• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F355 Sound from NSX!

Sidebar, does anyone have any information on the Borla System and is it worth installing?

For those of you who were present at GT Live last december, do you think there is a way to replicate that exhaust note coming from the Mugen/MTEC NSX? it was a GT300 class car I believe, NA.

NSX-TSION7 said:
Sidebar, does anyone have any information on the Borla System and is it worth installing?

I have the anytime and i'm a big fan, its not super loud at mild throttle positions, but at WOT its loud as h#ll, combined with the Cantrel Intake thingy its really loud. no cabin resonance and apparently the horsepower increase is among the largest among the other offerings, although it is a porker (i think its 33 lbs or so)

khappucino said:
I have the anytime and i'm a big fan, its not super loud at mild throttle positions, but at WOT its loud as h#ll, combined with the Cantrel Intake thingy its really loud. no cabin resonance and apparently the horsepower increase is among the largest among the other offerings, although it is a porker (i think its 33 lbs or so)

The only problem is that it's no longer available for sale :mad:

BB said:
Here is a sound clip of the ARC Ti exhaust revving that I found on some Japanese site.

<a href="http://www.nas.com/~barryb/arc_exhaust.mpeg">ARC Ti Revving</a>

I think it sounds similar to the GruppeM exhaust, but lower pitched and a little less edgy. Very nice.

The link is not working for me :mad:

Theres not any chance we could try to compile a list of exhaust sounds and put them in the FAQ area or on separate thread for easy comparison?? That may be a crazy idea, but just a thought. :smile:

The reason Ferraris sounds the way they are has more to do with engine design(crank) than exhaust tuning.

Could someone please elaborate on this? I've always been curious as to how Ferrari has practically patented there engine and exhaust note.

pauly1 said:
Could someone please elaborate on this? I've always been curious as to how Ferrari has practically patented there engine and exhaust note.

The source of a Ferrari's unique sound is its "flat crank" which has throws 180 degrees apart. This arrangement uses firing intervals which generates even-order (octave) harmonics which, coupled with careful intake & exhaust tuning, gives Ferraris their famous shrieking sound.

Edo said:
If I can figure out a decent way to record the noise, I will get some clips of my Supertrapp Exhaust...

Hey, someone else with a Supertrapp!!! I have one, put on by a previous owner. Really loud, and very throaty. Deep, not shrill. Kind of a WAAAAAA sound at WOT.

Jeff

Russ said:
The source of a Ferrari's unique sound is its "flat crank" which has throws 180 degrees apart. This arrangement uses firing intervals which generates even-order (octave) harmonics which, coupled with careful intake & exhaust tuning, gives Ferraris their famous shrieking sound.

How then does one explain the 550, 575, and F50, all having similar shrieking exhaust notes while they are all V12's, and V12's are not flat plane cranks. They are essentially the same as an I6 (or two of them rather).

Any ideas? <shrug>

Italians are so bassackwards anyway with their 748's and 996's sounding like american muscle cars, and their 355's and 550's sounding like japanese sport bikes.

my testimonial is that the sorcery F-1 exhaust is the highest pitched unit available. I heard this exhaust in person at our last southwest meet at southcoast acura, and standing behind the nsx with this muffler, i can atest that it is truly something special. You gotta hear it in person.

BB said:
Having spent far too long looking and waiting for better sound from my NSX, I feel I've finally come close to audiable nirvana with my recent installation of a Gruppe M V2 exahaust system.

Nearly all the NSX exhausts sound either low and rumbly (i.e. RM), or they sound like a race car (i.e. Supertrapp, Tiatec). The Gruppe M is different: At mid-range rpm it produces a shrill, shreaking tone remanicant of a F355. And when paired up with the Gruppe M carbon fiber intake, the exhaust and intake harmonze together to produce a sound that sounds damn close to an F355!

Has anyone else here heard this combination? It really does sound incredable!!

I will post a through review in Product Reviews section with sound files once I find a good quality microphone I can borrow.

Here's a picture of my rear with the new exhaust installed...

gruppe_m_exhaust.jpg
i got the new tubi. my 1992 with comptech headers stock intake now (after the mufffler broke in) sounds a lot like a ferrari. not exactly though. it sounds better!

Back