• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fantasy NSX Engine swap

Using the S2000 technology on a new 6,8,or10 cyl. motor would produce amazing results. My Honda motorcycles have always been very fast, Light weight , high revving , W/S2000 technology it would be extremely quick.:p

I agree with you in the idea that any car can be upgraded to put down serious hp, but thats if money was not a factor. My main point is that an Evo with 1k of mods can gain about 80hp on the dyno. Try that with an NSX! You can buy a 1400 exhaust for an NSX, but what kind of result will that get you on a dyno?

Evo:

3in Exhaust with full race downpipe 650 bucks
Manual Boost Regulator 50 bucks
Apex Air Fuel Controller 300 bucks-To lean out the rich mixture

Don't get me wrong, I love the NSX, but you must admire such an awesome machine, Brembo Brakes, Recaro buckets, 271hp, front mount IC, Alum. Hood & Fenders, and CF Wing, straight out of the box for 30k. Makes most M3 owners run for cover.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

AJKS said:
What car mag did you read these times? Road and Track had 14.1, 1/4 and 5.4, 0-60.
The times you have down sound like a modified car to me.

Come on, since when did Road & Track and Euro Mag become a reliable source for testing JDM cars?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

Blackstar said:
Come on, since when did Road & Track and Euro Mag become a reliable source for testing JDM cars?

So your saying they do not know how to drive cars over at Road & Track? I will buy that. But the euro car mags, well let me say this. these guys are a bit crazy. They will do there best to get the fastest time possible out of the test cars. They have the "drive it like you stole it" attitude. One real good Euro mag is EVO. I have seen more acurate test numbers in Evo than US car mags. There is another real good one, it looks like Sport Compact Car I will dig one out of my mag rack when I get home and post some info on it.

Forget the watered down Evolution. The 2004 USDM Subie STi gets my vote and respect.

It's 300/300 motor with forged internals is damn impressive. Subaru states 0-60 in 4.6 but that is likely conservative (they did the same with the WRX).

The car's estimated weight is ~3200 pounds, and its price is rumored to be $30,995. We'll know for sure in 2 weeks.

Not many cars will be able to beat it in terms of performance, and when you factor in price, it's an incredible bargain.

Aight, let me give NetViper a hand to steer this post back on track for a little bit. Before that, I'm just really curious why the Evolution and the WRX are even an issue to the NSX. Whether they can beat us in a straight line or track times (this I highly doubt but that'still not the point) doesn't concern me. In fact, I hope they DO beat us, given all the time (13 years) they had as well as the technological advances, and if they don't, they ought to stick with making TVs, refridgerators or rice cookers instead. Price discussion is even more ridiculous. Considering the NSX can beat the F355 in 1/4 mile (which is true) and the Evolution/WRX can beat the NSX (which I don't care if it's true or not), thus giving us the knowledge the F355 is slower than the Mitsubishi/Subaru. Do you think the Ferrari folks would give a rat's azz? Absolutely not. Exotics won't be called exotics if they are a bargain.

Back to the fantasy engine swap, I really couldn't name an engine that has more power while still share the same characteristics of the C30 or the C32B. The F360 Challenge is the closest one I know, 400+ hp with the redline at 8500 rpm but Ferrari engine isn't an option, I know. The only that comes in my mind is the JRD Panoz Esperante's engine is a pretty good one, V8 supercharged 600hp / 510 torque but too bad it redlines at 6800. Conclusion, the JGTC 3.5L that produces 500hp is the closest thing to the original. I don't think Honda will build a 350hp V8 simply because they can produce a V6 with the same hp. Mind you, if Honda is gonna make a V8, it'll be a monster.

BTW, Zonda's engine is just another Mercedes product, 555hp 7.3L AMG tuned V12. Personally, I don't find Mercedes engines inspiring at all, not even the SLR, maybe a little on the CLK GTR.

NsxJoy said:
BTW, Zonda's engine is just another Mercedes product

I do not agree on this! It is like saying that the Lotus Elise is just another Rover product... the engine does only make a small part of the Zonda. All tests say that the car is a wonder to drive, well balanced, a much better buy than the Murcielago, etc.
Saying that the HUGE Mercedes engine is the part behind the success of this car is quite simplistic, IMHO.

NsxJoy said:
BTW, Zonda's engine is just another Mercedes product

Okay, you quoted me and let me re-quote myself. I said the ENGINE is just another Mercedes product because it IS a Mercedes product. It's not something for you to agree on or not, it's a fact. I've never commented on the car itself.

Ok. It seemed to me you were putting down the whole Zonda package because of the engine (I still think so reading your words). But I cannot dimonstrate it, you were speaking about the engine: also you win!

;)

NsxJoy said:
In fact, I hope they DO beat us, given all the time (13 years) they had as well as the technological advances, and if they don't, they ought to stick with making TVs, refridgerators or rice cookers instead.

Good point, but the engine used in the Evo also dates back to the 1991 1st generation Talons and Eclipses.

I like unique cars, especially low production vehicles. With only 40 Zonda roadsters built, priced at $600,000 each, it is definitely a car I've a lot of respect for (not to mention performance, 0-60 in 3.7 secs!!). Some people don't like the quad tip center exhaust but I like it. Another car, the Shelby Series 1, is also among my favorites.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

AJKS said:
But the euro car mags, well let me say this. these guys are a bit crazy. They will do there best to get the fastest time possible out of the test cars. They have the "drive it like you stole it" attitude. One real good Euro mag is EVO. I have seen more acurate test numbers in Evo than US car mags.

Ummm, I believe that EVO was the mag that clocked the NSX's 0-60 at over 6 seconds

"Doing everything they could" included shifting at 7500.

Blackstar said:
Good point, but the engine used in the Evo also dates back to the 1991 1st generation Talons and Eclipses.

woah its a freaking DSM in the new lancers and evos? news to me, he he.

NsxJoy said:
I like unique cars, especially low production vehicles. With only 40 Zonda roadsters built, priced at $600,000 each, it is definitely a car I've a lot of respect for (not to mention performance, 0-60 in 3.7 secs!!). Some people don't like the quad tip center exhaust but I like it.

Ditto all of this! I hate the boxster's anus-like exhaust, but the quad tip center is more acceptable ... looks like a jet engine!!!

If you watch the TopGear review of the Zonda with an openmind, you will appreciate it (at the very least).

Originally posted by naaman
Ummm, I believe that EVO was the mag that clocked the NSX's 0-60 at over 6 seconds. "Doing everything they could" included shifting at 7500.

...that's because they didn't want to 'hurt' the poor little baby. :p

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

naaman said:
Ummm, I believe that EVO was the mag that clocked the NSX's 0-60 at over 6 seconds

"Doing everything they could" included shifting at 7500.

Well let me point out issue #47 Sep2002

They tested the NSX R. First off they gave it 5 stars. To give you some idea of what they thought.
"lighter, keener, track-optimised" , "the 0-60mph time tumbles to 4.4 sec, and there's a new found urgency to the power delivery". So I think they are giving it 2 thumbs up, and with 4.4 sec 0-60 I think they did their part on giving it a good test run.

Well I've seen two reviews of the NSX-R, one of them was the one you mentioned, I can't remember the other. But they both clocked the 0-60 at 4.4. Which is quite impressive, as far as I'm concerned.

sabashioyaki said:
The list of cars significantly faster in a straight line (1/4 mile) than the NSX is growing, but the growing list is mostly only Mercedes.

The following Mercs will all do mid 12 1/4s

E55 - not out yet, price TBD
SL55 - MSRP $116,070
SL600 - never heard of it
CL600 - MSRP $128,220
S600 - MSRP $123,860
CL55 - MSRP $117,020
CL65 - never heard of it

It's hard to find test results for these cars because they are such "niche" vehicles, with few cars actually sold.

sabashioyaki said:
I wouldn't count the Z8 since the 6spd is no longer in production, you can only buy an auto.

It's odd that you say this, since the same thing is true of all the Mercedes models you listed.

The thing about a lot of those Benzes is that they have big V-12s that are turbocharged or supercharged and "need" all that power just to get the car moving. I drove my neighbor's S600 to Vegas last Christmas with him and his family as passengers (+luggage). The car was seriously bogged down, and engine response was a little slow (although, he showed me a button on the dash that activated some sort of weight compensation system or something). From what I remember, the S600's engine is putting out something like 590lb.ft. and making 369HP. I did punch it for about 1.5 sec and could really feel the torque on the freeway...
but generally, the car felt unweildy and far from sporty (which should be expected from a 5000+ lb laden vehicle). I wouldn't really consider it "competition" for the NSX. Also, where did the 1/4 mile times come from? Are they factory claims or actual test results?

I know that the factory makes some outrageous claims sometimes (example: Chevy was claiming that the Z06 could run 0-60 in 3.9sec).

I guess this got a little off topic... but if your NSX isn't fast enough, put a turbo/supercharger on it or (I'm not sure if this is possible) have the engine stroked.

nsxtasy said:

CL65 - never heard of it

Ken.. the CL65 is the lastest MB creation. Basically a CL55 with 604 HP and 738 TQ!!!! It's going to MOVE!

nsxtasy said:
E55 - not out yet, price TBD
SL55 - MSRP $116,070
SL600 - never heard of it
CL600 - MSRP $128,220
S600 - MSRP $123,860
CL55 - MSRP $117,020
CL65 - never heard of it

It's hard to find test results for these cars because they are such "niche" vehicles, with few cars actually sold.

It's odd that you say this, since the same thing is true of all the Mercedes models you listed.

I said this because the Alpina Z8 with the auto is slower than the Z8 6spd and about equal to the NSX. It's not a matter of 6spd vs auto.

Also all these Mercedes "niche" vehicles will sell many times what the NSX sells per year.

E55 is out, my local dealer has one priced as 20,000 over sticker.
SL600 is just the SL with the 6.0 TT V12.
CL65 is the AMG version with 600+hp and 700+tq.

naaman said:
The thing about a lot of those Benzes is that they have big V-12s that are turbocharged or supercharged and "need" all that power just to get the car moving. I drove my neighbor's S600 to Vegas last Christmas with him and his family as passengers (+luggage). The car was seriously bogged down, and engine response was a little slow (although, he showed me a button on the dash that activated some sort of weight compensation system or something). From what I remember, the S600's engine is putting out something like 590lb.ft. and making 369HP. I did punch it for about 1.5 sec and could really feel the torque on the freeway...
but generally, the car felt unweildy and far from sporty (which should be expected from a 5000+ lb laden vehicle). I wouldn't really consider it "competition" for the NSX. Also, where did the 1/4 mile times come from? Are they factory claims or actual test results?

I know that the factory makes some outrageous claims sometimes (example: Chevy was claiming that the Z06 could run 0-60 in 3.9sec).

I guess this got a little off topic... but if your NSX isn't fast enough, put a turbo/supercharger on it or (I'm not sure if this is possible) have the engine stroked.

The S600 you drove was the old non turbo charged model. All new mecedes V12s are twin turboed and put out at least 500hp.

Back