• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory Keyless entry panic button not working

Got my keyless entry from Gold Coast Acura, $210 shipped, and got everything installed. Not as easy as everyone made it out to be, but all in all not too bad. Everything entry-wise works great, from the security light flashing in the door to the locks activating again after 10 seconds if the driver's door is not opened. Now the manual says that hitting the panic button will cause the factory alarm system to go off for 30 seconds, but when I hit my button, nothing happens. The transmitter flashes, so it is sending a signal, but that's it. Any ideas?? Also, if I get it working, how do I cut it off before 30 seconds goes by? Couldn't find that in the manual either.

Just hit me to test the alarm system, so I'll try that now. If it is working properly, any other ideas?

Tom

Last edited:
Verified the alarm works, to the consternation of all my neighbors, since it didn't quite go off right when I turned the key to the on position.

Tried holding the panic button down for about 10 seconds, and the red light on the transmitter blinks for the same amount of time as the locking button, but still nothing.

The car alarm has to be on, and may have even had to be on for a while (say 30 seconds), before the panic button will work.

For all practical purposes the panic button is basically just a way of accidentally setting off your car alarm, it's not as if you'll ever use it. Heck, I've considered disabling mine.

That's not the point.....

At 6'3" / 245#, you are right, I'll never use it. If needed, I'll let my Glock set the panic alarm off, for the attacker.

But my 5'5" / 120# blond wife might need it some day, even in such a great place as Raleigh.

Besides, when I pay over $200 for a remote, I think it ought to work.

:rolleyes:

:)

I'll try the "letting it be on for a while". Thanks for the tip.

Re: That's not the point.....

I'll try the "letting it be on for a while". Thanks for the tip. [/B]

This should be fun for the neighbors!! LOL New tranny doing ok?? Give me a call.

Hi Tom,

I did get to install my keyless last evening in my 1991. Install was relatively easy. When I first connected the battery the remotes worked fine, then I pushed the panic button and nothing, just like you.

Then I armed it, and went off to finish another car I was working on. Some time later (sorry cannot recall how long) I hit the panic button briefly, nothing. Then I held it down for 10 seconds or so and it went off. (Scared the heck out of me, since I thought it would not work:))

It also worked a second time. So it seems to be fine. There does seem to be some time interval the system must be armed before the panic will engage, and you need to hold if for a few seconds, as folks recommended above.

HTH,
LarryB

Hey Jason, yeah, tranny is doing well, although I am taking her easy till about 500 miles, and now that I have a daily driver, the 500 is taking WAY too long... :)

Cathy and Steve were great, so tell them for me next time you are in there, if you don't mind.

Just got back in from out of town, so I'll let it sit a while this weekend, during the required weekend wash, and try the button again.

Glad to hear your install went well, Larry.

Tom

Back