• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS failure

Glad I found this post. Today the EPS light came on and drove manual steering until I found the 'temp fix' with the clock fuse from you all. It is back to power, but now I'm reading that it will most likely reappear.

How's your battery? the EPS pulls quite a bit of juice from the battery, and right after cranking the starter if you've got a worn out or low battery it can set the EPS light off because there isn't enough power available so soon after starting.

When my battery took a nosedive during this winter I noticed that if I reset the fuse, started the car, and just let her idle in my driveway for awhile before touching the wheel, i could drive it without losing EPS.

I would try the free fixes before you start looking to replace an eps module. Those look expensive :eek:

Happen on mine.. cause is related lack voltage and/or soldering issue on the relay embed on the eps board.

For me, I cleaned the neg terminal with some sand paper and add another ground wire on neg to the body. EPS lights hasn't came back on since.. Try it..!

I have an EPS unit for sale! :) PM Me :biggrin: the computer and the EPS rack too!

Glad I found this post. Today the EPS light came on and drove manual steering until I found the 'temp fix' with the clock fuse from you all. It is back to power, but now I'm reading that it will most likely reappear. My NSX is a '95, and way past the 8 year warranty. Thinking wishfully, but have any of you had permanent luck after resetting the fuse? Or will I be taking it to the dealer soon? Thansx always for your helpful posts!

I can see why Acura had a TSB on those years. The early EPS units were very well built but the design was cheapened and the newer design was failure prone. The design was changed in later cars and the problems went a way.

Same eps issue

I can see why Acura had a TSB on those years. The early EPS units were very well built but the design was cheapened and the newer design was failure prone. The design was changed in later cars and the problems went a way.

So my 1996 eps light just came on live everyone posted about. I did try the fuse thing and it worked, but tripped again when I shut the car off and went to start back up again. So what's my next option ?? I was going to call the dealership tomorrow and ask about the service bulletin that was posted. I doubt it they will cover it, due to age, miles are low. Only 33,000. Thoughts?

I do have an EPS computer and an entire EPS rack for sale that I really need to get rid of PM me if you're interested.

has anyone had any success having dealer replace 97+ eps issues under goodwill or warranty?

I know the TSB is 95-96 but seems someone said their 97 was covered as well.

Thanks,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but my EPS light came on today while driving. The power steering still worked fine. I got to a stopping point and turned the car off and on again, the light was gone. Any idea what it could be? The car has a ne battery.

- - - Updated - - -
I have a 2001.

Last edited:
This is a Hail Mary; but, worth doing because it is easy and cheap. The EPS is sensitive to voltage. Since you have a new battery, check the condition of the clamps on the battery posts. It is very common for the battery clamp(s) to be over tightened after a new battery install which results in deformation of the clamp(s) leading to a poor connection at the battery. After gaining access to the battery, see if you can twist the clamps on the battery post. If you can, its time for new clamps on the cable. You can try the battery post shim trick to tighten up the clamp; but, that just tends to be a band aid.

I am not saying that this is your problem; but, it is easy to check and rule out before moving on to the more complex and expensive fixes. If the clamps are loose, they need replacement even if it isn't the cause of your EPS problem. It may save you from a no start condition late one night even if it doesn't fix the EPS.

Kaz has a detailed discussion on his NSX blog where he discusses problems with and the repair of the EPS controller.

Last edited:
eps is also affected by the ignition switch and speed sensor. just replaced both on my '94

Sorry to revive an old thread, but my EPS light came on today while driving. The power steering still worked fine. I got to a stopping point and turned the car off and on again, the light was gone. Any idea what it could be? The car has a ne battery.

- - - Updated - - -
I have a 2001.
Before going too much into the detail, please read the error code.
Never remove the fuse or disconnect the battery before reading the error code.
You need to use the blue 2pin SCS connector at the passenger footwell for this and not the OBD2 port.

If you saw the EPS light while driving but you didn't lose the power assistance despite the EPS light stayed On until you shut the engine off, then there is only one failure mode for this.
Rest of the EPS failure modes will stop the power assistance and you will lose the EPS immediately until you re-start the engine with no EPS light or reset the error code.

You are very likely to have triggered EPS #33 code, mismatch between the VSS1 and VSS2 signals.

Did you get any other warning lights such as CEL, TCS or if your NSX is AT model, then flashing [D] indicator?
Did you see any strange behaviour with your speedo such as suddenly dropping to 0 or bouncing needle?

If the answers to the above questions are all 'No', then your VSS1 VSS signal is fine and thus, your EPS light was very likely to be triggered by loose VSS2 DF sensor connector or simply, DF sensor failed.
Did anyone work inside the engine bay especially under the air box area recently?

Several UK owners experienced this sensor failure suddenly without any signs/symptom and got EPS light but didn't lose the power assistance.

Any way, first thing first, please read the error code and start from there.

Kaz

Before going too much into the detail, please read the error code.
Never remove the fuse or disconnect the battery before reading the error code.
You need to use the blue 2pin SCS connector at the passenger footwell for this and not the OBD2 port.

If you saw the EPS light while driving but you didn't lose the power assistance despite the EPS light stayed On until you shut the engine off, then there is only one failure mode for this.
Rest of the EPS failure modes will stop the power assistance and you will lose the EPS immediately until you re-start the engine with no EPS light or reset the error code.

You are very likely to have triggered EPS #33 code, mismatch between the VSS1 and VSS2 signals.

Did you get any other warning lights such as CEL, TCS or if your NSX is AT model, then flashing [D] indicator?
Did you see any strange behaviour with your speedo such as suddenly dropping to 0 or bouncing needle?

If the answers to the above questions are all 'No', then your VSS1 VSS signal is fine and thus, your EPS light was very likely to be triggered by loose VSS2 DF sensor connector or simply, DF sensor failed.
Did anyone work inside the engine bay especially under the air box area recently?

Several UK owners experienced this sensor failure suddenly without any signs/symptom and got EPS light but didn't lose the power assistance.

Any way, first thing first, please read the error code and start from there.

Kaz

Thanks for the detailed response. I think it may be a battery issue after all. I thought the previous owner had changed the battery recently but after looking at it with my own eyes, it looks likes it a bit old. The car was rarely driven (I plan to change that). It ended up not starting on me last night after taking it out. Had to do a push start. I hooked it up to my charger in the garage so I'll see how that goes. There were no other lights other than the EPS light and everything else seemed to work fine.

Back