• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Everest

I dunno, he started struggling pretty early on this year, it seemed to me he was in better shape last year. On the other hand, he may very well have made it last year if he hadn't left camp 4 late and gotten stuck in that traffic jam. If I were him, I would have done what the 71 year old guy is doing and bring up 3 bottles of oxygen instead of 2 just to make sure.

Tough call, but I'm going to say he doesn't make it.

I hope he makes it. He reminds me of a lot of my biker friends I had when I was younger. Most of them are gone now so I am seeing them in Tim. He reminds me so much of my friend George Faucet who died in a car accident a few years ago. George and Tim could have been brothers, both of them pretty pig headed. Go get'em Tim.

I hope he makes it too. I'm not a big fan of "bikers" from past experiences I've had with them, but still I feel like he's the underdog and would like to see him succeed. I'm sure in real life I probably would not get along with him. I hate that whole "you have to respect me because I'm a bad-ass biker or I'll kill you" attitude. What have these people done to earn my respect? Oh you mean the obnoxiously loud bikes and revving the motor for 5 minutes after starting it and waking my kids up respect? Uh, yeah......

I hope he makes it too. I'm not a big fan of "bikers" from past experiences I've had with them, but still I feel like he's the underdog and would like to see him succeed. I'm sure in real life I probably would not get along with him. I hate that whole "you have to respect me because I'm a bad-ass biker or I'll kill you" attitude. What have these people done to earn my respect? Oh you mean the obnoxiously loud bikes and revving the motor for 5 minutes after starting it and waking my kids up respect? Uh, yeah......

Hmmm. That has never been my experience with any of the biker crowd I hung around with. Actually just the opposite. They were the most friendly, trustworthy, honest, hardworking guys I knew at the time. I can't ever remember them fighting or stealing. I can remember having a party at my place and if you were to look around you would think the whole place would be trashed. These guys picked up afterward and respected me and my home as if it were their own. I had a couple of thousand dollars in my wallet that I forgot was in my pants pocket laying on the bedroom floor and it was still there when they left. They all did have pretty loud bikes though. Larry LaHart was the guy who built most of those bikes, he died at 49, hard living for sure. Probably the best welder I have ever known.

There were these two brothers, AKA the ugly brothers, they had this old 50's pickup. They made their own moonshine, more like paint remover. George was drinking it for a while and then I noticed he was passed out. Later I saw him walking around with his long hair sticking straight out. He had thrown up and it had hardened in his hair. LOL.

Those guys use to throw a big party every spring to kick off summer. Live bands and lots of fun. The drummer from BOC was at one of those parties and played in the band.

Bikers are huge car nuts too. Some of the nicest really old vettes I have ever seen were at those parties.

Tim is being a little selfish at this point, lets see how this pans out.

I was thinking the same thing. If it was just him at risk, that would be fine, he went way beyond that. I won't post anything specific for 24 hours because of people with TiVo not wanting to have anything spoiled (like someone did to me in the Battlestar Galactica thread earlier this year) but this thread is fair game tomorrow night :).

Well, I have to say the last couple of episodes were downhill after Tim made it back... well except for when Mogens almost took a nice drive off the mountain. Like him or not, Tim is by far the most interesting character. Watching this REALLY makes me want to try, but then I say WTF am I thinking, I hate even going outside when it's cold and if given the option, would be OK with never seeing snow again.

I wonder if there will be a season 3. Russell must make a killing at almost $50K per person, plus I imaging a good portion of the video rights. I wonder how much Sherpas get paid.

From season 1, this is funny... a sack of cash?!? He carried a sack of $50K in cash halfway around the world? :) Maybe he just took it out of some bank account, but I can picture him carrying it on the plane without declaring it.

Tim Medvetz
Climber (United States)

A fun-loving risk taker who designs Harley-Davidson motorcycles in Hollywood, Calif., Tim Medvetz was a last-minute addition to the expedition, having arrived in Kathmandu with cash for his climbing fee in a sack. Tim's considerable stature (he stands 6'5") puts him at a decided disadvantage for a mountaineer, as do the metal plates and pins that hold his spine, ankle and part of his skull together — the result of a near-fatal bike crash.

I would watch another season for sure. I think Mogens was nuts to think he could have made it with out oxygen.

He looked pretty good last year, this year he just fell apart. This was what, his 4th attempt? Now that everyone has made it, if there's a 3rd season of this show, we'll probably have all new people.

He looked pretty good last year, this year he just fell apart. This was what, his 4th attempt? Now that everyone has made it, if there's a 3rd season of this show, we'll probably have all new people.

Wanta go? We can cap a flag on the top, "NSXPRIME"

I believe the show stated that 500+ people made the summit this year, 7 dead. I also recall a stat of 1 in 4 who attempt the climb make the summit. So out of 2000+ attempted, 7 people died? That's not so bad. I'll bet if there were 2000 people who rode on your jet skis, about the same number would die from crashing...

I'm in! :tongue:

Ah, yeah...I'm gonna need one of those extra strong Sherpa's to carry up a generator for my electric blankey. 13 below ZERO here in NY tonight with the wind chill.

Back