• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ferrari Dino under development

I think that's a very good idea for Ferrari as long as they're very careful not to alienate their current clientele by pricing too low and bringing in riff-raff like Mercedes and Porsche have done in the last 10 years.

A $125-$150K car to lure people away from the 911TT, Vantage/DB9, M6 or MBZ might work well. That's a huge market segment.

Ferrari better figure something out because the F430 is still scheduled to be banned in the US after 2006 due to the bumper regulations if I'm not mistaken.

I was under the impression the F430 got an exemption for that law until they design a 430 successor?

A Dino could be cool.

rickysals said:
I was under the impression the F430 got an exemption for that law until they design a 430 successor?

A Dino could be cool.

AFAIK the US exemption is a 3-year one. I haven't read about any extensions for Ferrari...I'd be interested to know if any were granted.

Same as the Lotus Elise:

From Wikipedia:

The 2005 Lotus Elise was the first to be sold commercially in the United States, in the summer of 2004. Approval for the Elise, however, required intervention by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) who provided a three-year exemption for the car, as it had failed to meet US bumper regulations. The next-generation Elise, due in 2007, will be required to comply with the rules unless Lotus gets an exemption extension, like it did on multiple occasions with its previous USA distributed car, the Esprit.

niche...

Price points...

Group_A:
- Ferrari F430: $168,005-$192,484
- Lamborghini Gallardo: $175,000-$195,000
- Aston Martin DB9: $164,500 - $172,350
- Porsche GT2: $185,000
- Mercedes Benz AMG_SL65: $186,000
- Bentley Continental_GT: $164,990
- Ford GT: $149,995

Group_B:
- Ferrari Dino: (?)
- Maserati Gran Sport: $98,872 - $108,760
- Aston Martin V8_Vantage: $110,000
- Porsche Turbo: $122,900
- Mercedes Benz SL: $94,800 - $132,000
- BMW M6: $96,100
- Cadillac XLR-V: $97,460
- Dodge Viper: $81,895 - $83,145+

Other forthcoming models in the works...
- Lotus ESPRIT
- Audi R8
- Lexus LF-A
- Nissan/Infiniti GTR

Re: niche...

Osiris_x11 said:
Price points...

Group_A:
- Ferrari F430: $168,005-$192,484
- Lamborghini Gallardo: $175,000-$195,000
- Aston Martin DB9: $164,500 - $172,350
- Porsche GT2: $185,000
- Mercedes Benz AMG_SL65: $186,000
- Bentley Continental_GT: $164,990
- Ford GT: $149,995

Group_B:
- Ferrari Dino: (?)
- Maserati Gran Sport: $98,872 - $108,760
- Aston Martin V8_Vantage: $110,000
- Porsche Turbo: $122,900
- Mercedes Benz SL: $94,800 - $132,000
- BMW M6: $96,100
- Cadillac XLR-V: $97,460
- Dodge Viper: $81,895 - $83,145+

Other forthcoming models in the works...
- Lotus ESPRIT
- Audi R8
- Lexus LF-A
- Nissan/Infiniti GTR

At $125-150K Ferrari would be splitting groups A & B...I think if any brand can do it Ferrari can. It's the most powerful car brand in the world and they can create any price point they want, IMO.

If done right it could be a huge profit maker for them. Keep them limited production (2500/year or so), make it a quality build, lots of features, keep it fast, etc.

The Dino would be very cool but then you would have the hardcore F guys hating everyone saying that it's the bottom of the barrel Ferrari so it's not a true Ferrari or that all these new owners are not part of their circle because of what a true F car stands for in their mind. Build it and buck the status quo!:tongue:

Wheelman said:
The Dino would be very cool but then you would have the hardcore F guys hating everyone saying that it's the bottom of the barrel Ferrari so it's not a true Ferrari or that all these new owners are not part of their circle because of what a true F car stands for in their mind. Build it and buck the status quo!:tongue:

That's exactly what I was referring to. If Ferrari does it they can't let it become their Porsche Boxter/(dare I say--Cayman?!). They need to be careful and keep the Ferrari hard core at peace and keep the car elevated just enough to avoid the riff-raff. I think a base price of about $125K should do it, maxing out at, say, $140-150K with the options. That's $50K less than the F430.

It's gotta be a real car that performs though. Looks like they're considering a V-8--possibly a de-tuned F430 engine? That's perfect. They can play with the HP from 380-480.

Come to think of it, with a 2009 release date why not concentrate on getting it to the F430 performance level? By then the F430 successor should be close and will be well over 500HP. Keep the 480HP F430 engine in the Dino and have your newly configured >4.3L engine in the successor. It would be like keeping the 430 in production while continuing to advance! :biggrin:

With Ferrari selling out of every 430 they make and years worth of waiting lists, why come out with a low-end model at all. I think it makes the ferrari brand worse.

I say don't do it. If they need more money just make more 430's.

If they have demand, why not meet supply?

A Ferrari Dino will sell. Ferrari doesn't have a problem moving cars now, and won't have a problem moving this one. I don't believe a sub-F430 Ferrari would hurt the image or make it tougher to sell their highend cars.

Who knows, that's my $0.02

I think it is a wonderful idea. The MSRP of a "baby" Ferrari is up to 220 grand, and dealer market up often push it over 300 grand.

A baby Ferrari in the range of 120 grand performing like a 997 is a great idea.

But, at that price range, the car probably would not out perform the NSX.

I have never seen a single Ferrari sold at MSRP, ever. Unless it was used, then you might get it for new MSRP. That's my experience.

blavenia said:
I have never seen a single Ferrari sold at MSRP, ever. Unless it was used, then you might get it for new MSRP. That's my experience.

That's because the ones sold at MSRP are not advertised. Anyone who waited on a list and bought a 360 or a 430 new from a dealer payed MSRP. ALL the marked up ones are second hand.

nicholas421 said:
That's because the ones sold at MSRP are not advertised. Anyone who waited on a list and bought a 360 or a 430 new from a dealer payed MSRP. ALL the marked up ones are second hand.

That is correct. I have also heard that you lose good standing with Ferrari if you flip their car too soon... so you won't be on the list for the next model anymore.

Back