• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Facebook privacy settings! Follower control settings?

So my wife just told me that she can see all my trivial posts on Facebook. I went and checked on my privacy settings and it looks like its setup like Fort Knox! After some digging and web searching it seems that if somebody "follows" you, they in turn get notified of 100% of all your posts. Whether you the poster like it or not. Is this correct? Is there a way that any of you know to control this from happening. It seems pretty lame as the poster you have no control over "who" follows you in the first place? Am I missing a setting someplace?

delete facebook account and move on. do you really need to have followers LOL

I was getting in trouble for my posts by my wife also, deleted it like 5 years ago and really don't think I will ever need it.

I realized this recently as well. The "following" seems to happen automatically. It's quite annoying. I'm not sure if you can tell who is following you either.:confused:

I still have my account still. I think I will delete mine soon too....So I can spend more time on here :biggrin:

delete facebook account and move on. do you really need to have followers LOL

I was getting in trouble for my posts by my wife also, deleted it like 5 years ago and really don't think I will ever need it.

Or perhaps just don't post stuff that will get you in trouble? Or get a better wife?

I get all the Facebook concern, but honestly it's been the best thing for keeping up with family and friends. I've reconnected with cousins I haven't seen in decades. We used to play together as children; now we share our kids' adventures; and probably soon our grandkids'.

I tried to deleted my account years ago, because all the drama and other crap associated with FB and I still get an email from them everyday trying to get me back on that....no thanks....

Last edited:
If somebody is your friend, they follow you automatically, but this is different that what you're describing. If you follow somebody, all that means is all their posts to their own page shows up in your feed. What you are describing is when somebody specifically chooses to 'get notifications'. If somebody chooses to do that, they will be notified any time you post something (that they have the privileges to see... if you post to a friend's wall, your wife may not be able to see it if your friend has set his wall so that only friends can see posts on his wall and not friends of friends). As far as I know there is no way to disable this, but somebody has to go out of their way to choose to enable it for you. If your wife gets a notification about every post you make, she specifically chose to 'get notifications'.

You can't see who has chosen to 'get notifications' but you can see who has 'followed' you.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of my thought/opinion of the hour being linked to my real name and never deleted.

Last edited:
One of the many reasons why I have never joined and never will.

One of the many reasons why I have never joined and never will.

because if you did, ALL the car clubs in So. Calif. will want you to run their club drive program then JC and I will have to come over and hurt you and we'll bring Lamar with us to top if off.:wink: It probably won't happen but just saying so you know how we feel about you.

because if you did, ALL the car clubs in So. Calif. will want you to run their club drive program then JC and I will have to come over and hurt you and we'll bring Lamar with us to top if off.:wink: It probably won't happen but just saying so you know how we feel about you.

LOL The wife can hurt me in ways you guys never could. She already thinks I spend to much time with NSX related things and she doesn't even know that I'm the Southwest Region Rep for NSXCA.:wink:

So my wife just told me that she can see all my trivial posts on Facebook. I went and checked on my privacy settings and it looks like its setup like Fort Knox! After some digging and web searching it seems that if somebody "follows" you, they in turn get notified of 100% of all your posts. Whether you the poster like it or not. Is this correct? Is there a way that any of you know to control this from happening. It seems pretty lame as the poster you have no control over "who" follows you in the first place? Am I missing a setting someplace?

You are talking about two different kinds of "following" on Facebook; someone who follows you and your FB account vs. someone who is following a post that you made.

On FB, users can follow you/your account ~ this is basically a crappy way to sorta keep tabs on someone. A person that is friends with you by default is also following your account, but it is also possible for someone to follow your account even if you did not approve their friend request. These folks are listed as your "followers" (they appear in a separate list from your "friends") and they can only see the publicly visible parts of your profile (typically to include your cover photos, profile photos, etc. depending on your own privacy settings).

The other kind of following is when you make a post on a group or page in FB. Someone who comments or likes your post on FB is henceforth following that post and will be updated about other people commenting or liking on it. It is also possible for someone to simply choose to "follow" that post. However this does not under normal circumstances allow those who are following your post to also visibly see other information related to your FB account (unless of course they are also your FB friend).

FB=the devil......but I love the stock.

Back