120mpg diesel engine in the world and eventually... they would still stick their nose up at it.

It is a long road between envisioning hydrogen fuel cells and electric vehicles and making them a practical production reality for five hundred million people. It is even more of a challenge to design a technology that is truely clean from manufacturing to operation to de-comission. It should be obvious that painting a F1 car green might serve to raise awareness to the cause, but does little to solve any significant engineering bottle necks in the field of commuter cars. They have nothing in common to begin with, nor are they intended to.

In short, if they want to help out and reach point B sooner- they can move out of urban centers so they can be with their trees, quit lobbying and start engineering during the work week, and more than anything just leave the rest of us with our see-do's and race cars on the weekends alone. If they want to impress me in their off time, they can follow the lead of the actually smart home tuners that have converted their VW's to burn veggy oil and done meaningful R&D in their home garage. That at least requires actual smarts, as opposed to blabbing of the mouth. It is the same protestors that show up at every rally in Seattle, and eco-activism should be a design standard, not a career goal.

Last edited:
But can a educated person please explain how saving electricity through turning of the lights when not using them etc can effect the envoirment/prevent global warming? I get the cars and CO2 part but not the electricity-saving part.
There are a lot of powerplants in the US that use coal or natural gas as a fuel. Reducing electricity requirements reduces the amount of fuel that needs to be burned, thus less CO2 and other pollutants entering the atmosphere.

There are a lot of powerplants in the US that use coal or natural gas as a fuel. Reducing electricity requirements reduces the amount of fuel that needs to be burned, thus less CO2 and other pollutants entering the atmosphere.

Thank you, never thought of it from this view.

The US and Soviet Union conducted numerous nuclear tests in the atmosphere, and punched holes in the ionosphere. They were forced to stop such testing and sign a test ban treaty against further atmospheric testing in 1963. This is the reason why they test them underground, now. The holes in the ionsosphere allow more radiation to enter the atmosphere, and this heats the oceans, causing sea-plants to die. Dead plants turn brown and black, causing them to aborb more radiation, etc.

actually no i don't i live in japan and dont have cable.

well i guess you're going to die eventually, so i may as well kill you now?
We are able to lesson the impact of global damage, but we choose not too because of our own selfish impulses, short sighted attitudes do not help!

The human race doesn't deserve to continue with these types of attitudes.

Ah battlestar galactica you teach me well.:biggrin:

Just to put some perspective on fuel consumption stats...

Each F1 team brings about 3,600 litres of fuel to each race weekend in total.
A 747 jet consumes about 150,000 litres of fuel in 10 hours.

11 F1 teams bring 39,600 litres of fuel to each race weekend.
17 races per season consumes up to 673,200 litres of fuel for the entire season.

1 long haul one-way trip on a 747-400ER will consume about 225,000 litres of fuel.
A return trip will consume 450,000 litres of fuel (30 hours of flight time)

So... 45 hours of flight time (or 3 long haul flights) on a 747 approx. equals an entire race season of F1 fuel consumption.

Just as a reminder - Honda is switching to 100% ethanol next year in IndyCar.

I don't get why they would go after Honda. Ferrari doesn't do shit for the environment in racing. GM no. Ford no. Hell - I don't know if even Toyota has done as much as Honda has done in pushing more friendly environmental practices in motorsports and the trickle down effect it has on production vehicles.

I'm usually for environmentally friendly groups doing good things... but these guys have ran after the wrong people. Doing good things for the environment by doing the right things, raising awareness and promoting good habits is one thing... going after one of the top auto-makers as they are trying to promote the very ideas that you side with is asinine.

Yep, the planet will become uninhabitable due to race cars...:tongue:

Come on, those magazine critics don't even know what they are talking about. A single private jet flight from LA to NY would probably pollute earth more than the whole weekend event of F1.

The F1 cars themselves are probably the least pollutiing part of F1. Most drivers go to each race via their own private jet, as do the team owners and principals. Each team takes about 50-70 people to each race - mechanics, PR, driver trainers, etc. - on yet other planes. And then all of the team transports, motor homes for the drivers, etc. are driven and/or transported to most of the races.

I don't think that the environmentalists are complaining about Honda F1, rather the hyprocrasy of Honda F1 suggesting that they are environmentally correct. What next - Marlboro promoting the American Lung Association? George Bush a spokesman for Amnesty International? Japan goverment for Save the Whales?

I don't think that the environmentalists are complaining about Honda F1, rather the hyprocrasy of Honda F1 suggesting that they are environmentally correct. What next - Marlboro promoting the American Lung Association? George Bush a spokesman for Amnesty International? Japan goverment for Save the Whales?

You can find a degree of hypocrisy in just about anything if you look hard enough. Is not cigarette manufacturers running stop smoking ads on primetime a direct result of just this type of activism?

Little sense in bringing about a situation, only to later step up to ridicule the results. I say take what you can get.

You can find a degree of hypocrisy in just about anything if you look hard enough. Is not cigarette manufacturers running stop smoking ads on primetime a direct result of just this type of activism?

Little sense in bringing about a situation, only to later step up to ridicule the results. I say take what you can get.

You don't have to look hard to see the hypocrisy of an F1 car cloated in Save the Earth livery. Yes, the cig companies are required to fund anti-smoking programs as punishment for selling a harmful product (so the thinking goes) but you don't see American Lung Association logos on the cigarette pack.

F1 already pays a form of "tax" - perhaps the equivalent of the cig company's requirement to fund anti-smoking advertisements - by paying land owners in the tropics to grow trees to offset the carbon emissions. The organization from which they buy their "carbon credits" is called Fonfo BioClimatico.

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy F1 (along with ALMS, Speed World Challenge and CART). But let's call a spade a spade - racing ain't good for the environment and if I were an environmental activist organization, I would not lend my name, logo, etc. to a racing organization.

You don't have to look hard to see the hypocrisy of an F1 car cloated in Save the Earth livery. Yes, the cig companies are required to fund anti-smoking programs as punishment for selling a harmful product (so the thinking goes) but you don't see American Lung Association logos on the cigarette pack.

F1 already pays a form of "tax" - perhaps the equivalent of the cig company's requirement to fund anti-smoking advertisements - by paying land owners in the tropics to grow trees to offset the carbon emissions. The organization from which they buy their "carbon credits" is called Fonfo BioClimatico.

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy F1 (along with ALMS, Speed World Challenge and CART). But let's call a spade a spade - racing ain't good for the environment and if I were an environmental activist organization, I would not lend my name, logo, etc. to a racing organization.

Ok, agreed.

It is what it is. To a certain extent, there is an environmental impact to just about everything we as a human race have so far done , especially per our late developmental activities... say the last 250 years of industrious progress.

The significance really comes down to scale. Would anyone be concerned about any of this if there were a half a billion people on the planet instead of seven? With myriad developing nations around the globe, all with burgeoning populations and explosive technological/infastructual growth, I would argue the real issue is scale- as futurists try to envision a world with essentially uncontrolled population growth.

In short, find me an environmental problem that cannot otherwise be better solved with a simple condom.

Back