• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exedy clutch/short gears/and more reviews

Picked up my car last Friday and wanted to share my opinions on my new mods.

I. Quick background

- daily driver 1996 NSX-T
- no previous engine or drivetrain mods
- I've never driven a racing clutch before, so your experience may differ from mine

II. Mods and price (parts/labor)

- OEM JDM NSX-R short gears ($999/$1000)
- Exedy clutch ($1700/$188)
- Carbotech Panther Plus brake pads ($235/$145)
- Bridgestone S-03s 225/45YR-16 Fronts & 255/40YR-17 Rears ($722/$50)

III. Reviews

- OEM JDM NSX-R short gears : What more can I say...this is the way our cars should have been shipped in the first place. The gap between 1st and 2nd gear is reduced and the car is a lot more fun to drive. Highly recommended upgrade for those that can afford it. BTW - because the tranny was already open for the gears, the labor for the clutch was amazingly cheap.

- Exedy clutch : As mentioned before, this is the 1st racing clutch I've ever tried, so when I picked it up from the dealership, I couldn't even drive it. At first, it felt like an "on/off" clutch with no slip at all. But after about 100 miles or so of practice, either the clutch broke in or I adjusted my driving ways (or both) and I learned to really enjoy the feel. The clutch is actually not an on/off type and has a little bit of leeway to ease into. The sweet spot is CONSIDERABLY smaller on the Exedy than on a stock clutch, but it's a very streetable clutch IMO. Also, if you drive it hard, it really grabs strong and I'm sure it will perform wonderfully on the track. Another plus is that the pedal pressure is only slightly heavier than stock which I think is perfect. My biggest complaint is the horrendous clutch chatter. For those of you not in-the-know, clutch chatter sounds a little like hard diesel engine knock when you depress the clutch pedal. Depressing the clutch releases the pressure on the plates and they start rattling away. It's pretty embarrassing driving around in a very noticable car with a VERY noticable rattling. If Exedy can remove/reduce the clutch chatter, I would recommend it to everyone considering a new clutch. But as it stands, I'm getting a new stock clutch put back in. A small sidenote : Chris at scienceofspeed.com is installing an Exedy clutch on another car and said he would give me a call with the post-operation diagnosis. If he doesn't post them, I'll put his findings here as well.

- Carbotech Panther Plus brake pads : Effective and cheap little updgrade to add some extra stopping power. These pads flat out outperform the stock pads, but dust and wear the rotors a little more (see science of speed's handy little chart : http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/braking_performance_parts/NSX/carbotech/ . Also, I've heard that some race pads squeal, but I haven't heard one peep out of these Panthers yet. Unless something dramatic changes over time (i.e. they eat away my rotors or some study finds they cause cancer), I'll be sticking with these great pads from now on.

EDIT (9/26/2002) : After 2-3 more days of driving since my initial review, the pads have started to slightly squeal now. It's hardly noticable, but the squeek is there. Also, the pads dust a lot more than the stock pads. Even after 1 day of driving you can wipe away a fine layer of dust. However, the gunk comes right off with a hose quite easily.

- Bridgestone S-03s : Haven't had a chance to drive them in the rain yet, but they are doing great in the dry. However, I think my previous stock Yoks had a much better look to them. Can't really say much more about these with only 200 miles on them so far.

IV. Thank you section
- big shout out to Chris at scienceofspeed.com for his help pre AND post sale.
- many thanks to Alex at acrmotorsports.com for his help with the clutch questions.

V. Clutch for sale
smile.gif

- Selling my very slightly used Exedy clutch. It should have less than 500 miles on it by the time I get the stock clutch swapped back in. Brand new they retail for $1700 plus shipping...I'm asking only $1200 shipping included. Nothing wrong with the clutch at all. Only selling because the clutch chatter is unacceptable to me for my daily driver. Will post this sale in the marketplace forums as well, so please respond there.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T : Dali Street/Race SwayBars

[This message has been edited by Soulstice (edited 26 September 2002).]

why dont you wait on cris's diagnostic on his excedy before you go back to stock oem.if you must change atleast get something a little more beefed up for when you go s/c or turbo later.hey you know you want to.also did you try to re-intialize the clutch. or resettle the motor mounts.might be an easy fix.just my 2 cents.hate to see you lose money on your not even broke in clutch over a possible minor adjustment or tweak needed.but if you do sell the clutch please private me
david

[This message has been edited by BadCarma (edited 24 September 2002).]

Soulstice --

Thanks for the review. Since chattering could be related to the install (initialization not properly complete) I urge you to keep it on your car until NSXPO. Hopefully my NSX will be there for you to drive with the Exedy so that you may compare.

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Since chattering could be related to the install (initialization not properly complete) I urge you to keep it on your car until NSXPO. Hopefully my NSX will be there for you to drive with the Exedy so that you may compare.

My poor mechanic thought he did something wrong after he installed the clutch and heard the chatter, so he pulled it apart and tried again. When the rattling still didn't go away, he called Alex at acrmotorsports at my request. Alex told us the noise is totally normal and that Doug Hayashi's car with the Exedy clutch has the same chattering.

On the flip-side, I am completely loving the feel and response of this clutch now. I went to an empty parking lot and slowly started from a full stop over and over again until I got it down finally. Can't say enough about the great feel of this clutch AFTER the break in period.

Still debating whether to keep it or not because of the chatter...tough decision.

Chris -> I'll be waiting on your call/email. Real curious to hear your input as well.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T : Dali Street/Race SwayBars : JDM short gears : Bridgestone S-03s

hi Soulstice, as I told you, there was some chattering noises on Doug's car with the Exedy Clutch. However on another customer's car, the chatter was not pronounced as you described. It was only felt at a stop when the clutch pedal was depressed to the lowest point, which differs from your situation where the chatter occurs as soon as you touch the pedal at a stop. This could be a result of installation error as it could magnify the chattering and your chatter could also be reduced with some adjustments. I too would reccomend that you wait until NSXPO to drive Chris' Car and we will possibly have a car available with the Exedy Clutch at NSXPO also.

Originally posted by Soulstice:
My poor mechanic thought he did something wrong after he installed the clutch and heard the chatter, so he pulled it apart and tried again. When the rattling still didn't go away, he called Alex at acrmotorsports at my request. Alex told us the noise is totally normal and that Doug Hayashi's car with the Exedy clutch has the same chattering.

On the flip-side, I am completely loving the feel and response of this clutch now. I went to an empty parking lot and slowly started from a full stop over and over again until I got it down finally. Can't say enough about the great feel of this clutch AFTER the break in period.

Still debating whether to keep it or not because of the chatter...tough decision.

Chris -> I'll be waiting on your call/email. Real curious to hear your input as well.

------------------
www.acrmotorsports.com / 949-929-8973

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 25 September 2002).]

Sorry to hear about this "chatter" as I was really hoping this was the "killer" clutch replacement.

Still - it is great to get constructive and honest feedback after any modifications. So many people tend to want to justify expenses and not admit that there were any sacrifices.

If it takes an experienced mechanic who has done a NSX clutch several times to get it right or worse - I can't be setup to not shudder - that would be a serious deterrent as my dealer will charge every min of every hour to pull and put this thing in such that the costs will be much more then the clutch with little confidence that it cant be removed.

Please keep us updated on your progress getting this sorted out and if/how it approached OEM, your total installation costs, etc.

I will also want to check out this clutch at NSXpo but more important is if anyone can have it come out perfect at any Acura dealer or if it has to be done in California to get it right.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Originally posted by matteni:
If it takes an experienced mechanic who has done a NSX clutch several times to get it right or worse - I can't be setup to not shudder -

Just to clarify some wordings here...the clutch doesn't shake or shudder at all. Heck, I can leave it completely engaged and slow down to 1 mph with NO shuddering. My only complaint about this clutch is the noise factor. Apparently (as described by my mechanic), this clutch doesn't have springs or something to keep the plates from rattling when the pedal is pressed and pressure is released off them.

So again, great clutch feel with horrible clutch noise.

To better describe the noise, try to imagine a loose metal ring around an exhaust pipe bouncing and rattling around. This sharp noise only occurs when I depress the clutch pedal.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T : Exedy racing clutch * JDM NSX-R short gears * Dali street/race swaybars
* Carbotech Panther Plus brake pads * Bridgestone Potenza S-03s

Thanks, Soulstice, for clarifying. Just for further clarification, the "chattering" noise that we are referring to is different than that of the problem of a "shudder" or "chattering" that occurs when you launch the clutch at a stop incorrectly or do not have enough rpms. A good way to differentiate the two is that the Exedy noise is just noise, where as a "shudder" is usually translated through the transmission and is felt throughout the car.

The noise on the Exedy Clutch occurs only when the car is at a stop and you push in the pedal, which releases pressure on the intermediate and pressure plates. Due to the floating design of the clutch which was neccessary in order to have massive torque capacity, heat dissipation, and resistance to cracking, the intermediate plate may cause some noise due to engine vibration/pulsation when the pedal is pressed in completely. This design is like that of a true floating brake rotor system in which the rotor is floating in relation to the hub. True floating rotors will make some noise when driving.

Just to clarify some wordings here...the clutch doesn't shake or shudder at all. Heck, I can leave it completely engaged and slow down to 1 mph with NO shuddering. My only complaint about this clutch is the noise factor. Apparently (as described by my mechanic), this clutch doesn't have springs or something to keep the plates from rattling when the pedal is pressed and pressure is released off them.

So again, great clutch feel with horrible clutch noise.

To better describe the noise, try to imagine a loose metal ring around an exhaust pipe bouncing and rattling around. This sharp noise only occurs when I depress the clutch pedal.

------------------

Hi Soulstice, have some good news for you!
We just finished a customers car and it came out perfect with no noise at all. Also, talked with Larry at NSX Modified, and he told me that when he first installed the clutch on Doug's car he had the noise I told you about, but after he tinkered with it, he got it to be noiseless for OTC. E-mail me or give me a call for details for what you can do to erase/reduce the noise.

So "HOLD OFF ON SELLING THE CLUTCH"!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 28 September 2002).]

ARC, the local dealer will be installing my clutch in a couple of weeks, the Exedy. I know the mechanic personally. Do you have any "best tips" to help reduce or eliminate the noise. It will be much appreciated
Vance

Hi Smoothaccel, feel free to call us at 949-929-8973 between 9am-5pm PST, we can give you some tips and walk your installer through the process.

Originally posted by Smoothaccel:
ARC, the local dealer will be installing my clutch in a couple of weeks, the Exedy. I know the mechanic personally. Do you have any "best tips" to help reduce or eliminate the noise. It will be much appreciated
Vance

------------------

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 28 September 2002).]

Originally posted by ACR_Motorsports:
Hi Soulstice, have some good news for you!
We just finished a customers car and it came out perfect with no noise at all. Also, talked with Larry at NSX Modified, and he told me that when he first installed the clutch on Doug's car he had the noise I told you about, but after he tinkered with it, he got it to be noiseless for OTC. E-mail me or give me a call for details for what you can do to erase/reduce the noise.

So "HOLD OFF ON SELLING THE CLUTCH"!!!

Sounds like you are getting 1st class customer service. Let us know if you can get it perfect, what had to be done, and if in your tech's opinion this can be done right the first time by most decent NSX techs with NSX clutch experiance.

ARC, the local dealer will be installing my clutch in a couple of weeks, the Exedy.

Smoothaccel (& Chris),

Follow ACRs advice and please, please post a follow-up on the results. I want to make sure this new tip works before I drop another grand to crack open the tranny again.

A quick sidenote : when I hit the 300 mile mark on the clutch, it turned into butter. The feel is so good now and the slip amount is markedly better (still not as soft as stock, but pretty close). So for all you first-timers, put up with the harsh shifting for 200-300 miles and know it gets a LOT better.

------------------
1996 Black/Tan NSX-T : Exedy racing clutch : JDM NSX-R short gears : Dali street/race swaybars
: Carbotech Panther Plus brake pads : Bridgestone Potenza S-03s

Smoothaccel (& Chris),

Follow ACRs advice and please, please post a follow-up on the results. I want to make sure this new tip works before I drop another grand to crack open the tranny again.

A quick sidenote : when I hit the 300 mile mark on the clutch, it turned into butter. The feel is so good now and the slip amount is markedly better (still not as soft as stock, but pretty close). So for all you first-timers, put up with the harsh shifting for 200-300 miles and know it gets a LOT better.

Soulstace - so you have smouth engagement but still have the exact same type and amount of noise?

Your comment about the grand - do the tips you have now from ACR / Larry lead you to believe that the entire thing must be removed to perform the new tips?

Mine is a daily driver with 45k miles on the original 91' clutch so (as you can tell) I am very interested in your experiance as a non-California daily driver looking for a more powerfull aftermarket clutch with many of the +'s of OEM.

Please keep us all posted how this works out and your satisfaction level (and costs). Thanks!

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Originally posted by matteni:
Soulstace - so you have smouth engagement but still have the exact same type and amount of noise?

Your comment about the grand - do the tips you have now from ACR / Larry lead you to believe that the entire thing must be removed to perform the new tips?

Yes. After surpassing the short learning curve and break-in period, the clutch engages very smoothly, but still has the same unbearable rattling. If you push the car, the clutch grabs hard and doesn't slip at all. Overall, great performance clutch with good streetability. We'll just have to see how long it lasts in the long haul however.

I called my dealership and they quoted me $750 to get access to the clutch and perform the greasing/torquing touch-ups ACR recommended.

Another fellow NSXer (Burbel) here in Austin will be taking my car for a spin tonight and I'll ask him to post his opinions of the clutch feel as well.

------------------
1996 Black/Tan NSX-T : Exedy racing clutch : JDM NSX-R short gears : Dali street/race swaybars

Originally posted by ACR_Motorsports:
...We just finished a customers car and it came out perfect with no noise at all. Also, talked with Larry at NSX Modified, and he told me that when he first installed the clutch on Doug's car he had the noise I told you about, but after he tinkered with it, he got it to be noiseless for OTC. E-mail me or give me a call for details for what you can do to erase/reduce the noise.

Why can't you just post the info here so evryone has it for consideration?

Quick update : A miracle by the name of Burbel happened last night. As previously mentioned, I let him take my car for a spin. He stalled the car hard and the clutch noise has pretty much vanished ever since!

I have no explanations for this phenomenon and am a little worried that this might be a mixed blessing. But so far there's no difference in the feel, just a 95% reduction in noise.

So I'm a happy camper for now.

------------------

Just wanted to post my .02 on the Exedy clutch - for background I have a stock clutch on my 1992, my Mom's NSX has the Dali clutch with light flywheel, and I briefly drove Aaron's 1997 with the Comptech Powergrip.

The engage point for the Exedy seemed to be smaller than the engage point on the CT clutch. I couldn't help but stall the car (twice, in fact) trying to engage the clutch on a smooth surface. There was a very short depth for pushing the clutch in, compared to stock, and only a small distance between full off and full on. For comparisons, with the CT powergrip, it caught me by surprise, but I didn't stall it.

My normal behavior for an NSX launch is around 1,600 rpm and a smooth clutch release and throttle release, the clutch is normally engaged when my car is rolling at around 1,000 rpm. Depending on how you launch, this may or may not be a problem. In my case, the clutch just bit and the car stalled.

FWIW, since I'm spouting opinions here, I don't know how much I personally would like the Exedy for my NSX as a daily driver. I have no doubt that it is a strong clutch, the pedal pressure is not much harder than stock (and much softer than the CT), but the engage point would bother me to no end stop and go on the highway. At the track, I could see this being a great setup! This from someone that's still too afraid to take their NSX on the track. 8P

Still waiting to install these puppies

And I'm still waiting to hear what you think.

If you plan on coming to NSXpo, I'd highly recommend installing the clutch ASAP because the clutch really needs to be broken in properly to truly enjoy it. (It took me almost 400 miles before mine broke in)

Keep us posted!

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T
NSX-R short gears, Exedy clutch, Dali swaybars, Carbotech brake pads, Bridgestone S-03s

If you plan on coming to NSXpo, I'd highly recommend installing the clutch ASAP because the clutch really needs to be broken in properly to truly enjoy it. (It took me almost 400 miles before mine broke in)

He need not worry. The distance between the two Forts is 933 miles, so it would be well broken in on the drive to the event.

Does driving 300 miles without changing gears count?

I don't know. But I don't think you're going to drive 933 miles without changing gears a few times.

Besides, if you live in Colorado, don't you constantly look for excuses (like "gotta break in the new clutch") to go for a drive on mountain roads?
biggrin.gif

Back