• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Experience with durable car covers?

Did a search on line on custom car covers for my NSX, wow lots of hits, too many to decipher.

Has anyone had any luck with a particular brand of car cover and site to purchase it? My NSX is garage kept, but it collects a lot of dust between drives. I want something that I can protect mostly from dust but wanted to know how important the other element protectors are (moisture, UV rays, padding, etc) when considering a car cover. I also want it to be pretty form fitting, but easy to get on and off of the car. A lot of the covers that I found would fit a NSX but were not made particualrly for it.

Any suggestions?:confused:

one word: NOAH:smile:

The NOAH is an excellent cover... but, because the material is thick, when removed and folded up, it's huge. It does provide some impact resistance.

I got the California Car Cover "ExtremeWeave" custom cover for my NSX. It's heat reflective and UV resistant. It's lilghtweight, breathable fabric can be cleaned in a household washer and dryer... not true with the others.

what is wrong with the OEM one? Works fine for me.

^^^^I agree buy an OEM one from Ray Laks. That is what I did. $160 Great fitment, felt lining, embroidered on the nose and includes a cable, lock, and embroidered bag to put it in.

The only beef I have with car covers in general, is that eventually the tires rub black stuff on the inside and when you put on and take it off, that crap gets on the paint. I usually have to use my Z-6 detail spray on my car after using the cover.:redface:

On white cars it is fine. On my black car, I had to dust the fuzz after every use ...... And if the bulk size is not an issue; the OEM is indeed a good value.

Me thinks we offer a better value :wink:

http://khrantenterprises.com/carcovers.htm

+1 on the fuzz, I have to dust that off too. After a while you wonder, what is the point of using a cover if I have to dust it and wipe it off afterwards.

+1 on the fuzz, I have to dust that off too. After a while you wonder, what is the point of using a cover if I have to dust it and wipe it off afterwards.

Exactly my point and why I decided to make a custom one which fits even better than the OEM and has better warranty ........ just like why I started making floor mats too ........ if I don't like what I see, I make my own :biggrin:

On white cars it is fine. On my black car, I had to dust the fuzz after every use ...... And if the bulk size is not an issue; the OEM is indeed a good value.

Me thinks we offer a better value :wink:

http://khrantenterprises.com/carcovers.htm

Not trying to suggest otherwise - it was a sincere question! The OEM one came with my car so I've really had no call to investigate the market. Just curious if I was missing something.

What is the cost of the OEM cover.And are they still available.

I have had a wolf cover for many years 2 layer noah I think,anyway it is a silver/grey color. I have only used it outdoors but no problems.

What is the story with the fuzz leftover upon removing the cover? I bought a used OEM cover from a Prime member and had it wased upon receipt. I notice an incredible amount of fuzz on the car whenever I remove it. Is this normal for an OEM cover or is it a sign that the cloth is deteriorating ?

OEM car cover is intended for indoor storage. You can buy a cover from Costco (west coast only-east coast sold out) has a strap up front and one in the rear for wind also dual purpose(indoor-outdoor) soft lining inside for $37.99.

I started out with the OEM but it got wet a couple times outside and literally fell apart. It's like putting a soaking wet towel in your trunk when it's wet. :eek:

I then bought a Covercraft Weathershield cover and love it. I used it daily for 2 years with no problems. It's royal blue color faded a little to light blue here in the Florida sun, but otherwise it's perfect. It can be washed in a regular machine and form fits exactly.

I've been covering cars for years. I haven't noticed any difference in quality between OEM and custom-made aftermarket covers. The only difference is that the OEM cover has the NSX logo silkscreened on the nose.

The big decision with car covers is what kind of fabric to get one in. There are various advantages and disadvantages, depending on whether it's for indoor vs outdoor use, compactness, etc. You can find a comparison of fabrics, with the advantages and disadvantages of each, on the websites for the big car cover sellers like California Car Cover and Covercraft.

The one STRONG recommendation I have is this. If your car cover will ever be used outdoors, make sure to get a car cover that is custom-made for your specific automobile. Do NOT get a "generic" car cover that is designed for many different cars. The generic covers tend to flap around in the wind (no matter how securely you try to strap them down) and this will eventually abrade the paint. Custom-made car covers fit like the metaphorical glove, and have no extra room, so the risks of flapping around are minimized.

You can buy a cover from Costco (west coast only-east coast sold out) has a strap up front and one in the rear for wind also dual purpose(indoor-outdoor) soft lining inside for $37.99.
That's exactly the kind you should NOT buy. See above.

Just an fyi ...... while some may fall for the finer art of how websites hype their products, we on the other hand prefer actual R&D and feedback from customers not hype :smile: And pursuant to this thread alone, we have sold quite a few of our car covers and we are down to only 6 in stock. The next batch might take 6 to 8 weeks to arrive. Value customers know a good deal when they see one :tongue: So many cheers and thanks for the support :wink:

Back