• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Evolution or STi

Gentlemen,

I love both cars, but would incline to the Evolution due to its awesome styling, performance and reputation. I've grown up watching Jackie Chan movies where you always get a scoop on the new Mitsubishi prototypes. Now we have two awesome competing vehicles coming to the US. The STi will come with a little more power but at the little more cost.

In Asia, the battle has been going on for so long and I anticipate the same type of heat here in the US whether on the street or in sales figures.

With Mitsubishi being an exclusive sponsor for 2Fast2Furious (Evolution and Eclipse Spyder being the two star vehicles), I'm sure the sales will soar after the movie hits the theaters in June. I know I'm getting in line for one.

Anyone else out there planning to buy this vehicle?

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Here's why i'll pick the STI:
- 2.5 L has a lot more potential than the Evo's 2.0 L.
- 6 speeds vs. 5 speed on the Lancer
- More power and torque
- Aftermarket dual PIAA like headlights looks awesome
- STI's opposing 4 engine layout has a lower center of gravity
- Aftermarket parts are already available

I'm with you on all of the options you've listed...especially the 6-speed, more power and the unique boxer engine.

Mitsubshi 3000GT was my first car and somehow I'm just crazy for Mitsubishi's racing heritage and reputation. Subaru STi is an excellent car nevertheless....

price for EVO: msrp $28,975
STi: around $32,500

Not many options are available so price should be fairly close unless greedy dealers decide to ruin the fun again.

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 06 February 2003).]

Neither.

Both cars perform nicely, but I just can't get past the looks.

With the exception of the boy racer (or is it ricer) add-ons, both look like Aunt Mabel's sedan.

If I were interested in a sports sedan, I'd be looking at Audi, BMW, etc.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
2003 MINI Cooper S - On Order - All Black
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

sold out for the year...unlikely.

just called and my local dealer wants $10k over msrp for the 8 cars they're getting next month....i should've laughed in his face and hang up. i'll just go for the brochure, nothing more.

i used to believe in premiums...not anymore after my S2000. i'm no longer willing to pay even a dime over msrp.

the 350Z is already for sale at or below msrp. with the evolution or STi, i'll just wait until the time is right. i'm sure there are msrp dealers out there, but i bet the waiting list is pretty long....

besides, i think i'm going to hold out a little longer to wait for them to fix first year bugs....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

-Jim
[/B][/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------
You're comparing apples and oranges in terms of price and as an owner of German sedans for
the last 19 years, quality.

Hmm..this is a difficult one to decide. I'd prob. take the Sti over the Evo just because I don't like Mitsu's reliability/durability issue. I've owned enough Mitsu Bobtails in the past 10 years to say "Never again!" That's not too surprising coming from a Honda guy, eh?
smile.gif

Sti over evo, Subi's are about as reliable as Honda's, Mitsu's...well...are not.
MSRP of $32.5 plus possible $10K dealer markup(holy cow)...isnt that nearing S4 territory?

yes, with both being $10k over msrp, that gives more options to the buyers. speaking of S4, the recent auto mags (automobile, car&driver) gave me disappointing news. how can audi produce a 339hp, V8 engine and come up with a 0-60 time of 5.6-5.8sec? that's in line with the current S4. though it's 10k+ cheaper than competitors such as the M3, C32 and Jac type-S, the performance is not even in par....

the reliability of subarus has been known for a while, but the evo may be just as reliable. i don't think it's fair to judge the reliability of the evo based on previous mitsubishi vehicles. as it comes to its 8th generation, i'm sure quality should not be a question.

with a $10k markup on both, i just cannot justify buying either one at this time. i guess i'll have to be patient with this one...

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Neither.

Both cars perform nicely, but I just can't get past the looks.

With the exception of the boy racer (or is it ricer) add-ons, both look like Aunt Mabel's sedan.

-Jim

I' also agree...Drove in the M5 very impressive.

Back to Honda, I drove the Pilot very spacious, not enough bag for the greenback. Drove the new Toyo 4 Runner, the V8 was nice, not sold on the new body style yet.
Later Wadasan

Originally posted by Blue Knight:
...my local dealer wants $10k over msrp for the 8 cars they're getting next month....

I hate dealers like these. Don't they realize that a major reason for the EVO's popularity is its low cost of admission and high bang-for-the-buck factor?

Slapping a $10k premium on that car pretty much defeats the car's intended "spirit."

If they can get fools to fork over that kind of premium, then more power to them.

But I hope the marketplace realizes that there are many other superior alternatives at those premium pricing points.

Is there a way to get car enthusiasts around the US to boycott such premium tagged vehicles???

Once the demand and waiting lists die down, I think dealers will start to change their mentality on "it's limited and we're going to charge an arm and a leg to get them suckers out there".

What will the world come to if we have to wait a year before costs go down to MSRP on new models??? With 6500 units coming to the US in the first year, the $10k premium is a joke....

Though some may not care about the high premium they're paying to get the "first" batch, but just when they drive down the road thinking "Look everyone, I'm driving one of the first batches and you're not".....in reality, we think "Haa....another sucker got tagged with a $10k premium, not us".....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 11 February 2003).]

Yes, it only applies to Japanese domestic cars....somehow their 280bhp cars are tuned for optimal performance....of course, they don't have such strict emission and crash standards compared to California....we always get a few more lbs due to emissions compared to the other states.

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Hi Guys

Being an owner of a Evo and driven many Subaru on track I personally feel that Evo's are better.
Just come off the phone from a friend swapping his Subaru RA for a EVO.
I had a EVO V that I took from 280Bhp to 420BHP.
I do have a EVO 1V for sale at £13K on a 96 if anyone wants it.

Go to www.monsterevo.co.uk
For more info.

Dale
NSX 1

Originally posted by Welsh Dragon:
Hi Guys

Being an owner of a Evo and driven many Subaru on track I personally feel that Evo's are better.
---------------------------------------------
Have you driven the 2.5 L STI or only the 2.0 L?

Back