• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ever had blown engines for NSX ??

MvM

Legendary Member
I was in discussion the other day with someone who likes the BMW M3 very much. I pointed out that this is indeed a very competent and fast(er) car but that BMW seems to have a problem with the current 3.2liter/343HP engine which frequently blows up even when new and broken in properly.
I was asked if NSX-engines never blew up. So, here's the question. Does anyone know of any NSX-engines (or Type-R engines in Integras or Civi's) blowing up. Might be usefull to know when this might or will happen. Supercharged or turbo-charged engine info would also be welcome.

I know of only two instances of NSX engines blowing up, and I believe both occurred due to oil starvation at high speed on high-banked oval tracks, where there are extremely high, sustained lateral g forces.

The M3 problem is believed to be solved. The problem was a machining error much like the early NSX transmission case.
There have been some timing belt failures on the NSX also but as I didn't change the belt for 12 years it is hardly Acura's fault.

Tony,
Good to hear the M3-E46 problem is solved. Do you know if there is a engine serial-number range or VIN-range to avoid with the M3 (as in snapring-range)?

Regarding the E46 engine failures, defer him to this link for more info: http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm

They are on failure #63. What sucks about it all is that BMWNA isn't covering quite a few of the 6-speeds under warranty; when they pull the ECU to read the history, they say the owner overrevved at the magical number of 8560 or something like that.

However, the SMG-II's can't theoretically overrev so BMWNA has been covering their failures under warranty. Interestingly enough, some of the ECU's pulled from the SMG-II's say they were overrevved. <shrug>

Michael.

------------------
1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

[This message has been edited by mdoan300 (edited 23 July 2002).]

Hey guys,

I brought this post back from the dead because I am now paranoid over the possibility that the NSX engine could blow. The reason I am having this fear, which I have not had before, is because of a post I read on the Supra forum. Said post is a comparison between the NSX and the Supra. Anyway on page four or five of the thread, there is mention of a couple of NSX engines blowing up.

Here is the thread.
http://www.i-supra.com/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=154607117&f=349609257&m=1886019811&p=1

I always always get suckered in to those threads even though I rarely post in them. If any of you got suckered in to reading the entire thread, I am sorry.

I know there is always the chance for an engine to blow but...some engines have a higher propensity than others. I know the NSX engine is not flawed like some of the M3's engines, but is there at least some sort of test I can run prior to purchase that may give me an indication if it could blow?

They also said a replacement engine would cost 20K? I am assuming that is for a brand new engine? Are there other options to remedy such a catastrophic failure?

Guys, please put my mind at ease.

Thanks for anyone who responds.

M3 faster than an NSX, hardly, I know real well from first hand experience. Evenly match, with notch to the driver or to which vehicle who had the jump first. Ohh yeah, Where the heck is that 325 hp Trans Am WS6, and the 99 Cobra, dude, I was gone, 2 cars length in the beginning, and by the time we reach 130 mph, It was ugly. Enough said, and the drivers was cool, too.

Originally posted by Edwardo:
I am now paranoid over the possibility that the NSX engine could blow. The reason I am having this fear, which I have not had before, is because of a post I read on the Supra forum. Said post is a comparison between the NSX and the Supra. Anyway on page four or five of the thread, there is mention of a couple of NSX engines blowing up.

The Supra forums are notorious for spreading false information about other cars in order to tout their overweight muscle car. Don't believe anything you read there.

Unless you're driving your NSX around a high-banked oval, NSX ENGINES DO NOT BLOW UP.

Originally posted by Edwardo:
They also said a replacement engine would cost 20K? I am assuming that is for a brand new engine? Are there other options to remedy such a catastrophic failure?

Such catastrophic failures do not occur. But it's also worth noting that used 3.0-liter NSX engines are easy to find for $5K or less. 3.2-liter NSX engines are not as easy to find and fetch somewhat more than that.

Any engine can blow up, but the NSX engine does not have any fundamental design flaws which lead to an abnormal number of problems. Failure rates are very low.

If that guy really knows someone with a '98 NSX that is on their thrird engine and second transmission, it's because the car is being seriously abused, not because there is a problem with the car itself.

Well, of all the Supra owners in that forum, I'm more inclined to believe this guy:

nsx

I hate it when this topic comes up because everyone thinks they know the answer.This place has a few that always bash the car but have never owned it.here is an honest opinion from someone who owns both.The NSX is twice the car the Supra is.The build quality is 100% better.Ive seen braking from 60 in 109 ft but Ive also seen that from the Supra.My NSX brakes better than my Supra.The NSX does not run to 60 in 5.8 as my almost stock car(ie K/N,RM exhaust) went 12.80 @ 109 in the quarter and my NSX handles better than my Supra.My NSX also weighed in at 2900 pounds while the Supra weighed 3440 before the single.All in all it can be summed up as you get what you pay for.Is the NSX worth 90 grand...Hell no it isnt.If money is no object then it should be considered.You can now buy a used,low mileage car for 30k and add a Paxton to it for another 6k and have a low 12,high 11 second car.There are plenty of faster cars out there but very few are so good in every aspect as the NSX is.My NSX just won "Best of Show" at NOPI here 2 weeks ago while my beautiful single turbo Supra with perfect body work and fully detailed motor didnt win shit.Even I was a little surprised at that.

Joe

1993.5 Supra T-61
1997 Viper GTS
1997 NSX S/C

heh, I love joe's reply
smile.gif

Okay, I keep reading and reading the thread linked above and for the most part, there are some NSX advocates among Supra owners. Go figure.

Anyways, I came across this post. Can someone explain to me the part I placed in bold face?

Some people fail to realize that the NSX caters to a different set of people entirely. Those who shops for an NSX will not even consider a Supra or a Corvette. Lets put it this way, alot of you say with that kinda of money you can get a Supra, mod it and get into the 9's. Well, they could have and they didn't. Also, I remember some person posting a 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds for the NSX. 5.8 seconds is the time of an NSX equipped with an automatic transmission and 18-32 less hp depending on model year.

Here are some good references:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/performancenums.htm

Stock for stock I don't think the Supra is better than the NSX. Those that think so is clearly biased. I applaud those Supra owners that share my same thinking. I personally have driven an NSX and its very different from my '97 Supra Turbo. I can tell u the Supra "feels" faster, but thats because its turbochaged. The linear acceleration of the NSX gives u the impression that u aren't accelerating that fast, when u actually are.

We all know turbo cars have definitie advantage in the modding department. An N/A car is at a disadvantage.

I also read in a Car Magazine that the NSX uses titanium rods that cost more than an entire hyundai, an all aluminum body, hand built, and a 20+ step paint process. The article also mentioned that Honda loses money each year on the NSX. They also mentioned that Honda is one of a few manufacturers that adheres to
the 280hp gentlemen's agreement in Japan. Try building a car that can achieve that performance with that power restriction with just aerodynamics and lightness in the Supra. Not easy u know.

Here are some more magazine articles:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/magazine.htm

A recent magazine tested the handling feel of the Ferrari Enzo and the NSX came up as a peer in that department. Not bad IMHO.

As far as reliability and quality goes. JD Power and Associated once ranked the NSX as the most reliable car. Not just sports cars, but all cars. Beating out the Lexus LS and Infiniti Q for top honors.

I honestly feel that those who buy the NSX will consider cars like the SC430, Mercedes CL or SL, etc. If I had $89K, the NSX would be in my garage and not the cars I just mentioned.

What "gentleman's agreement?"

There is a "gentlemen's agreement" in Japan that no car should be rated higher than 280 horsepower. That's using their method of measuring horsepower, which is off slightly (1-2 percent) from the bhp (brake horsepower) method commonly used in North America; I'm not sure exactly how many bhp their 280 hp equals.

Japan has come out with a few models over the years (e.g. Skyline) with higher than 280 hp but they still call them 280 hp in their marketing materials.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys. I probably should not have listened to those folks over there anyway.

One last question. For the pre purchase inspection, are there any tests I should have them run? Compression test? Leakdown?

I guess the technician will know what to do...right?

Thanks guys!

I forgot to add that when I do buy, I will take it to an Acura dealer for the inspection.

Prior to that I will print out the used car buyer checklist on the FAQ so I can check most of the other issues myself before paying a mechanic.

Thanks

Edwardo,

Buy it in the next few weeks so that you can attend NSXPO 2002. It's the most fun you can have with your NSX, and this year it's in your neck of the woods.

Ken,

I have really tried hard to get an NSX before NSXPO. Unfortunately it just has not happened.

I need to see how I buy a ticket to get in. I would like to watch some racing and meet some folks.

Hey, is someone going to make some NSX shirts with our handle and avatar on it? I thought someone was going to do that so we could recognize each other?

The Japanese cars are listed in "PS". Here's an explanation from "The Gunman":

"PS is actually short for pferdestarke, and the Japanese are quite keen on using it. To convert from PS to horsepower, 1.0 Japanese PS = 0.98632 BHP."

-- Chris

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
There is a "gentlemen's agreement" in Japan that no car should be rated higher than 280 horsepower. That's using their method of measuring horsepower, which is off slightly (1-2 percent) from the bhp (brake horsepower) method commonly used in North America; I'm not sure exactly how many bhp their 280 hp equals.

Japan has come out with a few models over the years (e.g. Skyline) with higher than 280 hp but they still call them 280 hp in their marketing materials.

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Originally posted by Joel:
Well, of all the Supra owners in that forum, I'm more inclined to believe this guy:

nsx

I hate it when this topic comes up because everyone thinks they know the answer.This place has a few that always bash the car but have never owned it.here is an honest opinion from someone who owns both.The NSX is twice the car the Supra is.The build quality is 100% better.Ive seen braking from 60 in 109 ft but Ive also seen that from the Supra.My NSX brakes better than my Supra.The NSX does not run to 60 in 5.8 as my almost stock car(ie K/N,RM exhaust) went 12.80 @ 109 in the quarter and my NSX handles better than my Supra.My NSX also weighed in at 2900 pounds while the Supra weighed 3440 before the single.All in all it can be summed up as you get what you pay for.Is the NSX worth 90 grand...Hell no it isnt.If money is no object then it should be considered.You can now buy a used,low mileage car for 30k and add a Paxton to it for another 6k and have a low 12,high 11 second car.There are plenty of faster cars out there but very few are so good in every aspect as the NSX is.My NSX just won "Best of Show" at NOPI here 2 weeks ago while my beautiful single turbo Supra with perfect body work and fully detailed motor didnt win shit.Even I was a little surprised at that.

Joe

1993.5 Supra T-61
1997 Viper GTS
1997 NSX S/C

Haha , Sometimes the truth hurts.There are actually a lot of Supra owners that respect the NSX just not Guilly.He is entitled to his opinion,just dont try changing his mind cause he's as stubborn as "Old number 7"

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T BBSC Spa Yellow
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa,K/N

Originally posted by nsxbadboy:
just not Guilly.

That guy is still around?

I recall he subscribed to the NSX mailing list years ago and there were some NASTY flame wars between him and several NSXers. That was back in '97/'98... I suppose he is sticking to his story even after all these years.

Had one Grenade in front of me 2 days ago.

Please excuse the goofy handle. I registered in a hurry and mispelled my own online name.

Love the NSX, by the way.

Was admiring one on highway 309 outside of Allentown, PA the other day when the driver decided to take off in a hurry. Don't know if it was a money shift or some other issue, but the motor grenaded (spectacularly) about 200 yards in front of me. So it is possible.

My S54 powered M3 never missed a beat in many track days (but that doesn't mean I didn't worry about it.). Typical cause with those cars is selecting the wrong gear causing an over-rev, but the owners won't tell you that.

Re: Had one Grenade in front of me 2 days ago.

Please excuse the goofy handle. I registered in a hurry and mispelled my own online name.

Love the NSX, by the way.

Was admiring one on highway 309 outside of Allentown, PA the other day when the driver decided to take off in a hurry. Don't know if it was a money shift or some other issue, but the motor grenaded (spectacularly) about 200 yards in front of me. So it is possible.

My S54 powered M3 never missed a beat in many track days (but that doesn't mean I didn't worry about it.). Typical cause with those cars is selecting the wrong gear causing an over-rev, but the owners won't tell you that.

Wow, thanks for the input. Never thought someone would ever reopen this old thread :smile:
Do you know if that particular NSX was modded or just stock?

Coincidentally, I friend of mine had the exact opposite happening in Gemany some years back. Driving behind a BMW M3 (or Z8, same engine), that car's engine blew up, spraying his just newly painted black NSX with hot oil.
He wasn't very happy about that, but I'm sure the BMW owner was even more p.o.-ed.

Honda makes the most reliabel engines ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6f-rEJwAWU&feature=related
Especialy the vtec engines. Many have stated that in diffrent tests.

What can cause a engine to blow up. There are many aspects of why a engine is "blown". But I think the main issue is maintenace and the driverstyle. Even a good engine can crack with the "right" driver behind the wheels or lack of maintenance!

The more power you pull out of the engine, the more maintenance is requierd.

I have worked on Honda engines for some years. As for the apprentice time I worked at a Toyota workshop. I still choose honda before toyota. Because of the reliablity.

And I think many share my vison of that topic.

-I have had 3 toyota supras ;)
-And many more Hondas

Back