• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Favorite Pistol

Am looking to buy a small pistol to keep at my private office.....One of my guys has a Keltec p11 9mm i can get for about 250-300 range with extra clip and box of bullets.....I saw a Smith and wesson 380 w built in laser sight that is pretty sweet for 500.00 what do yall suggest? Wil keep in my desk drawer and possibly carry on me after I get my concealed liscense. thks

I think this has been discussed here before. Everyone has their own reason why one brand of firearm is better than another. All that matters is that it fits your hand and goes bang when your booger finger pullS the trigger.

I have a few handguns and each one serves a different purpose.

p11 or pF-9 is a really small gun. theyre slim and easy to conceal if youre going that route.

if the gun is just going to sit in your drawer, you might want to get something that fits your hand more comfortably (easier to grip).

i prefer a good 1911. =)

If all you want is a gun for a desk drawer, then you don't need to worry so much about fit and finish, as long as it works. At that point, I wouldn't bother with laser sights, either. KelTec makes some good stuff that works pretty well, but doesn't look as good on the outside as some others (have a P-11, love it, but the department won't authorize it for duty use). Other than that, you're probably looking at a snubbie .38.

I carry a Kimber, but it's for a different purpose. My backup is a Ruger SP-101.

I have that Kel-tec 9mm P-11 in my nightstand next to my .38 Titanium Taurus revolver. For home defense or carry I actually found I prefer the revolver as it is literally point & shoot. The semi-auto you always have to try to remember, ? chamber in round, ? cocked, ? safety on... things like that. That being said I think the Kel Tec shoots very nicely for it's compact size. Just don't overlook the thought of a revolver though : fewer shots, granted but very very light & once again, point & shoot. Just my humble opinion...

For ultimate conceal carry, I prefer the Ruger LCP. It's a 6+1 .380 caliber pocket pistol that you can literally fit in the palm of your hand. After carrying the Glock 26 as my conceal carry, the Ruger makes it feel like I’m carrying a cinder block. While it doesn’t carry as many rounds, has less stopping power, and is slightly less accurate, because of its diminutive size and lightweight, it’s much more likely carried because it fits in a pocket nicely. I can think of a couple of times I left the Glock behind because of the hassle factor which of course does me no good if I needed it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses I should have known there are too many choices. :smile:

For a "pocket gun", Check out a Diamond Back 380.. looks like a Glock that got stuck in the dryer and is as reliable as one too. I just picked one up and I'm very pleased...

My wife just purchased a Sig p238 because of the colt style safety and feel. Like a tiny 1911. For her it's a good carry gun and welll balanced.

I wouldn't do the Body Guard with built in laser... just seems a little bulky...just my opinion...

The Diamond Back is made in the USA, good reviews, reliable, shoots well. Load it up with Hydra Shock or something similiar.

Both guns are reasonably priced... much less then say a Kahr 380.

My favorite is my Glock 27 to carry... small, yet punchy.

good luck....

PS... since you're so close, you may want to swing by the Bullet Trap in Plano and check them all out, after you go to Cars'n Coffee in Oct....just a thought.

Last edited:
No different than any NSX vs. Anything on here. Everyone has their own opinion. Go to a store with a range and shoot shoot shoot. Pick the one that you like best; you'll be more convinced with your decision no doubt.

I really like the HK45 and have been considering the HK45C as a concealed carry firearm. But even the C is a large gun and I don't want size to limit my ability to carry.

But they are awesome pistols and the most enjoyable I've shot.

I prefer a .50 cal Beowulf AR-Pistol for a CCW. :biggrin: I can only imagine the kick on it. My friend had a full size .50 cal Beowulf and I could only shot 5 rounds before my shoulders were too sore from the recoil.

picture-7-12-tm.jpg

Last edited:
Go to a store with a range and shoot shoot shoot. Pick the one that you like best; you'll be more convinced with your decision no doubt.

Yup, it's really a very personal thing.. as mentioned, Bullet Trap has most all these you can test fire and try.

Great idea.......Guns and cars......whats next? Girls too? :cool:

hk usp compact FTW!

1st off Don't buy anything in .380 or 9mm. Its good for Paper but not for people.

.380s don't deliver enough knockdown power. Your only getting about 250-300 Lbs of energy. Also 9mm tends to over penetrate and the energy is still not high enough. Go with the philosophy Big Bullets leave big holes. Especially when you carry the weapon as a CCW. You want a Round that delivers exceptional knockdown power like the .40/.45. Don't listen to the people that say "With the right shot placement it doesn't matter what round you use." That's total BS. When your adrenaline is pumping and your so nervous you can barely hold your weapon and on top of that someone is trying to kill you or your loved one, good luck with that magical 1 Shot 1 kill. You want a heavier bullet traveling slower. The .45 ACP is the BEST off duty/CCW caliber in my opinion. Especially when loaded with Speer Gold Dot or Black Talon ammunition.

Here are some good choices

Glock 36 slimline .45 ACP / Glock 27 .40 cal

Para Ordinance p10 / p12 .45 ACP

Any Smith and Wesson 5 shot Air Lite revolver .38 special +p / .357 mag (340PD)

Stay Away from Walther PPks / and Ruger LCPs/LCRs

Cant go wrong with any of the small subcompact Glocks. I have a 27 and I love it. Its Small and fits nicely in a inside the waistband holster. I also love the S&W 5 shot Titanium revolvers. I have the 342 PD and it only weighs 10 Oz. I have some Hot .38 special +P ammunition that has the same velocity as a .357 Magnum. I just put it in my pocket when I CCW.

Last edited:
1st off Don't buy anything in .380 or 9mm. Its good for Paper but not for people.

.380s don't deliver enough knockdown power. Your only getting about 250-300 Lbs of energy. Also 9mm tends to over penetrate and the energy is still not high enough. Go with the philosophy Big Bullets leave big holes. Especially when you carry the weapon as a CCW. You want a Round that delivers exceptional knockdown power like the .40/.45. Don't listen to the people that say "With the right shot placement it doesn't matter what round you use." That's total BS. When your adrenaline is pumping and your so nervous you can barely hold your weapon and on top of that someone is trying to kill you or your loved one, good luck with that magical 1 Shot 1 kill. You want a heavier bullet traveling slower. The .45 ACP is the BEST off duty/CCW caliber in my opinion. Especially when loaded with Speer Gold Dot or Black Talon ammunition.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. There is a saying that something is better than nothing and I'd rather have a .380 in my hand than a laptop if someone is going to attack me.

My CCW is a Glock 26 (the smallest Glock currently available) and a Glock 21 (the largest Glock currently available) and based on my size and clothing I wear (not baggy), both are practically unwearable as a CCW. However a nice Ruger LCP fits in my pocket. So in my scenario, I either don't carry my Glock, which does me absolutely no good at all, or carry a Ruger LCP, which is clearly inferrior in accuracy, capacity, stopping power, range, etc. but as mentioned above, I'd rather have that, then nothing at all. I'm accurate enough with it to at least deter or slow down my attacker and for me, that is worth it alone.

I agree. Ideally, you'd go with anything over 9mm but when it comes down to it, 380 is just as likely to put "a hole of a negative nature" in someone as anything larger. Yes, the damage won't be as severe but it doesn't take massive damage to get your point across.

Or realistically, the ability to carry a 380 easily trumps not carrying one at all. There's a reason 380 pistol sales have skyrocketed and 380 ammo has been in such short supply.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. There is a saying that something is better than nothing and I'd rather have a .380 in my hand than a laptop if someone is going to attack me.

My CCW is a Glock 26 (the smallest Glock currently available) and a Glock 21 (the largest Glock currently available) and based on my size and clothing I wear (not baggy), both are practically unwearable as a CCW. However a nice Ruger LCP fits in my pocket. So in my scenario, I either don't carry my Glock, which does me absolutely no good at all, or carry a Ruger LCP, which is clearly inferrior in accuracy, capacity, stopping power, range, etc. but as mentioned above, I'd rather have that, then nothing at all. I'm accurate enough with it to at least deter or slow down my attacker and for me, that is worth it alone.

+1. I did some research into this recently as I had planned on getting a .40 but someone made a good point that it doesn't matter how big the bullet is if you can't hit what you're aiming at with it when it matters. The other thing people mentioned is that if you can't afford the ammo to practice with it you're not going to be stopping anything. For that reason I wouldn't want to reach for a .45 to protect myself, as I've never been able to hit a damn thing with those. :biggrin:

I shot the sub compact Springfield XD9 a few months ago and it was pretty nice. It holds lots of rounds for how tiny it is. 11 shots should be enough to stop anybody. They are inexpensive and easy to shoot as well.

Favorite Pistol first thing you talk about is COST...So get real whats the cheapest POS you think I'll like :smile:

Well obviously Id rather have a .380 or a 9mm then "nothing at all", but thats not the case here. There are plenty of weapons chambered in .40/45 that are the same size as the subcompact glocks. IMO There is no point to get something so small that fits in the palm of your hand that is chambered in something like .25 auto, .32 auto, .380. Not only will you have less rounds (6-7 shots) but your rounds will have no stopping power. People do not go down in one shot. Its not like the movies. I would rather have a slightly bigger weapon with 7 shots of .45 than a tiny pistol with 7 shots of .380. Buy what you want but im not taking any chances and neither should you. My friend carries a full size Smith and Wesson K frame .357 Magnum as his CCW. You can carry a big gun if you buy the right holster and wear appropriate clothing.

PS: You need to look at better holsters like galco IWB and Skyops holsters if you think your glock is "Unwearable." MY glock fits me just fine with the IWB holster.

Favorite Pistol first thing you talk about is COST...So get real whats the cheapest POS you think I'll like :smile:

Cant go wrong with a Glock. Brand new will run about $550.00 bucks give or take. Look at the 27/29/36 models.

Last edited:
Well obviously Id rather have a .380 or a 9mm then "nothing at all", but thats not the case here. There are plenty of weapons chambered in .40/45 that are the same size as the subcompact glocks. IMO There is no point to get something so small that fits in the palm of your hand that is chambered in something like .25 auto, .32 auto, .380. Not only will you have less rounds (6-7 shots) but your rounds will have no stopping power. People do not go down in one shot. Its not like the movies. I would rather have a slightly bigger weapon with 7 shots of .45 than a tiny pistol with 7 shots of .380. Buy what you want but im not taking any chances and neither should you. My friend carries a full size Smith and Wesson K frame .357 Magnum as his CCW. You can carry a big gun if you buy the right holster and wear appropriate clothing.

PS: You need to look at better holsters like galco IWB and Skyops holsters if you think your glock is "Unwearable." MY glock fits me just fine with the IWB holster.

Well I don't think anybody is arguing that a .40 or .45 is a better man stopping round and that having more and/or larger bullets is always better. It would be like saying a shotgun is a much better self defense weapon than a pistol. But I think your mistake is you are assuming that all people are the same size. There is no .40 or .45 cal gun that can even come close to the size of a subcompact .380. And as I mentioned before, there is no way I can even wear a double stack 9mm Glock 26, let alone a .40 or .45. I've tried every holster known to mankind and it's not a holster issue. It's a sheer size/mass ratio issue. You can't make a blanket statement that anybody can wear a Glock without even knowing how tall, heavy or wide I am; that’s overly presumptuous. I am not a very big guy. I can fit into a 26-27” waistband and I don’t care how small you think a gun is, it’s going to stick out from my waist or pocket like I’m trying to smuggle a cinderblock. I know, I’ve tried. Based on my work, lifestyle and personal preferences I can’t or don’t wear baggy clothes and all shirts are always tucked in and finely tailored to fit my profile. There is little margin for concealment. So based on not wearing a 9mm or larger, or at least having a .380, I’ll choose the .380. Would I like to have a .45 instead, sure. Just like I’d like to have a 12 GA shotgun instead. But unfortunately if I can’t reasonably conceal it, it does me no good.

This is what I carry, 44magnum with 2.5 inch barrel. It gets the point across.

Rob

Attachments

• 44mag.jpg
    44mag.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 24
Back