• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

exhuast sounds, which one sounds closest to F1?

For those of you who have aftermarket exhaust, which one sounds the most (if possible ) like the formula 1 cars exhaust? My Taitec GT006 lightweight exhaust with Taitec headers is definitely loud, but lower pitch. I'm looking for that F1 sound, just wondering if anyone knows. Thank you.

Don't know who it is but there's somebody on this board that will be along right quick to tell you you can't get F1 sound out of an engine that redlines at 8k.

...and he's right.

To my ear the higher pitched exhausts just make the NSX sound high pitched. Not F1-ish.

Don't know who it is but there's somebody on this board that will be along right quick to tell you you can't get F1 sound out of an engine that redlines at 8k.

...and he's right.

To my ear the higher pitched exhausts just make the NSX sound high pitched. Not F1-ish.

F1 SOUND? NOT AGAIN.... if you want a F1 sound, then you have to get your car to rev to 18,000 rpm or just speed your videos up x3.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/1785089?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="651" height="366" frameborder="0"></iframe>

F1 SOUND? NOT AGAIN.... if you want a F1 sound, then you have to get your car to rev to 18,000 rpm or just speed your videos up x3.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/1785089?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="651" height="366" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Jim it sounds like this:

singer-401a.jpg

You need to go 4X I think... lol...

Last edited:
My 2x ultimate conclusions...

Taitec GT009 exhaust

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/Ad1XphQUj1Q&hl=en&fs=1& allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Pride exhaust

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/EISYHvz9fik?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

GT-DESIGN INT'L GT-Extreme NSX exhaust.

Case-closed! :D

It's now offered by RF Yamamoto (formerly of GT-One / GT-ROM), now known as the "GT Exhaust V1."

For inquiries, contact:

A.S. Motorsport (Adnan)

KANE (Ravi)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1qXeQviSBsA?fs=1&hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1qXeQviSBsA?fs=1&hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The missing factor from these threads is that nobody considers that the thing you like about the sound of an F1 car is part doppler effect. Your position relative to a dynamic sound wave. The sort of...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm

sound that you like is because you're not in the car. It sounds like ass from inside.

Last edited:
The missing factor from these threads is that nobody considers that the thing you like about the sound of an F1 car is part doppler effect. Your position relative to a dynamic sound wave. The sort of...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm

sound that you like is because you're not in the car. It sounds like ass from inside.

I know exactly what you mean, I have heard a lot of bad ones...

Plus the drone that the majority of non OEM exhausts have a particular rev points.

Don't even bother. It can't be done. A cars acoustics are based on its cylinders and rev limit. Don't make one car try to be another or else it will sound poor.

Don't know about F1 but I do know I LOVE the sound of my Angus AP1 even with my stock headers and cats.

Peter

2nd the love for the Angus AP1 exhaust. For me it is perfect for the NSX. Looks great too - actually sounds better with every additional mile I put on her.

Jay

Don't even bother. It can't be done. A cars acoustics are based on its cylinders and piston speed (from RPM and geometry of the stroke/rod length/etc...). Don't make one car try to be another or else it will sound poor.
Fixed it for you :tongue:

Uncorked Gallardos, BMW M5 V10s, Carrera GTs, and even the E90/E92 V8 M3 have this piston speed & cylinder count to get a "Formula 1" sound. The NSX just wont because it dosn't have comparable either. Uncorking it just makes it louder. Same characteristic, same soul, just louder.

Not true. For the fundamental firing frequency, yes, but most folks on here are not acoustic engineers and aware of 2nd and 3rd, etc harmonics.

The Lexus LFA engineers tuned the 2nd and 3rd harmonics of the V10 to resonate at F1-type frequencies.

I've previously posted a link to their technical development information on here before and am currently working on something similar for my NSX.

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave thinks he can make a trumpet sound like a violin. :wink:

Dave, you are not working with a static sound centered at one freqency. That is the only way to supress the center frequency and exceed its amplitude with any sort of harmonic, and such a device would be utter failure as an actual muffler. Having said this, if everyone had my attitude and not yours we'd all be living in caves right now so I wish you luck. Like I said, I will be your first customer for the magic mack muffler. :)

Last edited:
Dave thinks he can make a trumpet sound like a violin. :wink:

Dave, you are not working with a static sound centered at one freqency. That is the only way to supress the center frequency and exceed its amplitude with any sort of harmonic, and such a device would be utter failure as an actual muffler. Having said this, if everyone had my attitude and not yours we'd all be living in caves right now so I wish you luck. Like I said, I will be your first customer for the magic mack muffler. :)

No man, a trumpet resonates at odd harmonics, while the violin has even harmonics (or something like that).

I agree that we're not dealing with "static" frequencies - that's why I picked out four frequencies with a +/- 250 RPM spread over a very narrow RPM band of 2000 RPM to resonate. You'll still get the time-changing frequency of the primary frequency ( the engine firing rate that gives you a sense of engine acceleration), but hopefully I'll now have four additional high-frequency tones as I sweep from ~2500RPM to 4500 RPM. Why 2500-4500 RPM? Well, that's where I spend the majority of my time driving in. Also, above 4500 RPM there is a lot of engine racket behind my lexan divider window that kind of drowns out most exhaust noise anyways.

Acoustical engineers have done this... and I've given this thing way too much thought, but having said that, I'm no acoustical engineer and especially not a very good fabricator :smile: If my attempt fails, that still shouldn't mean anything to a professional if they decide to spend the time on it!

Dave

Dave,

I am still skeptical and will remain so until you actually achieve it. Its great you are doing all of this research and footwork and I will be the first to swallow my words if you do it. I'm in Charlotte so I might have to check out the final product in person. Good luck! :)

Billy

Back