• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Feedback on engine cover with mesh

Besides the question in the FAQ section of this forum, I'd like to get some input from members who have engine covers with a full mesh cover (similar to Cantrell Concepts standard type)

Experience more than normal engine noise and/or temperature ?

I'm skeptical about putting on a mesh type cover because whoever designed it had a reason for insulating it....

Steve,
92 Black/Ivory # 00062

If you have OEM header or after market header with heat shield, you should not have any problems . There are some issues with header without heat shield and the driver send the car into car wash after driving, the hatch shattered.

I have the JDM mesh cover, and I don't have that problem even with aftermarket header w/o shield.

Last edited:
Love mine, a lil extra noise, but not much. Temp wise, I would think it would help, but don't for fact. I love the look of mine:wink:

10208new_X_pics_AUG06_022-med.jpg

No problems there, might be a little bit louder, but not mutch since you have double glazing in the rear window.

SD_1964 said:
Besides the question in the FAQ section of this forum, I'd like to get some input from members who have engine covers with a full mesh cover (similar to Cantrell Concepts standard type)

Experience more than normal engine noise and/or temperature ?

I'm skeptical about putting on a mesh type cover because whoever designed it had a reason for insulating it....

Steve,
92 Black/Ivory # 00062

The type-r has this kind of cover stock.......I have no problems with it........it saves a lot of weight first of all compared to the stock cover. Second it looks nicer to me in my opinion and yes you will hear the motor more but its not loud to the point of annoying you. It actually gives the car more sound characteristic being heard.

Temperature wise the glass will get hotter but that should not be a problem. Otherwise I figure they would have pulled it off the Type-R NSX.

Yes it was designed for sound insulation for the guys who like their cars quiet like a mouse. :biggrin:

Vance has the real one....I have the Cantrell one.

I've been kicking this around too. Seems like all the mesh/custom covers are for non T models (or T without the piggyback roof option).

Has anyone done a functional Targa engine cover, but with mesh/plexiglass for full viewing pleasure when the T top is still overhead?

Targot fits in the trunk. Type R mesh engine cover requires spacers on T cars.

I have a CF one with mesh from I's Impact (Japan). Love the looks and attention the engine deserves. It also hides the uglier parts of the engine bay (thus why its better having one vs simply removing your oem cover). The engine sound is "clearer", not louder :wink: , and other than the fact I get steam buildup on my rear glass now after a wash, and the rear glass getting dirtier after driving in the rain, its been a very good buy for me.

last i 'heard'... is that one big issue is the UV issue from sunlight...

hoses crack etc....

just my .02

x

VBNSX said:

hoses crack etc....

just my .02

x

That is true, but there are some minor protection because the mesh does cast some kind of shadow. I'm sure if you removed the cover completely without tinted window, you will face that problem

If you have OEM header or after market header with heat shield, you should not have any problems . There are some issues with header without heat shield and the driver send the car into car wash after driving, the hatch shattered.

Is this what happened to you Eddie? Vance, can you elaborate on exactly how this happens or how to prevent it? I've just installed the Cantrell Concepts mesh engine cover and this post has me worried.

hoses crack etc....

x

That shouldn't be a problem with the rear glass tinted (like mine).

I have a mesh cover and it saved my bacon. When I blew a coolant hose I saw it spray on the rear glass and was able to pull over immediately before the engine overheated. I never would have known about the hose with the stock cover in place, not until I seized the engine, anyhow...

Yep, almost the same with me except my cover is completely removed. My hose popped off the expansion tank. I had a green gyser spraying against my dual pane rear window. Luckily I noticed it in my rearview mirror. Been nearly a year and there is STILL Green antifreeze gunk all over the place.

Yep, almost the same with me except my cover is completely removed. My hose popped off the expansion tank. I had a green gyser spraying against my dual pane rear window. Luckily I noticed it in my rearview mirror. Been nearly a year and there is STILL Green antifreeze gunk all over the place.

Imagine how bad it could have been with the OEM hatch in place. :eek:

Oh and, WASH YOUR ENGINE BAY!!! :wink:

Imagine how bad it could have been with the OEM hatch in place. :eek:

Oh and, WASH YOUR ENGINE BAY!!! :wink:

Oh man, I probably wouldn't have even noticed for quite a while too!

LoL, I did try to wash it off. That stuff bakes onto hot surfaces pretty baddly. Then all the lil nooks and crannies. I wonder how some owners' uncarriages are so spotless!

LoL, I did try to wash it off. That stuff bakes onto hot surfaces pretty baddly. Then all the lil nooks and crannies. I wonder how some owners' uncarriages are so spotless!

Tell me about it. I didn't get to mine for about two weeks, and man did I regret it. :redface:

Back