• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factor X Racing Super Lap Battle Results

Teas :rolleyes: been workin the girls too much :smile:

Considering the nightmare you guys faced and overcame, GREAT JOB Ken, Billy and to the rest of the team....Congratulations !

3rd in the FR unlimited class.
5th overall.

Press release, pics, and video to come. You will not believe this story:smile:

Official results

slb-results.gif

What a way to end the season! We ended up taking 3rd in class and 5th overall all while only getting one full lap on competition day.

So much happened its hard figure out where to start. The short of it is...practice the day before we put quite a few laps on her and were pleased with the results. On the last lap when Billy came in we noticed the oil pressure a little low. Oh well we attributed that to the extreme temps the car ran for so long. We figured drain the oil and start her in the morning.

Next morning we made suspension changes and let the car warm up. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!!! Holy crap, rod knock! The elimination rounds start in a half hour. Utter silence in garage.....Check , Sounds no one wanted to hear...Check, Disappointed crew...Check. The decision was made to load her into the trailer with our tail between our legs and soak our sorrows at Seamless with a few bottles of JD. Through the grapevine we heard something about no qualifying sessions for this Super Lap… There is hope! After verifying with Elliott we quickly put a game plan together.

We find out we have till 2:30 to get the car running to make a time count...It's now 9:00am… Plenty of time to rebuild a motor with spare parts that we didn’t have right?

The never say die crew stays back to rip the aero off, remove the turbo in piping, and remove the oil pan. Myself, Panda and Mike hop in the bang bus in an effort to located some 327 chevy bearings. Should be easy right? We don't know anything in this town. Jumping to our third parts store getting further and further away from the track we finally make headway. Try explaining to a domestic stroker kit shop in Bakersfield that you need a rod bearing for a small journal SBC for a 93 Acura NSX. A little weird. BTW, we made a conscious decision between us three who would take the first second and third ticket. Thankfully it never happened.

We make it back around noon. The crew has her all stripped down. Number 3 bearing decided to fold unto itself. Removed bearing. Used sandpaper to remove residual material on crank. The bearing then needed to be modified to fit our crank and rod system, so we used a electric cut off wheel to "machine" the bearing. Just then Ed Bergenholtz walks into our garage and says " Are you guys really redoing the bottom end?" You guys are hardcore! He says and watched the madness.

We know the motor wont hold up very long despite the “precision machining.” Billy is given instructions to stay very mellow on the warm up and let her loose on the second lap. Thats all we got. Billy was able to pull a 1.47.965! good enough for third place in our class and 5th overall all with on our Yokohama AO48s! Billy did an incredible job putting together a one lap miracle.

Thanks to our supporters, Chris, Robert, Nils, Toni, Curtis, and our other friends that stopped by to cheer us on. Bigger thanks to the CREW. Bruce, Fes, Jay, Keoni, Panda, and team mom Emmi.
Thats dedication.

And of course thank you to our sponsors, Yokohama, Cricket Wireless, KW suspensions, Exedy, NEO Synthetics, Light Group, Autovation, Daliracing, Brembo, RC Engineering, Tial Sport, Upgrade Motoring, and Back in Balance Chiropractic.

Now what times could we have gotten with more laps and some new sticky tires? Next year:biggrin:

DSC_0389copyLarge.jpg

DSC_0094copyLarge.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats to all our nsx track rats who do some amazing stuff to compete at the top level of time attack! For the guys that were there Esp if Andrie is lurking what was the difference in tune between the top s2000 by c-west at a 46:eek: and the N-1 s2000 in the same class at a 55:confused: That is a huge difference in pace.

Oh WOW.. Ed is still around??? I remember having him racing at one of my events with the Quick 8's. Any how it's good to hear that he's still in the scene :biggrin: Wondering if his lil bro is still racing :confused: Anyways you guys did great! Congrats!!!

R

Yeah that old man is still around:) They will be in the series next year with an RX8. Great guy!

Forgot to mention we were also able to take 1st overall in the street tire class with Nils killer EVO and drving skills:biggrin:

nils_manly_slb_08.jpg

What a way to end the season! We ended up taking 3rd in class and 5th overall all while only getting one full lap on competition day.

So much happened its hard figure out where to start. The short of it is...practice the day before we put quite a few laps on her and were pleased with the results. On the last lap when Billy came in we noticed the oil pressure a little low. Oh well we attributed that to the extreme temps the car ran for so long. We figured drain the oil and start her in the morning.

Next morning we made suspension changes and let the car warm up. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!!! Holy crap, rod knock! The elimination rounds start in a half hour. Utter silence in garage.....Check , Sounds no one wanted to hear...Check, Disappointed crew...Check. The decision was made to load her into the trailer with our tail between our legs and soak our sorrows at Seamless with a few bottles of JD. Through the grapevine we heard something about no qualifying sessions for this Super Lap… There is hope! After verifying with Elliott we quickly put a game plan together.

We find out we have till 2:30 to get the car running to make a time count...It's now 9:00am… Plenty of time to rebuild a motor with spare parts that we didn’t have right?

The never say die crew stays back to rip the aero off, remove the turbo in piping, and remove the oil pan. Myself, Panda and Mike hop in the bang bus in an effort to located some 327 chevy bearings. Should be easy right? We don't know anything in this town. Jumping to our third parts store getting further and further away from the track we finally make headway. Try explaining to a domestic stroker kit shop in Bakersfield that you need a rod bearing for a small journal SBC for a 93 Acura NSX. A little weird. BTW, we made a conscious decision between us three who would take the first second and third ticket. Thankfully it never happened.

We make it back around noon. The crew has her all stripped down. Number 3 bearing decided to fold unto itself. Removed bearing. Used sandpaper to remove residual material on crank. The bearing then needed to be modified to fit our crank and rod system, so we used a electric cut off wheel to "machine" the bearing. Just then Ed Bergenholtz walks into our garage and says " Are you guys really redoing the bottom end?" You guys are hardcore! He says and watched the madness.

We know the motor wont hold up very long despite the “precision machining.” Billy is given instructions to stay very mellow on the warm up and let her loose on the second lap. Thats all we got. Billy was able to pull a 1.47.965! good enough for third place in our class and 5th overall all with on our Yokohama AO48s! Billy did an incredible job putting together a one lap miracle.

Thanks to our supporters, Chris, Robert, Nils, Toni, Curtis, and our other friends that stopped by to cheer us on. Bigger thanks to the CREW. Bruce, Fes, Jay, Keoni, Panda, and team mom Emmi.
Thats dedication.

And of course thank you to our sponsors, Yokohama, Cricket Wireless, KW suspensions, Exedy, NEO Synthetics, Light Group, Autovation, Daliracing, Brembo, RC Engineering, Tial Sport, Upgrade Motoring, and Back in Balance Chiropractic.

Now what times could we have gotten with more laps and some new sticky tires? Next year:biggrin:
Everyone at Factor X pulled out another miracle and gave me a car that I could drive for 1 lap. That's all I got, that's all I needed, but the real story was the team:

Thank you Mikey, Ken, Bruce, Fes, Jay, Keoni, Panda, Emmi, Taylor, Ed, and everyone else on the team and who helped. You guys are amazing! Give any other team these problems and i'm sure they would give up, or fail trying. It's always a pleasure to drive for you guys and hang out. Congrats everyone, you deserve it.

Shad/Kip, It was great seeing all of you at the track. Congrats on the great results! I look forward to the next time hanging out w/you guys.

Shad/Kip, It was great seeing all of you at the track. Congrats on the great results! I look forward to the next time hanging out w/you guys.

LIKEWISE. great job!!! Let us know your schedule on the west coast. I look foreward to driving(following/chasing) with you again. Take care, Kip

Any explanation of the rod knock? Low on oil? Any potential weakness that all of us other "lowly" NSX owners need to worry about?
Rod knock + last minute cheeseball repair (try explaining to the guy behind the counter at the local NAPA/Kragen equivalent in Bakersfield California that you need a Chevy bearing for a Honda NSX....lol) = 1 lap to get it done before it fails again.

Original cause was high sustained Gs at WOT. This does have a baffled pan and 3QT accusump. If you dont have long radius corners and large R-compound tires that you are taking flat without lifting, their probably wont be an issue. With this much grip/downforce, we have the grip to take many corners flat that we use to be off throttle or maintenance throttle. High G's, High RPM, High load for a sustained period of time = bad.

Yeah that old man is still around:) They will be in the series next year with an RX8. Great guy!

Forgot to mention we were also able to take 1st overall in the street tire class with Nils killer EVO and drving skills:biggrin:

nils_manly_slb_08.jpg

Knew it all along. Rock on !

*Mermi*

Congrats to all our nsx track rats who do some amazing stuff to compete at the top level of time attack! For the guys that were there Esp if Andrie is lurking what was the difference in tune between the top s2000 by c-west at a 46:eek: and the N-1 s2000 in the same class at a 55:confused: That is a huge difference in pace.

Billy can you answer my specific question about the s2000's thanks.

here you go, 550whp, turbo.... it's exactly a factorX competitor..

http://www.turbomagazine.com/editors/turp_0810_honda_s2000_brian_crower/index.html

Hey thanks for the link!That explains how the car can post that time but again the next fastest s2000 in that class ,unlimited fr, was so much slower:confused: with madman Andrie at the wheel,:confused: For me the disconect is why would the two cars be classed the same with such a big differential.If Andries' car was 100% then they should have tried to qualify for a lesser class:redface: Props to cwest for tuning thier car to be near the peak for the class,I wonder if Andries' car was anywhere near that power level?

Sort of...

The C-west car did a 48 with 300whp. I forgot their new HP number but I don't think it was 550whp. Maybe 550 at the crank?

The entire body is made of dry carbon and weighs ~2,300lbs with driver. Andres' -probably a lot more.

I'm not sure what Andres' wheel and tire setup is, but the C-West had a huge offset, wheel spacers 18x10.5 wheels.

MOST importantly, the car had the Hankook C91 in a 275/40-18. On the M-WorkZ 350Z, we saw a 6-8 second difference between BFGoodrich G-force R1 (which is slightly faster than NT01, R888, etc...) and a USED set of C91s.

Probably better wing/splitter/aero.

My buddy Tyler McQuarrie was driving and their aren't too many people in the series who are better than him. He is a very good driver.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

The use of racing slicks in our class will level the playing field this year for all divisions. There was way too much variability over the past few years with tires.

Back