• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ex-President Says Honda 'Inferior,' 'Headed Downhill'

Did you guys read today's article about Honda in the L.A. Times Business section?

I was shocked to see that, despite its record profits in the U.S., Honda sales are down something like 10% in Japan! :eek:

Depressing...makes me even more worried about the future of our beloved car.

Found the article

Ex-President Says Honda 'Inferior,' 'Headed Downhill'
Director raises concerns about the automaker's management reshuffle and its ability to achieve steady growth in the shadow of Toyota.

By Yuri Kageyama, Associated Press

Honda has racked up its best profits in its half-century history and earned a quality ranking that U.S. automakers can only wish for.

So why is the former president of Honda Motor Corp. calling the No. 2 Japanese automaker "inferior" and saying it's "headed downhill"?

Nobuhiko Kawamoto, Honda's president from 1990 to 1998, said he felt "a sense of crisis" for Honda because its growth has always been precarious as it tries to keep up with Toyota Motor Corp., Japan's top automaker. Kawamoto, who now acts as advisor and director at Honda, also is concerned about a reshuffling of the company's top management.

Honda, whose U.S. operations are based in Torrance, does have its problems.

Despite booming sales in the United States — about 60% of the company's total — Honda is losing ground at home in Japan, a notoriously finicky and brand-conscious market. And the tide is expected to turn soon in North America, where analysts say sales have been inflated by rebates and other discount campaigns.

Honda President Hiroyuki Yoshino announced his resignation last month, earlier than expected, in what was widely interpreted as an acknowledgment that younger leadership is needed to rev up the company image at home and ride out growing global competition.

Yoshino, 63, said he was getting too old and his hand-picked successor, 58-year-old Takeo Fukui, the former head of Honda's North American manufacturing operations, should steer the automaker's three-year strategy that is being set up this year.

Kawamoto said the timing of the change wasn't right, and that Yoshino should have waited until Honda was back on a path toward steady growth before handing over his job.

Kawamoto acknowledged that he was worried about Fukui's ability to maintain high morale among his workers to keep up with Toyota, which has twice as many workers and dealer showrooms. Toyota also has a wider variety of models including trucks.

"We're an inferior company compared with established companies like Toyota," he said. "Honda is headed downhill."

Honda is clearly out-muscled by Toyota, the world's third-largest automaker. Toyota has ambitions to control 15% of the global market by 2010, which would put it neck-and-neck with Detroit-based General Motors Corp., the No. 1 automaker in the world.

And Honda appears particularly small next to its rivals after a series of mergers and alliances.

Toyota and Honda are the only Japanese automakers that have avoided stock ownership alliances with foreign companies. Yoshino said maintaining Honda's independence was his biggest achievement during his tenure.

Kawamoto is concerned that Honda won't be able to keep up its recent solid performance.

The automaker posted its best profit in its history — $3.6 billion — for the fiscal year ended March 31. That was an 18% increase from the previous year.

And Honda scored higher than U.S. automakers this month in a key quality study of 2003 models, trailing only Toyota, Porsche and BMW in the annual report from J.D. Power & Associates.

Company executives are more confident than Kawamoto.

"Technology is what got us this far, so it will be technology that we'll be counting on under Fukui," Honda Chairman Yoshihide Munekuni said. "He is the kind of man that clearly moves toward his goal. A company should never lose its youth and vitality."

But this year is almost certain to be tough for Honda. Besides an anticipated slowing of North American sales, Honda's business stands to be hurt by the declining U.S. dollar, which reduces the value of its overseas earnings.

And Honda is struggling at home. For the quarter ended in March, Honda sold 221,000 vehicles in Japan, down 10.5% from the same period a year ago.

The Toyota Wish minivan and Corolla sedan clinched the top spots in the Japanese market in April, dethroning the Honda Fit, which had been No. 1 for nearly all of last year.

The Fit, which is not sold in the United States but is sold as the Jazz in Europe, won buyers with its mileage of 54 miles per gallon and roomy interior despite its small size.

These days, Toyota has six of Japan's top 10 sellers. It controls 42.3% of the Japanese market compared with Honda's 15%.

"The Fit effect has peaked out," said Hitoshi Onishi, auto analyst at Cosmo Securities Co. in Tokyo. "Producing hit after hit is just impossible to sustain."

Thanks for posting akira3D.

That certainly is very interesting. When I read articles and reports like this, there always seems to be an assumption that bigger is better, which always frustrates me.

As the article mentions, Toyota's goal is to be top car company in the world. But, so what if Honda is #2 in Japan and if the gap between #1 and #2 is getting a little bigger, as long as Honda can sustain itself at #2 and continue to produce innovative vehicles?

Nothing would disappoint me more than to see Honda put its emphasis on technology and innovation on the backburner to shift its priorities on trying to compete in volume against a giant like Toyota.

In a way, this parallels the various past threads regarding the mass-producing the NSX.

I recall reading (several years ago) how BMW does not want to be a large company and would prefer to remain one of the smallest manufacturers because this allows to company to be dynamic and stick to its roots. I view Honda in a similar way.

It seems to me that too many companies set their goals on being #1. Am I being naive when I think that a company should accept not being a leader and spend its energy on being innovative (and count on its innovation to drive sales)?

Okay, enough rambling.

I also wonder what context 'inferior' was taken out of.

I find many times these comments by former CEO's are sour grapes, although he does make some points about what is held important in Japan even though 60% of its sales are in the US. I remember a few months ago Toyota saying they were gonna do NASCAR truck racing and now I see their motives, via his statements if correct.

While its hard to argue the profits and other #'s the models have not done much for me IMO, like they use too, but i'm a old guy of 41.....not into the RSX, Eliment or whatever the new thing is that looks like a Yugo mini-van The Acura line takes for ever to make changes as we all know, but hey don't see them as going in the dumper yet.

I believe Honda is publically traded in Japan. That means investors, all-too-often being clue-challenged types who don't know the difference between what makes their stock go up and what actually makes the company better, are probably clamoring for more, bigger, better, faster, harder, deeper... er, wait, I'm on a totally different subject now, but you get the idea.

So this guy's been dealing with pressure from investors for a while to do things his company is not currently doing, and may possibly not even be interested in doing. At long last, he's had enough, retires early, and goes to the media to blow off steam. I'm sure anyone who's blown off steam knows it's not always done in a rational or accurate manner, but rather just based on whatever subject is handy and whoever is willing to listen.

So, in all, I'm not surprised by and not terribly concerned about his remarks.

BTW, I don't know any other auto maker that caters to all levels of the north american market which has such a good reputation for quality and car longevity. A Toyota is better than the average american car, but it's still not a Honda. Quantity is not everything, and based on past experience in my family with four Hondas and two Acuras, I'm staying brand-loyal until I hear something which at least comes close to the positive press Honda has enjoyed.

$3.6 billion in profit. not bad.;) I wonder what BMW and mitsubishi's auto division did last yr(similar size companies). Last week's WSJ mentioned that mistu had record profits for the 1st quarter of 2003. they were in the order of $320 million. That's $1.2- 1.3 billion in profit if the trend continues. That's still only 1/3 of Honda' profit.

regarding japan. Both mitsu and Honda lost sales in japan. I suspect this is a combination of slumping economy, and the inability of a smaller company to launch multiple trendy cars(unlike toyota).

Despite the sales being down...I guess The Honda FIt which beat the Corolla sales for the first time in 15-20 years is not good enough....maybe they should sell the FIT here....Id buy one....I saw those cars in japan and man they are like a minivan with tripmatic controls. That would raise profits for sure

Mike

Of course the EX-president (through '98) wants to discount record sales. It makes HIS accomplishments look better!! You always have to consider the source's motives.

I believe every non-exotic car company has its decade, as does the import/domestic car market and manufacturing.

There was a time not long ago where imports were very unreliable and unwanted. The style was small, compact, no options, and no power. In those days, everyone wanted domestic power, V8 juice. I guess this would be the late 70's early 80's. Aside from a Ferrari or a Porsche, no one seemed to care much about imports.

Enter mid to late 80's when the Accord, Civic, and Nissan Maxima begin to get noticed. Import quality, domestic abuse and unreliability are now factored in.

Everyone wanted a FORD, everyone hated FORD and wanted Chevy. Who wants a Chevy or a Ford, when theres Dodge? And so on and so forth. Ford will own this decade as far as domestics go.

Imports:
Everyone wanted a Maxima, no one wanted a Celica or any Toyota despite having some of the best engines, size was inferior in most models. Honda is there, but just a tiny hatch civic and accord.

Enter Honda's decade...Honda owned the 90's in the import market. Almost every Honda was the leader in its own category from the Civic, Prelude, and the Accord. Enter Acura/Honda. Acura though nice, competed with Lexus and Infiniti (other imports false American upper class trims). Toyota/Lexus owned the 90's because of Lexus and not Toyota. Only Acura's NSX sat as king of the hill while other Acura trims -though nice- took a back seat to the Lexus. Everyone had/has an Acura/Honda, no one had a Nissan anymore aside from the dime a dozen Altimas and Maxima's. No one cared for Toyota outside of the 1993 Supra. Mazda made a very strong but failed push with its cars ranging from the Miata to the overhyped, overtuned, and quickly blown Rx7 in the US (tragedy).

Today:

Honda has failed to evolve while its import competitors, in hopes of knocking Honda off the map, have done nothing but evolve.

Honda's overall styling and attractiveness has seriously gone down with most of its new models and have left its current customer base still looking at and wanting the '99 and older models.

This decade will be owned by Nissan as they have nothing but impressive vehicles in the entire lineup. Reliability? That remains to be seen in Nissan. But as the decades of leadership change, so does the markets demands. Honda has failed miserably outside of the economy car needs.

Honda will never get to the point where it becomes obsolete, there will always be a large customer base, and Honda will continue to make overall, a quality product. However, Honda will in fact take a back seat this decade to its competitors in both design and power. Basic leapfrog game between Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

FYI - Mitsubishi will always suck.

They should build what most American males want Pick-up trucks! What has been the best selling vehicles for the past decade..... you got it- good ole american pick-ups. Toyota and Nissan has figured this out, what's taking Honda so long?

Gosh dang, they should have chosen me for Honda president!

topdaytrader said:
DUH!!!!!! STI, EVO, 350Z, G35c is selling like hot cakes. Honda has nothing new to attract buyers. They care more about their profit than their customers.
do you think honda had profits in mind when they developed the s2000 and NSX?

Trucks? They tried!

nsxfiero.jpg

But...

rearview.jpg

topdaytrader said:
DUH!!!!!! STI, EVO, 350Z, G35c is selling like hot cakes. Honda has nothing new to attract buyers. They care more about their profit than their customers.

How is the STI selling like hotcakes? Where exactly? I assume you mean the US since you mention the G35 Coupe (which was only recently announced for Japan and is really a US car), yet the STI isn't out in the US yet. In Japan, they don't make enough STIs to "sell like hotcakes", and they dont plan to here either.

Also odd that Honda is still the number 2 Japanese auto manufacturer despite all of these models "selling like hotcakes". Mitsu has actually slumped, by the way.

If you hate Honda so much, why do you post here other than to be antagonistic?

As for profit, that's all ANY company cares about, or have you not figured that out yet?

After all of this, good old GM (rarely accused of getting ANYTHING right) is STILL NUMBER ONE by a pretty big margin. That should tell you something about how much intrinsic value there is in simply being the biggest; not much.

I'd say take former CEO and "TopDayTrader" comments with a grain of salt...

Well the Honda designers need to get a clue. The new Accord looks damn fugly, especially compared to the older generation. I like the Civic better.

With that said, the Honda Pilot is pretty sweet, as well as their Acura MDX. However, Honda clearly needs to evolve their design to be more outrageous, but sleeker like the Nissan vehicles. The current Accords are a huge disappointment...

Back