• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ferrari 355 vs FI NSX

I must say i have become somewhat intrigued with the thought of a 355 (6 sp GTS) (replace NSX not add to). My '99 CTSC is certainly a great car and my second NSX but like many i have always loved the MR Ferraris. I do drive the NSX at least 4 times a week and the occasional weekend trip (i bought it to drive and is my primary car during 3 seasons).

I think many positives of the 355 are obvious (exterior beauty, cachet, exhaust note etc). I am more curious about some of the possible trade-offs compared to the NSX:

- maintenance cost (major service obviously expensive and well documented)
- daily/weekend usability (obviously trips to the golf course will be limited)
- general handling, that metal 6 speed gate etc
- "social expense", reluctance to drive it as much
- any other areas of concern ...

Can anyone familiar with both comment?

I don't have first hand experience with the 355, but do with the 360. Hear they're much less reliable, but the best way is to hop on over to ferrarichat.com and ask them. If you can stretch for an early 360, I'd recommend that route.

If you can afford to drop the motor to replace the timing belt every X miles (find out the interval), and it makes financial sense for you to pay that much in expenses for the reward you get for driving it/that much, then go for it.

The F355 is one of the best sounding new(er) Ferraris, looks great, and is awesome. The seating position isn't as nice as the NSX but touching the throttle helps cure any thought about anything else.

If you want to drive your exotic a lot, and if the F355 would just sit in the garage because it costs too much to drive it, keep the NSX!

If you don't want to spend the $$$$ on maintenance the 355 is not for you. IMO the 355 is the best sounding Ferrari, but no way could afford the maintenance bill. I have drove the 355 and was not impressed with the feel of the car. The 355 felt "dated" compared to my '99 NSX, especially the interior. The F1 shift on the 355 is slow, and the gated shifter takes a while to get use to. My friend that owns the 355 is scared every time he takes it out the check engine light will go off. The exhaust in the 355 needs alot of attention (headers), and also the valve guides. If you can afford a 360 you will have less headaches. There are huge differences between the 355, 360, and the 430. All of which you will have to keep up with routine maintenance. But, in the end my dream is to own a Ferrari some day (Scuderia 16M):biggrin: You cannot fall in love with the sound.

I think you will be woefully unimpressed with the power of a 355 vs a boosted 99 nsx.

Docjohn is right. Your FI NSX will make the 355 seem boring. Although the 355's sound incredible and with a Tubi, one of the best sounds...

Steve,

One of the biggest reasons not to go 355 is STMPO doesnt make any parts for it yet....:smile:

Having helped you with your purchase and driving that NSX... I think I can direct you towards what the "final touches" should be for you to keep the car.

Give me a buzz when you find the time...

Regards

I think the F355's fatal flaw is the maintenance cost. Parts and labors are astronomical. However, the sound and tactile experience are the biggest selling point. I agree that the gated shifter is just hilarious. No modern car should have that gate since only sloppy ancient tranny which does not know where it is going needs it. If that is for nostalgia, so be it. The F355 is SO cheap nowadays that you can buy a very decent one for $40k.
Steve

Back