• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory Keyless entry prices

I am buying a 91 from a Acura dealer and found out it doesn't have keyless entry. They want $500 to install a factory unit. Does this sound reasonable?

Crazy. Buy the unit and install it yourself. It is very simple and instruction sheet is well laid out. Average DIY time should be couple of hours.
Save yourself the money and fill up the tank and take it for a drive after you do the job. :D
I installed the factory systems in both my Acura's without problem.

Yes, it's reasonable but you can save some money if you do it yourself. I paid about $350 for the part for my '99 and it took me about 1/2 hour to do the install. You can do it in 20 minutes, I just took my time because I wanted to do it right. Look in the FAQs, I wrote the install for a '99.

1HOT NSX said:
Yes, it's reasonable but you can save some money if you do it yourself. I paid about $350 for the part for my '99 and it took me about 1/2 hour to do the install. You can do it in 20 minutes, I just took my time because I wanted to do it right. Look in the FAQs, I wrote the install for a '99.

Guess I am pretty slow then if it took me a couple of hours. :( :D

You are as slow as you want to be . It took me literally hours to install my new Volk Racing Wheels, I had a terrible time installing the theft proof lugs that were just so tight that they were scratching the finish of the wheels aroung the lug as I was tightening them. I took all the time I wanted and I just scratched (slightly) one of the lug openings.:D

For 500 bucks you can get a good alarm to work with the factory alarm. It can get you a few more options like opening the trunk and shock sensors etc... I read some were that the keyless entry is not made any more for the older cars. But I could be wrong. It is a easy DIY.

The kit for the '91-92 is different from (and less expensive than) the kit for the '93-03. However, the kit for the '91-92 has been discontinued and may be hard to find. I know A&H no longer has it.

You can get a 1991-92 kit from Gold Coast Acura for $220 + shipping. I got one right after the news about them being discontinued. They had 40 in stock at the time (45 days ago), and this may be the last of them.

It was a relatively easy installation, and works great, even if it does not blink the lights:).

HTH,
LarryB

Only a few left in the country

Larry Bastanza said:
You can get a 1991-92 kit from Gold Coast Acura for $220 + shipping. I got one right after the news about them being discontinued. They had 40 in stock at the time (45 days ago), and this may be the last of them.

It was a relatively easy installation, and works great, even if it does not blink the lights:).

HTH,
LarryB

I just ordered mine and there are 26 left in the country.

I went through this about 3 weeks ago. The Acura keyless entry comes with no alarm and doesn't even work the trunk.

I purchased the keyless entry, including opening the trunk, full alarm, motion sensors for T/Top w/no splicing of wires or drilling of holes. The security blinking light that is located next to the door locks will blink when the alarm is set.

Cost w/Labor - $298
Add a pager to beep you from a 2mile radius $35.

Also...

Just added the Alpine CD changer/MP3 player w/adapters and only cost $215

EG

Clarification..

The Cobra motion sensor alarm. Try and break the glass or stick your hand into the car when the top is off and it will warn you then sound off.

EG-

Cobra Alarm with Motion Sensor

eg9 said:

I purchased the keyless entry, including opening the trunk, full alarm, motion sensors for T/Top w/no splicing of wires or drilling of holes. The security blinking light that is located next to the door locks will blink when the alarm is set.

Which model did you purchase? Who did install? How well does motion sensor work? Is motion sensor visible? How well does pager work? Do you really get a 2 mile radius?

Does anyone else have suggestions for an alarm system with motion sensors, or some other means of detecting attempts to reach into an open car (Circuit City is pitching a microwave system)? Any opinions about the "two-way" controllers that remotely notify you if your alarm is activated and that allow you to arm/disarm alarm from a greater distance?

Preferably a system that doesn't require cutting wires.

Last edited:
eg9 said:
...The Cobra motion sensor alarm. Try and break the glass or stick your hand into the car when the top is off and it will warn you then sound off....
I recently installed a Viper system w/ microwave motion sensor and am very happy. Total cost installed was $532.00.

Which Viper System?

mbartlett4 said:
I recently installed a Viper system w/ microwave motion sensor and am very happy. Total cost installed was $532.00.

Which Viper model did you purchase? Who did install? Were wires cut/spliced to perform install? Does system come with "two-way" remotes? If so, how well does it work? And at what distance? When the top is off, how far beyond perimeter of roof-line can someone reach before activating alarm? Is the system transparent, or must microwave unit be openly installed within the passenger compartment?

Anyone else have anything to contribute regarding the Viper Alarm system?

The model I had installed is the 650XV w/ the microwave intrusion sensor (an add on for open top cars).

The microwave intrusion sensor has a range of about 30 in. which is mor than enough to protect the interior of my NSX.

I had it installed at a local outfit called BrandsMart.

No splices were made for the install. Connections were made via existing terminal blocks and plug style connectors. The only holes made were to mount the siren in the hood area and one exteremely small hole in the console cover next to the shift patern plaque for the armed indicator. The microwave unit itself is mounted under the coin tray and is not visible.

Although I didn't opt for it, there is a 2-way remote option available for an additional $109.

HTH

I have the factory keyless entry from my 97 with 1 remote available for $85 or I can offer you an aftermarket that works better than the factory unit with two remotes and an easy wiring diagram for $75.

I also have Viper alarms, radar detectors, subwoofer enclosures and plenty of NSX advice and diagrams.

Feel free to private to [email protected] with any electronic needs.

Andy

I have this alarm that it's supposed to be pre-wired, etc. I think I bought it from Andy posting above . I never installed it because I had to tap into this wire and that one and it seemed to me like it was a nightmare to install. It's supposed to do the trunk and other things and he said he pre-wired it for me. The remotes look extremely cheap to me. I think I paid over $100 for it. You can have it for free. Pay me for shipping and it's yours. Let's call it my contribution to someone who is willing to put in the time and effort to make this thing work - not worth it in my opinion but it's your call.

Back