• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory stereo IPod integration, Plug-n-Play - GromAudio

I just installed my unit this evening and I have a volume problem. There is low volume, even though I have the radio volume all the way up. Any suggestions????

Can you use the program button and "change CDs?" Or is it just blinking the CD # and Track #?

I had the same symptoms as you. In addition to it not recognizing the GROM unit anymore (blinking CD and Track #s).

GROM said the unit I sent in was fine, but they sent me a new one that I just received today. It has the same damn problem.

I tried different cables, etc, pulled the radio fuse to "reset"... but nothing. My iPhone was still charging even though the radio fuse was pulled and the radio did not have power. The CD Changer cable obviously has a constant supply of power.

Instead of disconnecting the battery, I pulled the clock fuse. My iPhone stopped charging... so I waited a few seconds, put the fuse back in... and then BOOM, everything is working again.

I hope that helps someone!

turn off the head unit. turn it on while the ipod is connected. switch unit to cd and make sure the ipod is in play. press prog on the head unit and wait about 5 sec...

Just hooked mine up with the behind the seat method.

My plug was the top one, not the bottom one as stated by the OP. I could not for the life of me get the window popper lever off, so I had to kinda yank and squeeze my hands to put it all together with the panel still attached. Only broke two of the three clips on the top trim piece. :biggrin:

Thanks for the write up. Boy, does the Ipod kick butt on the changer soundwise.

turn off the head unit. turn it on while the ipod is connected. switch unit to cd and make sure the ipod is in play. press prog on the head unit and wait about 5 sec...

Thanks Warren, I am at least working now. The change playlist feature is not working right though, and it seems to be doing things different from the same inputs. Report later. It sounds a little more aggressive as you might expect. Thankfully the Bose systems are laid back in the highs so it's acceptable. I personally don't think it sounds as good as the CD though. I'll have to turn the treble down some to compensate on loud rock. All certainly listener specific stuff.

I just installed my unit this evening and I have a volume problem. There is low volume, even though I have the radio volume all the way up. Any suggestions????

Did you figure your problem out? I had exactly the same problem the first time I connected mine. I ended up pushing the either the "Repeat" or "Scan" button on the headunit and the volume level shot up to a normal listening volume. Be careful, bring the volume down when you experiment.

Hope it works out. . .

hi guys --

We have a review we'll be posting on a "Ipod Interface for Factory Stereo Shootout" in the next day or two.

Cheers,
-- Chris

I'll be first in line to purchase, as this will be the only mod done to the Zanardi:redface:

Thanks to the first NSX member who posted this. I was contemplating tearing my BOSE unit out. I thought i'd give the GROM audio ipod link a try. Instead of going thru the center console or behind the driver seat I just disconnected the cd player in the trunk like some other users I saw do. It took a total of 5 minutes to do it, and tuck the Grom audio box and my ipod under the cd player. The sound is great, and skipping through the playlists is an ease. I would recommend this to anyone else contemplating integrating an ipod. The only problem I had was just like everyone else I got the MBUS plug instead of the HON 92 plug, even though I requested it up front. It took a few emails to get Dmitri to send it, but he did, no charge.

I'll be first in line to purchase, as this will be the only mod done to the Zanardi

Good call. Ipod adapters are very easy to install and completely reversible. They also bring your NSX into the 21st century soundwise. You will love carrying around 1000 or more songs in the car. It's like having a massive CD changer in your car.

Trev, the answer to your question is here. I didn't want to hijack this thread.

Last edited:
I just did the set up last night and oh boy this thing really bring the old Bose stereo system back to life :eek:.

The different is really day and night for me. This mod is really a must for the NSX.

Big thanks to Happa88, NSX-GT and others for the tips.

i just order mine ipod adapter on ebay. hopefully get it by monday and do the install soon. :tongue:

yes, did you!

this is a thread about reviewing the ipod adapdter made by GromAudio. And from what I read it works well. If there was a better one, this topic would be named "Factory stereo IPod integration, Plug-n-Play - <Best ipod adapter>"

:rolleyes::confused:

Read post # 87 & 88 - that sold me right there. Why isn't this good enough for you?

Didn't we just go over this very subject / issue?

Last edited:
Not a problem, I'm glad to help. BTW: thank you for introducing the IPOD adapter to us. Also thanks to "Ojas" and "Drew".
If you don't want to expose your IPOD, just use the IPOD shuffle with 1-2Gig memory and tuck in under the center console and use the OEM CD command mode button.

Does it come with adapter for the shuffle?

With the adapter, will I still be able to control the Shuffle via the button on the oem head unit? (fwd, play etc..)
Nope, the only output on the shuffle is the analog output (headphone jack). I don't believe that control data can be sent through that.

Just drop the $150 for the Nano if you really need the control.

Just hooked mine up with the behind the seat method.

My plug was the top one, not the bottom one as stated by the OP. I could not for the life of me get the window popper lever off, so I had to kinda yank and squeeze my hands to put it all together with the panel still attached. Only broke two of the three clips on the top trim piece. :biggrin:

Thanks for the write up. Boy, does the Ipod kick butt on the changer soundwise.

same here it was the upper plug that have the 8 pin cd changer plug. not the bottom one as stated. i just let my cable sit on the passager seat since i dont want to drill holes or cut things up. i use the gromaudio adapter with my i phone and it works perfect. but the message pop up on my i phone say the device is not compactible with the i phone but when i switch the phone to the ipod mode it works perfect.

I also noticed that the volume too. I believe there are some options to make it louder via IPOD settings. You'll have to play around with it.

I had the same issue. I hit the button on the oem stereo marked "A. select" or whatever it says (on the right hand side of the oem stereo) and the volume went up to normal.

I really am puzzled why everyone says the stereo is so much better than with the CD. Isn't the compression way way higher on the CD vs. the mp3? I do understand the difference between using a hard drive to hold a zillion songs vs. the changer, but as for song quality?

Back