• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory or Aftermarket pads?

I need new brake pads, and I was wondering what people experienced with aftermarket pads vs. oem pads. I've found a couple companies that sell the pads: autospecialty,beck/arnley, and bendix....the pads range from $32-$40. The prices seem cheap but don't know about the quality. And what is the difference between semi-metallic and regular pads?

I tried the Autospecialty metal master, they are not as good as stock. Currently have porterfield R4S and very happy with them. If u track your car, I would recommend u to get porterfield or other similar quality. The stock wears out very fast on the track. Next are Dali street/track pads. I'll let u know then...

I'm using the RM Racing High Performance brake pads that are designed for street/track use. They are high temperature stable and low dusting and stop with about half the brake pressure of stock pads.

Beware. You can walk into your local generic auto parts store and find pads for the NSX, because they're the same size and shape as those on other cars (some Legends, Integra Type R, etc). But their composition will not stand up to the heat and performance demands of the NSX. That's why they only cost $40.

However, there ARE some very good aftermarket pads on the market, including the street/track pads sold by RM Racing. Check out the FAQ section of this website called "Brakes" (under the "Performance" heading).

I just replaced my stock pads with RMRacing street/track pads. I did the install myself. I was shocked at how easy it was, and the pads feel great.

A question for other RMRacing pad users out there: How long did it take to fully bed the pads, and did the pads squeal?

Thanks!

I recently installed the Dali street/track pads with steel braided lines. Amazing difference and I would recommend this to everybody. Speed is nothing without control and braking is much improved, I feel a lot more confident if the need arises to stop quick. The only negative I have is that when the pads are cold they stop worse, but that goes away after a few minutes and then it just gets better the hotter they get (wonder if I accidentally received the track pads).

They're more expensive than some of the cheap stuff out there but cheaper than RM or Comptech and besides Mark at Dali is always helpfull.

A question for other RMRacing pad users out there: How long did it take to fully bed the pads, and did the pads squeal?

I've used a bunch of sets of those pads and like them a lot. My usage is primarily on the track. For track usage, you need to break them in in order to keep them from wearing out too quickly. To break them in, you need to get them very hot, then let them cool down - for example, with a whole bunch of VERY hard 80-20 mph stops at 1-mile intervals on a deserted highway. Normal street usage won't give them the heat cycling they need.

If you're only going to use them on the street, then you probably don't need to worry about it. They should work fine and bed into the rotor pretty quickly.

I have never had a set of these squeal, on the street OR on the track. I'm pretty good during the pad change procedure about using anti-squeal goop on the back of the pads and cleaning out the places where the caliper holds them.

Back