• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS To Manual Conversion?

Anyone done this? Whats required? If I buy the manual rack its a direct swap right? Whats next? Pull the EPS fuse and EPS control box? Where is that located? What about the idiot light in the dash (if there is one)... thanks!

you could do the swap and just open up the instrument cluster and pull the dummy light bulb from motherboard.

I've never driven an NSX without power steering but this is a tempting proposition. I would consider it a preemptive strike on the EPS system. Is the manual rack still available from Honda?

I dont think they are so any used you find on e-bay or prime are snatched up very quickly.

I have both manual and power and I must say the manual feels like your more intuned with the car and the road.

the power steering version kinda lacks that feeling

it may be back to the coupe vs the T argument again though

You can use your existing EPS rack with out the EPS control box connected. That control box is in the passenger side footwell behind the sub woofer. Three connectors. Unplug them and the idiot light light on the dash will not light up. You also won't have EPS but you will still have a rack and pinion steering rack.

Manual racks are hard to come by and eventually you will need to replace the bearings inside the rack. You might want to take a peak at the thread I started a month ago on this.

I already found a manual rack - i'm getting rid of the eps rack b/c it squeaks and has no serviceable parts inside it opposed to the manual rack that have bushings that can be replaced.

What other components can be removed after I get the manual rack installed?

1: EPS Computer behind sub woofer
2: Power steering pump? Where is this located and is it easy to remove?
3: Any other parts I can remove?

Last edited:
Look at this thread first;
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155401

Honda made it un-servicable but we figured out a way to repair EPS racks both torque sensor and bearings. You will eventually need to replace the bearings in a non EPS rack too.

Before throwing it out, find out what is wrong and you may be money ahead. Just saying...

Sorry I don't have much to contribute to helping you with your problem, but if you are going to get rid of the EPS rack, perhaps you might consider sending to D1_Guy to use a core replacement (I think that is the term) - that is if you aren't going to get it fixed by him and if you were just going to toss it.

I already found a manual rack - i'm getting rid of the eps rack b/c it squeaks and has no serviceable parts inside it opposed to the manual rack that have bushings that can be replaced.

ok EPS unit is OUT and new rebuilt manual rack is IN!

EPS computer is unplugged and loving the feeling........but its weird - While turning sharply, feels like the differential is kicking in....(The rear wheels chirp and squeak). is there some sort of incompatibility with the manual rack and the differential I have? Any ideas? Thx

anyone know? :confused:

you not use to the manual steering yet.

give it time. your arms will be double in size in weeks LOL

you not use to the manual steering yet.

give it time. your arms will be double in size in weeks LOL

well yea I get that but is it normal for the rear tires to chirp as if the diff is locking up? Does the steering ratio cause the diff to think there's wheel slippage or something?

Back