• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory 2013 NSX info sent to dealers

This new NSX is purposely designed to compete against the Nissan GT-R, Porsche and Audi R8. Given this information, we know the new NSX is not just a performer but a luxurious sports car. GT-R is proving that they can build a car under $100k that can match the performance of exotics and supercars priced over $200,000.

My feeling is that the NSX lineage has never been established with only one version under its belt. It was Honda's attempt to showcase it's engineering capability thus dubbing it as the new sportscar experimental. In which it is more meant as a benchmark.

There is nothing wrong with FR setup, now the cooling will require less liquid to travel to the radiator and a smaller package. The hybrid setup is really the path of the future. You can configure the weight distribution more evenly, lower the center of gravity and most importantly getting the most efficiency. Electric motors is like having nitrous, providing instant torque from the huge power band. Having 2 smaller electric motors also helps reduce the torsional forces and work better for traction control. It would be better if they are going to make the brakes electrically powered as well, eliminating the need for hydraulic pumps and lines. No parasitic power loss, less heat buildup and reduced weight.

You guys should check out the new Tesla Model S. It's a car that reminds me of the NSX, a benchmark car. Ultra quiet and with so much more interior room. The performance model is capable of a 4.4 sec 0-60 on a large sedan that weighs 1,000 lbs less than its competitors. The BMW M5 has 560 HP and does 0-60 in 4.4 sec as well.

So I see this new NSX more of an affordable Porsche 918 Spyder. If they are targeting the GT-R which has a 0-60 of 2.9 sec. The new NSX is possibly capable of doing that with electric motor assist. If the total power output is 500-600hp it would be a dream come true. 450hp is more than enough for everyday driving, while you have the extra power on tap. There's no reason to have 500-600hp for everyday, as no one is going to be racing every second driving the car. Extra power always good for passing, accelerating coming out of a corner and launching. This means the car will be more economical to drive daily if the electric motors are used for solely for stop and go conditions on economy mode.

Just my 2 cents.

I've said this for awhile now hence when the OP said the car would be $144k I said this was very unlikely. Posters started just running with it. The GTR is the pricepoint ( hopefully a performance point as well ) that Honda is trying to match.

What's interesting is no one seems to be talking about the amount of torque this car is going to produce. Everyone just keeps talking HP. This will be the FIRST 400+lb ft tq FACTORY Honda. Due to this has anyone considered Honda may encounter first year tranny problems like the GTR??

Forgot to mention that the prototype will be unveiled in Detroit on Jan 9, 2012. I won't be surprised if it end up looking like the HSV because they already built it and has verbally fit the description of 5 led headlights with a very low front nose.

Thanks but pretty much everyone knew this LOL But The car isn't going to look like the HSV by any stretch it's going to look like the Avengers car.

You would really want to replace your car with one that will most likely be slower on a track?

This car WILL not be slower than the old NSX! The crazy amount of TQ coupled with the SHAWD will mean people will hit corners at crazy angles like the GTR and due to the instant TQ and traction it will EXPLODE out of corners.

If I'm stylin'... sure...

LOL... I'm kidding. Why don't we hold off judgment until we know what it is. I doubt it will be slow in any way, unless wingZ is behind the wheel.

These motors are used for traction and wheel control, a perfect match for SHAWD... "hybrid" doesn't mean slow. It just means Hybrid.

I've been telling you guys to wait and reserve judgment till the show from the beginning of the thread 300 sum odd posts later you get the same bright idea:rolleyes:

I just found this thread and read most of the posts.
I have nothing interesting to add.

I'll go to Detroit in Jan and look at the concept (like I did with the HSV) and ask questions and take pictures. I'm interested, but not in love.

I think we should all be glad Honda/Acura is actually doing something in the sports car dept. Honda killed all their sports cars in recent years and now theyre looking to get back in the game in a big way. When the HSC debut, everyone complained that it didnt have enough power, ASCC came out......everyone said: thanks for the v10 but i was hoping for mid engine and i dont particularly like the style. Now we have this new car coming, and people are already complaining about the proposed hybrid powerplant and the acura power plenum (shield).
I think its all the complaining that caused acura to kill all previous concepts!! Hopefully history doesnt repeat itself so we can actually be excited about going to an Acura showroom again.

Hey if the HSC came back then everyone would say "look they copied the 458"... LOL

Even if the new NSX doesn't materialize at least it'll give Ferrari and Mclaren some new ideas for their future projects. :D

I think we should all be glad Honda/Acura is actually doing something in the sports car dept. Honda killed all their sports cars in recent years and now theyre looking to get back in the game in a big way. When the HSC debut, everyone complained that it didnt have enough power, ASCC came out......everyone said: thanks for the v10 but i was hoping for mid engine and i dont particularly like the style. Now we have this new car coming, and people are already complaining about the proposed hybrid powerplant and the acura power plenum (shield).
I think its all the complaining that caused acura to kill all previous concepts!! Hopefully history doesnt repeat itself so we can actually be excited about going to an Acura showroom again.

You would think them just going to a mid engine setup would be enough LOL

People here will complain even if it's 600hp with pop ups LOL. I'm anxious to see what it looks like and what really are. I know where I'd like it to be but am willing to wait and see what it does. Can't ask up to $100k for a car that doesn't even perform as well as the last one so I'm hopeful.

I wonder will history repeat where they don't do much to it over the years or will they follow Nissans lead of year to year improvement??

I think it was a great marketing decision on Honda's part to secure the car that Tony Stark in Iron Man drives. He has driven only some of the best looking cars around. Remember when he drove the Audi in a previous movie.

This is a great launch pad for bringing a halo car to the public. I believe most people who complain are not the ones with the money to purchase a new car. And as someone else pointed out those same folks can have an effect on what decisions are made. So be supportive.

I am really happy that Honda choose to again participate in the sports car market at this level. Good things will happen to all the rest of their line both in Acura as well as in the Honda line. We need Honda to flex their engineering and design expertise.

I marvel at my 01 NSX-T. It remains great looking and most importantly continues to perform in a way that brings a smile to my face. I recently had the timing belt changed (11 years old now with 27k miles). Yes I expected it to be in pretty good shape. What I got was a timing belt that still had all the printing on the outside and not a hint of wear on the inside. I hear it all the time, folks have owned all kinds of exotics and keep coming back to the NSX. You feel good everytime you drive it. There are some out there that have well over 250,000 miles on their cars. And they are thinking of changing some of the gaskets? Forget going into the engine.

Not many car companys can build that type of car. I am really excited and looking forward to what comes from Honda this time around. If it is good enough for Tony Stark....

Manny

Watch.... it's going to go something like.... "This new NSX is purposely designed to compete against the Nissan GT-R"... "on Gas Mileage"

How about these?
v63pz8.jpg

How about these?

Very nice sketch but it will probably never happen. Honda isn't going after the hyper car club. It kinda looks like a mclaren f1 and a zonda had a baby!! Nice nonetheless

I'll bet anything it'll be just over 100K in the V8 R8 range. It'll be fun to drive but it won't get stellar reviews as its performance numbers will be somewhat lagging behind non hybrid competitors. It'll get decent mileage and be much more modern, fairly comfortable. Just a hybrid twist on an R8. We will see how far off the mark I am.

I wonder what would happen if you doubled the juice to the front motors. We're going to have to learn this shit soon. LOL

Nice wheels :smile: Where's the flying buttress?

I kind of hope it is underpowered again. That way, it will weed out the uber-macho buyers and the demographic will be very similar to the original NSX buyers who have some handle on their testosterone. Macho buyers belong in the Corvette arena IMO (all power and little refinement) - just saying :tongue:

400 hp from high revving NA 3.5 V6 is great - that's not even 115 hp/liter. 350hp from the V6 is kind of weak and so 15 years ago. Let the other two electric hubs add the 40 ft-lbs/25 hp to bump it up to 450 hp.

Nspec I thought you were Über Macho. Are you telling me otherwise? You're letting me down.

I really don't think we are going to be disappointed in what Honda introduces. They have had the opportunity to think this out for several years now. They want to be successful, therefore I believe we will see a halo car that breaks new ground in terms of weight and performance. Honda knows what they are doing with engines. I believe they learned a lot in racing the LMP1 and LMP2 in ALMS. I know there are a lot of doubters out there. But we will soon find out in several weeks from now. Having owned several Toyota Prius' 2005 and current 2006 as well as my 2011 Nissan Leaf all electric vehicle I know people are in for a surprise when it comes to hybrid technology. Honda has not always been at the top with respect to hybrids but they have a lot of experience. People will be mind blown when they drive a performance vehicle with electric boost. Instant torque is something else. Honda will come up with a mix that will make their car run circles around other vehicles. I am just pleased that they did not drop out when the going got difficult. Honda is a remarkable organization. I think we are seeing the last of big horsepower vehicles. The Veyron is the last of its breed. Horsepower can be brutal and also unsophisticated. The future is in light weight materials and coordinated systems. For all of you who complain about not having a v8 or v10 consider that Porsche has not done too badly with a six. They have some great cars that win races. It is not always mine is longer or bigger than yours.
Manny

Anyone notice the detail in the taillights? It's a sliver of LEDs at the bottom that curves up a la current NSX. The rest of what looks like the light is actually a vent.

Nspec I thought you were Über Macho. Are you telling me otherwise? You're letting me down.

I want more hp like the next guy, but car companies and people in general will disappoint if you demand too much. All of this V8 and V10 talk with 500+ hp is not going to happen. Honda tried to deliver that aspect and looked what happened. They buckled under pressure in the midst of developing some oversized S2000. This was probably for the best, because that long-nose direction was for the birds :tongue:

All I want is NSX 2.0 with futuristic evolution in the design so it can last another decade or two. 400 hp V6 via mid-engine RWD sounds good to me. Keep it simple Honda and simply execute it on the highest level that will keep the industry on their toes. Honda has dabbled every now and then with class leading refinement, ergonomics and fitment - so surely they can do it again with this Halo car.

Let the Type R version come afterwards once they get a handle on sales volume with Comptech-like packaged FI or V8 that will enter the NSX into super/hyper car territory.

Let the Type R version come afterwards once they get a handle on sales volume with Comptech-like packaged FI or V8 that will enter the NSX into super/hyper car territory.

This is why I'm not sure I want to rush in and get one. I need the R version. :biggrin:

I'll bet anything it'll be just over 100K in the V8 R8 range. It'll be fun to drive but it won't get stellar reviews as its performance numbers will be somewhat lagging behind non hybrid competitors. It'll get decent mileage and be much more modern, fairly comfortable. Just a hybrid twist on an R8. We will see how far off the mark I am.

I don't think you are far off the mark at all. I even think it looks like an edgy R8. It is nice, but I am a little underwhelmed at the moment.

Just another week or so to see the real deal...

Back