• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 is becoming boring

F1 is becoming boring

I can't believe it! This season, the 2004 season which was to be called, the rise of the minorities, was absolutely wiped out by Ferrari
It is so unbelievable. All the teams were doing so great at the testing period and Ferrari was dong so bad, everyone was positive that this year would be the year that Ferrari finally ends its domination of F1.
The Williams team came up with a radical new tusk looking car that seamed so promising during testing. The BAR team were so optimistic, they were betting money on winning. The Renaults, the Toyotas, everyone seamed ready to give the 2004 season a show to remember.
Juan Pablo Montoya and Kimi Raikkonen were both thought to be at the right time and place to finally dethrone Schumacher.
But hell, the exact opposite happened as soon as the green light turned on in the Australian circuit. It was an outright Ferrari domination, Michael up front and Rubens following closely behind like a side kick. They were so dominant that they actually started to cruise along to the finish line at the end of the race seeing that they absolutely massacred the competition.
Alonso was the only one putting up a fight. And Montoya seemed to have the right stuff, but as usual, he was let down by his team, his look, and not the least, by his own teammate.

F1 is getting really boring. Will Ferrari ever lighten up?
Here is a suggestion for next year. Ferrari needs to sign up either Montoya or Raikkonen so at least there will be an in house competition to keep fans interested in F1.

But for now, it's just another boring Ferrari 1-2 season.

if anyone is further interested here is a webpage

http://www.planetf1.com/_2004_Season/Grand_Prix/Australia/story_14594.shtml

Montoya is really only very good when "speaking" about winning... :rolleyes:
For the rest he is a F1 average driver with better than average F1 car.

Alonso is far superior IMO.

Honda did very well for what I think, I am not sure they ever spoke about winning. What they did is an achievement anyway! :)

The only talents of F1 now are the following:

1- Schumacher
2- Raikkonen
3- Montoya
4- Alonso

There is no arguing about how exceptionally good Montoya is. He usually dominates the qualifying testes and even this year with Ferrari domination at qualifying, he was able to beat Schumacher at first day of qualifying despite having a less capable car. Montoya is more than just a good driver with a great car. It's just that lady luck doesn’t like to smile at him. And there is the constant excitement he always brings to F1. The best performer that keeps the audience awake. Just read the article about this race. They think he was responsible for 50% of the action in this race. Not to mansion what he did to Michael when he first joined F1.

And Honda's performance was spectacular. They gave more than satisfying improvement over the last seasons. I wish I could say the same about their drivers. They need better drivers.

jaytip nsx said:
its only the first race of the season,anything can happen between now and the end of the year.

Ohh GOD, I hope that becomes true. But from the looks of the results. This year is going to be ad duil as 2001 and 2002

I don't think it's become boring at all. If Ferrari chooses to spend tons of money and they do their homework better than anyone else without skirting the rules, why should any of the other teams cry over the results? I agree it's not the best thing for the sport in general for one team to be so dominant, but it is, after all, the first race of the season with many more to come, especially with the two additional races this year. Anything can happen.

I watch and enjoy Formula 1 and let it stand on it's own merits. The most advanced and technically proficient race machines on the planet.

cmhs75 said:
There is no arguing about how exceptionally good Montoya is.
Of course there's an argument. I don't agree that Montoya is just average, but I think he is overrated, and not even close in talent to Schumacher (and my definition of talent goes beyond being able to go fast for a few laps).
The reason he does well in qualifying is his style of driving. He takes a lot of chances. You can pull that off for a lap at a time, but when it comes to a full race of 50 to 80 laps, he will make mistakes, which usually translates to finishing behind the leader, or, as often happens, crashing.
How often do you see him making very risky pass attempts? Sometimes the other driver will back off, sometimes he won't.

I do agree that he is in an inferior car, but how inferior is it? It's very tough to quantify.

If taking too many risks and achieving stupendous driving speeds and ability is not a good driver's virtue, then Ayrton Senna is just another driver, like Montoya, and Schumacher betters them.

Now if only that was true?

And about making F1 a 20 Lap sprint, game on man. That would be really cool, but too short!

Honestly, i think F1 is fine as it is... a sprint race? please no! :(

Montoy is a good driver, ok, but still in a class below Schumi, Raikkonen, Alonso.

More on level with Trulli and Ralf.

gheba_nsx said:
Honestly, i think F1 is fine as it is... a sprint race? please no! :(

Montoy is a good driver, ok, but still in a class below Schumi, Raikkonen, Alonso.

More on level with Trulli and Ralf.

Come on man. He's a lot better than those two. And he is every bit as good as the top three. And in sprinting, he is even better.
Even when he first joined F1 he took a good rank. I think it was 4th overall. And the next two years, he was at the top three. And don’t even start with the qualifying grid. His name is always mentioned

and the sprinting would just make things more crazy that's all. That's why it might be a good idea

When Villeneuve-the-loser joined he won teh championship... what does this mean? nothing...

I really believe that Alonso and Kimi are almost at Shumi's level, Schumi is sthill in a class alone (Ferrari or not Ferrari, look the difference he makes with Barrichello).

And no, sorry, Montoya does not belong to the real top... we can go on discussing thsi for years. But it makes no point, everyone will keep is own opinion...

Just a proposal: To whom of the F 1 drivers would you lend your NSX on a track? Maybe that's also a criterium for a good driver. My choice would have been Frentzen (now in german touring car series DTM), one of the most underestimated drivers ever. Remember his race win with a mediocre car when the rain poured heavily (I guess it was in Spa...)

cmhs75 said:
If taking too many risks and achieving stupendous driving speeds and ability is not a good driver's virtue, then Ayrton Senna is just another driver, like Montoya, and Schumacher betters them.

Now if only that was true?
Taking too many risks is absolutely NOT a good driver's virtue, that was my point. If F1 was a sprint, I would rank Montoya as one of the top drivers. But, it isn't, so he ranks well behind the likes of Schumacher, because he is inconsistent.

I'm not sure how Senna took too many risks. Senna was an amazing driver, who proved his abilities again and again, no matter what car he was in. What has Montoya really proven?

One aspect that I think you are ignoring is the influence a driver has on his team, and the car's design. Yes, Ferrari has one of the top (if not THE top) guy in Jean Todt, but they would not be as dominant as they are without Schumacher's input. It's not a coincidence that the World Champion's car is the best.
Please remember that Schumacher won championships in inferior cars when he was with Bennetton, while his teammate was far behind, which reflects on how good a driver he really is.

And, last, but not least, if Montoya is so good, how come his results are not much better than Ralf's? They drive the same car. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but last time I argued this point with my friends, I checked the results, and Montoya was only slightly ahead.

I'm not to familiar with F1 mainly due to the fact that it is so boring to watch and read about. But about the debate on montoya's driving skills. The way I see if there is debate then he doesn't deserve to be mentioned as one of the top drivers. When he proves himself beyond a resonable doubt then fine, but till then he should be considered a level below the best of the best, no?

NSX-Racer said:
.....My choice would have been Frentzen (now in german touring car series DTM), one of the most underestimated drivers ever. Remember his race win with a mediocre car when the rain poured heavily (I guess it was in Spa...)

NSX-Racer, I totally agree. David Duchovny,....er......I mean, Heinz-Herald Frentzen :p, IMO, is definitely underrated. Truly good drivers like him are hopelessly handicapped in an uncompetitive car on dry sunny days, but their real talent really shines when the condition calls for umbrellas. IMO There's no better indicator of a driver's talent than to watch him/her race in the wet, even when the equipment's aren't exactly equal. If my memory serves me well, he did very well in last year's U.S. GP (boy what a downpour that was!), which earned him a well-deserved 3rd place finish, in his out-matched Sauber. Remember seeing Senna 4th on the strating grid (or was it 5th?)in his underpowered McLaren-Ford during the 93 Euro GP in Dontington Park overtaking Schumi, Hill, and Prost, and pulled away a huge gap, while still on the first lap of the race? :eek: I see similar thing going on here with Frentzen. Truly excellent drivers are those rare bunch that can extract maximum potential out of their car in wet conditions and are obviously the smoothest, most precise, most consistent, and most experienced. Frentzen is one of the few in F-1 these days. Personally, I think Frentzen came into F1 at a bad timing and lucked out on getting a well-deserved ride in better-equipped teams like McLaren, Williams, and even Ferrari. I hope nowadays he's getting better results in DTM this year.

So, how's my boy Mulder doing lately ? ;) :D

With all do respect, no. both Alonso and Raikkonen are new in the F1 world and no one is debating about them being on the top. Real talent always shines threw and is very easy to spot no matter what. Montoya is a different issue. He is a world wide debate and a lot people would rather see him not succeed (no not you Gheba :D). And weather he is one of the top players or not, he is one of the top entertainers in the F1 world. How many times did he pull a wheel to wheel stunt and get away with it. He even did it on his first season in F1 and that was with Michael Schumacher him self!

Whether he is in the top ranks or not is a personal issue. But for me he is definitely in the top. There is still a debate about whether Senna is better then Michael or not.

Ahh the fun of sportsman ship debates.

Zanardi 50: For the latest info on Mulder (Frentzen) click here

He will be duking it out with Scully (Jean Alesi on Mercedes, also former F 1 driver) on 18/04 at the season debut at area 51 (Hockenheim) - I will rub some Yokohama rubber for them on the track on 26/03...

Last edited:
gheba_nsx said:
Montoya is really only very good when "speaking" about winning... :rolleyes:
For the rest he is a F1 average driver with better than average F1 car.

Alonso is far superior IMO.

Honda did very well for what I think, I am not sure they ever spoke about winning. What they did is an achievement anyway! :)

I agree completely. I never thought Montoya was the wonder boy everyone made him out to be. His attitude could be alot to blame for overshadowing his talent...

"You Broke my F-ing HEAD!" "yaaaaa..." :rolleyes:

Back