• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exhaust system, pride v2 or pride v2 rfl

I'm deciding on getting a pride v2 or the pride v2 rfl exhaust. Of the 2 how much louder is the rfl? Any drone? what's the sound/ note differences of the two beside one is louder than the other. Which have better note? And are they bearable at cruise ? are they very loud at cruise ?

What is the RFL version.

Over the years, I've been in many NSXs with aftermarket exhausts. The one that has the least (if any) amount of drone are the bespoked ones that use Magnaflow mufflers.

This is the very reason why I went with Magnaflow for my GTO and NSX.

Magnaflow are the only ones that I have found to be packed with Italian RockWool.

It is sourced originally from lava deposits found in volcanic rocks which are melted in a cupola furnace (sort of a man-made volcano). The lava rocks, taken right from volcanic areas that have experienced recent eruptions, are dumped into the giant furnace which heats to a couple thousand degrees. When the re-melted lava comes out of the furnace, it is spun, sort of like cotton candy and a special chemical treatment is added to give it water-repellent characteristics, then the whole spun material is bound together in a wool-like fleece, which is ideal for use in high heat applications and acoustic control.

What better to deal with the high heat of exhaust, the volcanic ash?

You can only image the amount years of development it took to perfect this process, and get the process correct.

This process is actually extremely expensive for them, much more expensive then if they were to use the same material that every other company uses. But this also ensures that over time, you will not loose that Magnaflow sound!!

Over the years, I've been in many NSXs with aftermarket exhausts. The one that has the least (if any) amount of drone are the bespoked ones that use Magnaflow mufflers.

This is the very reason why I went with Magnaflow for my GTO and NSX.

Magnaflow are the only ones that I have found to be packed with Italian RockWool.

It is sourced originally from lava deposits found in volcanic rocks which are melted in a cupola furnace (sort of a man-made volcano). The lava rocks, taken right from volcanic areas that have experienced recent eruptions, are dumped into the giant furnace which heats to a couple thousand degrees. When the re-melted lava comes out of the furnace, it is spun, sort of like cotton candy and a special chemical treatment is added to give it water-repellent characteristics, then the whole spun material is bound together in a wool-like fleece, which is ideal for use in high heat applications and acoustic control.

What better to deal with the high heat of exhaust, the volcanic ash?

You can only image the amount years of development it took to perfect this process, and get the process correct.

This process is actually extremely expensive for them, much more expensive then if they were to use the same material that every other company uses. But this also ensures that over time, you will not loose that Magnaflow sound!!

th

Ok, heres my opinion, take it or leave it, but I think it's pretty good advice. I've had the V2. I've ran it with Marks 300 cell HF cats. It's plenty loud just like that. If you want it louder, run Marks TP's and it will be louder. If you want it really loud, then get the RFL and run Marks 300 cell cats. If you want to be the absolute center of attention, then run the RFL with Marks TP's.

inside the cabin how do they both sound at cruise?

- - - Updated - - -

I read the v2 got a better tune sound than the rfl which is more like a raw sound at high rpm, also the v2 is more quiet inside the cabin than the rfl which I prefer . anyone selling their v2 single polish tip per side exhaust for a 97 Nsx?

I would catch myself running around in 2nd/3rd gear at 4000 RPM's. It is absolutely addicting inside the cabin at that RPM level. I'm not sure what people driving around me was thinking but when 4000 hit, what they were thinking clearly was not my concern. :tongue:

Davidf , I think I'm going with the v2 also, v2 would be pretty loud enough for me. I think inside the cabin with the rfl exhaust would really kill my ears.

V2 with test pipes you can't go wrong, great product, build and overall sound

I just went to checkout Kenneth chan's pride v2 rfl over the weekend and love the sound of it. He said it's about 30% louder than the v2. This exhaust really make a statement , thanks ken for taking the time to meet up with me.

I have the RFL and it really give the NSX its "voice" (if that makes any sense). Hard to fully explain how it sounds other than to say it turns a Japanese engine into an Italian exotic. Mark @ Pride is currently building the RFL without the resonators that you will see if you Google the RFL. Totally unrestricted straight pipes. Above 3000 RPM the exhaust note is amazing. There are two negatives (IMO); 1) It does gets attention - this might be good, might be bad (police) YMMV, 2) It does drone a little between 2000 - 3000 RPM. Since my GT-One N1 doesn't drone at all (but not as exotic sounding) the drone of the RFL was noticeable for me.

I keep my RFL as my track exhaust and swap with the GT-One between track days.

BTW - you didn't need to bump a three year old thread to solicit input about the RFL.

I have the Pride RFL V2 and it sounds great. It has zero resonators so it's definitely loud. There is however a loud drone at around 2-2.5 rpms while cruising so I stay at 3K or above and it's all good. I'm running stock headers and stock cats.

I initially installed a set of Pride test pipes as well but when I started the car up it scared the sh@t out of me. I drove it about three miles and felt bad for anyone within a mile radius. It was no joke, the loudest exhaust I've heard. I ended up putting the stock headers back on and sold the test pipes.

I've had the pride RFL on an 02 NSX and it definitely sounds like it's advertised. The WOT noise was pretty great but the drone at partial throttle/cruising speeds was rather obnoxious.

Back