• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Existing Convertible NSX

The thread and picture of the convertible NSX has made wonder about the fate of the after-market soft-top conversions produced in the USA.

Does anyone on the board own one of them, and does anyone have any experience of the conversions?

I have this probably irrational fantasy about purchasing an early NSX and producing a convertible version. Any pictures of the convertible with the top up?

Thanks,
Bob from New Zealand.

As nice as it looks, I wouldn't buy one. Playing with an NSX factory set up by modifying exhaust headers etc, is one thing. The structural integrity of the car would be comprimised. God forbid any of us crash or current NSx but with the conversion I would worry about the dash folding down on my legs. Not sure if it would, but I'm sure the engineers in japan would do more to the structure than "chop" the top off it were meant to be a soft top. Maybe the conversion also includes reinforcement. Just some food for thought. Good luck.

re the structure:

Your are absolutely right worldsport, and the strengthening of the structure would be imperative and the key to the whole conversion I agree. Which is why I wondered how those original conversions have held up. Presumably the coachbuilders at the time added significant structural hardware to beef up the body. The NSX-T structure, although more flexible than the Coupe, has clearly been able to be modified enough to meet safety requirements.

As I said, its probably a bit of a pipe dream, but then I have had my eye on an early automatic thats a bit of a bargain ..... It would look nice alongside my Coupe.

The conversions are reinforced, just not enough. There is a lot of chassis flex and I do not thing they would be as safe in a serious accident.

You don't want to see one with the top up; they do not look good that way. They look very good with the top down from 10 or more feet away. Once you get up close none of the ones I've seen look good (poor fit and finish).

Back