• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

FAQ - How to import a car

Red

Legendary Member
HOW TO: Import a car from the USA: As authored by 95EagleAWD

Things to do before you import

Make sure it's legal. Sounds stupid, but not everything can come over.

This is what you need

Title - Make sure the owner has signed the back of it, signifying it's sold.

Bill of Sale - You really should have one that has both signatures in ink. I got major shit at the US side of customs when trying to export the car. My bill of sale had been faxed between the seller and I, and customs didn't really like that. You can also fudge the amount if you really want to, but make it believable.

Insurance - Take your bill of sale to your insurance company and insure the car before you get it. That way you can drive it home, or if anything happens to it, it's covered

Recall Clearance Letter - I've heard people having no problem getting these, and I've heard of dealers refusing to give them out, so YMMV. You'll need one for the federal inspection if your car is less than 15 years old. If it's older, no need.

Things on the car

Manufacturer's cargo capacity lab - This is simply the doorjam stickers that state date of manufacture, VIN, weigts and all that crap.

VIN - Again, sounds stupid, but make sure the 17-digit VIN is on the dash.

Speedo - Make sure the speedometer has KM/H on it. Some older cars might not.

Customs

Paperwork - You have to fax your title and bill of sale to the Border. This MUST BE DONE AT LEAST 72 HOURS IN ADVANCE. I can't stress that enough. If you don't, they can make you wait at the border till 72 hours has passed. That being said, they let me across early, so again, YMMV. Also, when you fax them all the stuff, they will fax you something to fill out as well. Do so and fax it back to them. You might want to call them to make sure that all your paperwork gets there. No point in them not getting it.

The crossing - Make sure you go to the right border crossing for exporting. Coots does it in Alberta. Lewiston Bridge or Detroit in Ontario. You have to declare that you're exporting the car to the US side. They'll make you park, then you need to go inside and show them the bill of sale and title. They will ask the value of what you're exporting, so you better know what's written on the bill of sale. They will stamp the title as EXPORTED and you're on your way to the Canadian side. When you get there, they will ask you if you're bringing anything across. Tell them you're importing the car. Again, they'll ask you the value. So make sure you know it. Again, they'll tell you to park it and come inside. Show them the bill of sale and title. They will check the bill of sale versus blue book, so like I said, make it realistic.

Then it's time to open the wallet. You'll pay 5% GST on everything. On anything BUILT outside the USA, you'll also pay 6.1% duty. If the car is not 15 yet, then you'll pay $206 for the RIV fee. If it has AC, another $100. They never checked my car, so you might get away with lying about that.

After you've been raped in taxes, you should be free to go. And it's a great feeling.

Now, I never had to go through any of the RIV crap, so the following is off JAYMEZ's Beyond.ca thread.

Things to do in Canada

You have 30 days to do this. Or the government takes your car away.

Put DRLs on the car if it's built after 1990. You'll need these for both Federal and OOP inspections. Mine lasted five minutes after OOP.

You will need to get a car inspection (I believe the paper can be bought at a registry for $18) - They will check basic things like , lights , how it drives ect ect , this is pretty damn painless , and sometimes they might forget to do it and pass you.

OOP - You have 10 to 15 days to complete this once you have applied for the inspection. After this, you can get a plate.

Federal Inspection sheet - 10 days after you import your car , you will get form 2 in the mail , this inspection you have to do at Canadian tire. You have 45 days to complete this.

Last edited:
thanks Stu for the guide. This will be very helpful and informative to those who are looking to do this, and are clueless on the process.
also this link is helpful in which cars are admissible and inadmissible into Canada:
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/us_vehicle_admissibility.html... and guidelines on what needs to be done to have them legally imported, but a call into the Manufacturer would be best as well to make sure you cover all points needed.

icon_popcorn.gif

Full credit to 95EagleAWD!!!!

Some points are not exactly correct...........DEPENDING on the border you are crossing at, A FAX WILL NOT SUFFICE. You need the ORIGINAL title sent to ANY border crossing that has more then one option ie. Buffalo since you can cross at Fort Erie, or the other two. Therefore they request the original title 3 days (72 hrs) in advance. The single crossing are not a problem to fax, however Customs is getting sticky and are soon going to require the original.

I would strongly suggest NOT to fudge or openly admit there is AC - if caught buy, buy car could be a strong option tot he Customs Officer if he wants.

FYI - Customs officials have the HIGHEST authority of them all and can do what they want, when they want for no justifable reason - so why push the limit and risk not allowing your car into Canada - or getting delayed big time for a few extra bucks (which if buying an NSX you can afford).

You'll also need to complete a Form 1 which is required for any vehicle (bike, car, atv) being brought in.

I import cars weekly and with the "title" I personally went thru it when I brough a bike over. All it takes is a $15 courier fee and your problems are are solved. I'd hate to see you fax something only to get there and be denied entry for 3 more days.

Has anything chaged in the 3 years since this FAQ was written? I am importing a 1991 NSX into Canada, anything special I should know?

I imported a car a year ago. If you follow the advice above, you'll be surprised how easy it is. Both customs agents (US & Can) asked me if I did this all the time, because I was organized.

Keys to success:
1. Have everything with you - your bill of sale, copy of the money wire from the bank (they will ask for this or an original copy of however you transfered the funds).
2. If your car requires the recall clearance letter - have that and your signed title sent to the US border 3 days before you get there. This is vital to export your car into Canada.
3. Be organized. Have your paperwork organized when you get to the border. You don't want to be fumbling around. If you hand them what they want when they ask for it, they won't ask questions. I watched a guy struggle with importing a car in front of me, and they turned him back. Imagine that! You've bought the car, but cannot bring it across!
4. Shawna (Gecko) gave you good advice. Don't lie, or fudge the price with the seller. They check things, and go online (ebay, craigslist, cars.com). If they catch you, you're very screwed.

Also, might want to make a couple copies to take along of all docs.........leaving some at each Customs office (CAD/USA) and then one for you..........may have to give some to local license office when you register it here..........at least you have them and not have to scramble getting them again.....as SEan says BE ORGANIZED!

Is the duty applied to cars older than 15 yrs? ie: would a 1995 have duty aplied to it, (model year or date of manufacturer) I read earlier that a recall letter is not required for 15 yrs or older...

Nothing has changed since, However your car is more that 15 years old, therefore you don't need a recall letter.

The RIV website have all the details

Bram

You are slightly wrong here. There have been some changes made to the RIV program. First, they no longer accept driving lights or park lights as DRL's. They say something about the lights needing a DRL designation to be acceptable. When I brought my NSX in I used a cheap pair of CDN Tire driving lights as DRL's. That is no longer allowed due to the rule change.

Is the duty applied to cars older than 15 yrs? ie: would a 1995 have duty aplied to it, (model year or date of manufacturer) I read earlier that a recall letter is not required for 15 yrs or older...

I believe that duty is applied. I just bought a 1973 Volvo and I am pretty sure I paid duty. The reason you don't need a recall letter is because on a 15 year old car you don't have to go through the RIV program. However, duty and taxes have nothing to do with RIV. For example, you have to pay duty on clothing and gifts you bring home and it has nothing to do with how old they are.

Duty is applicable for all cars under 25 yrs old, at which time they become antiques and are exempt under some provision.

If the car was not manufactured in the US like the NSX... you will need to pay duties of approx. 6.1% in addition to the GST.

When you register your car provincially, they will take the total value PLUS the Duties and tag on PST to that total. There is probably some logical reason that they place PST on the Duties but that's what they did at the MTO.

Hello Prime'rs I'm new here!

I drove my '91 up through the border last weekend with no problems - I was very organized. I'm ecstatic about the condition of the car, best purchase of my life thus far!!

But I need advice on my final step - registering it. I have my Request for Vehicle Inspection form. Are the only required mods daytime running lights and metric gauges?

Anyone know where I can find a white-faced k/hr speedometer/tach (not the entire cluster)? I've looked around Edmonton with no luck so far. If I can't find white I'll settle for OEM.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Metric gauges are actually not required since the OEM gauges already have metric on them.

When I had my car inspected, they looked for 3 things...

- functioning DRL (you can use set of fogs, no need to purchase the ripoff DRL lights)
- they watch for the SRS light to come on and disappear.
- the want to see the child tether anchor ($15 part, just show it in the bag)

You could probably show them some nuts and bolts and they wouldn't know the difference for the child tether but I did order up the OEM tether since it was so cheap anyway.

Hi,
If I bring the car on is own power to Canada what I need to kept with me in the car to be safe with a Police officer in case of arrest.

I would like to know if I need a tempory licence plate from the state where I buy the car ?

I need to kept to vehicle registration of the actual owner ?

A copy of the title signed by the owner ? (original at the customs)

Insurance police number of my insurance companie ?

Thanks !
Jeff

Last edited:
Yes, you have everything listed in your post...good look importing your NSX.

Bram

And I imagine I dont need to pay any kind of tax in US about the sale of the NSX when it's a private sale ?

Do you still have the spare set of DRL lights ? It's the OEM kit ?

Back