• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Euro (non-US) Spec headlights

I am about to join the NSX world and wonder about European-code headlights. All of my previous Mercedes, BMW's, and Porsche 911's were retrofitted with the Euro lights which are much better (and safer) than the US OEM product.

Is there an equivalent non-US Euro spec Honda OEM replacement set up? Obviously it would have to be non-Japan/non-UK because of the right-hand drive/left side of road orientation in those markets.

That is quite surprising. Fast cars in Europe need good lights. Thank you, Ken, for the reply.

Nice shot of the Integra and NSx at the track, by the way.

European Spec headlights

New information on this topic which is obviously of little interest to anyone! I have it on very good authority that indeed there are European code headlight assemblies as well as amber turn signal taillight lenses delivered on NSX's sold in Europe. Much better and safer than what we have here.

It was suggested that I find a UK Honda dealer from whom to purchase the E-code parts. Any NSX owners in the UK that could help on this one?

I could help, but I don't think you will see any difference.

We have a E mark on our lights, but they look the same. Magnsx on this forum has an Acura. She had to have them changed for Euro spec lights, so will know if it has made any difference.

Our rear lights do have amber turn signals, true.

You may want to try the Europa forum, there is a NSX breaker on there in Germany, which should be cheaper than buying new parts.

Thank you very much for your post. You have no idea how backward our lighting laws are in the "colonies". My Mercedes (US-spec) lights look the same and install in the cars in the exact way as the E-codes but are far less effective.

The one problem with getting anything from the UK would be the need to specify a "continental" , not UK light pattern (low left/high right vs. low right/high/left in GB). Obviously not a problem with the tail light lenses.

I don't believe there is any difference in beam patterns on left and right hand drive cars. Though there are arrows on the lenses pointing to the kerb side.

Reason: Usually lights 'kick-up' towards to kerb side if you know what I mean. The NSX does not. Certainly the kerb side of the car's lights are higher but this is because the alignment is set that way.

Like I said Dirk can help (the German breaker). http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17043

The bulbs are different. We have H4, you have 9000something. We also have motorised height adjustment assemblies.

Oh there is a definite difference in the patterns which I discovered during my search for E-code lights for a US-spec E500. A vender sent the UK version which meant the flat beam rose to the left (toward on-coming traffic in the US). A switch of the lenses rectified the error. I assume your NSX has a sharp, flat line that angles up at 45 degrees at the left side. Europe has the angle to the right for obvious reasons.

Agree completely about the bulbs. Both my M-B's with their E-code lights use the H4/H1 bulb combination.

Thank you for the link, by the way.

I believe the E Code NSX headlights use H1 in their projectors as compared to the 9006 we use in the USDM projectors. However, what people are saying is that in the NSX you will not see any significant difference because the USDM NSX projetor headlights are already very good especially with HIDs. I know what you mean with other cars, as the E spec lights were much better than the USDM spec lights for my 95 BMW, but the difference will not be the same if at all with the NSX lights. I would save your money on the headlightgs. As for the tail lights, I know SOS sells the JDM tail lights that flash an amber turn signal, however, the entire lens is then tinted a dark red for a a monotone color. The amp turn signal only shows amber when it is lite up.

More on headlights

Chris K. raises an interesting point. Since he has a '95 BMW, he is familiar with my frame of reference. Is the consensus in the US among NSX owners that a HID mod to existing lights is the best route to better visibility? By the way the car I am buying is a 1991.

Charley C.

I second that, I had HID on it, and I'm very very satisfy with the beam pattern. The previous owner of the car had the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, and it was also way better than any stock lights I ever encounter with.

I believed my car had the USM housing, and it does have the distintive cut off and it's angled to the right.

FYI, mine is also a 91.

Seems like they make the nsx to the top standard no matter what market the car is going to... So no comprimises on the light matter.

In Response to: "That is quite surprising. Fast cars in Europe need good lights." IF you think the USM lights on the NSX is no good, you obviously would not like 95% of the stock lighting in US. (Including the Stock HID.) And I'm even more sure that You had never ride a Ducati at night. :D

That brought up an interesting question, people in old ages rode horses, how could they rode so fast at the old times.?? ( I mean they not only need to turn, sometime they even have to get the horse to jump and stuff...)

Re: More on headlights

atatexan said:
Chris K. raises an interesting point. Since he has a '95 BMW, he is familiar with my frame of reference. Is the consensus in the US among NSX owners that a HID mod to existing lights is the best route to better visibility? By the way the car I am buying is a 1991.

Charley C.

The big difference between the NSX and at least the E36 I had is that the NSX uses very good projectors already. The reflector 9006 in the BMW definately can't match the EDMs projectors or Ellipsoids as they like to call them:) I've done many 9006 and H4 halogen to HID conversion for various cars with varying results, and I have to agree that the 9006 USDM NSX projectors do take very well to HIDs. It is almost like a stock OEm HID projector. Now, it is still not quite as defined as the stock HID projectors in my wife Lexus, but it is very well defined and it definately has a stock like beam pattern. Most people will not notice a difference unless you are directly comparing an OEM HID projector to the NSX HID retrofit. It has a nice OEM like stair step horizantal cutoff, although the cutoff is just a little less controlled. That is just my experience on my own cars. All said and done, I don't think there will be an appreciable difference between the EDM H1 NSX lights and the USDM 9006 NSX lights especially of you convert to HID. My friend and I just was thinking of this same modification and was in touch with some of his European friends, and we all came to the conclusion that it is probably not worth the time and price. Both are projectors, both have a glass lens.

Back