• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Few questions from a potential buyer

I have decided I am going to buy an NSX, and have such began my search. Today I drove a '96 with 65K miles, one owner car. The car drove well and I really enjoy the out-front feeling and driver view one has with this car.
My questions -
To me the clutch seemed odd, as it disengaged and reengaged right at the begining of the pedal. It seemed as though if I thought about touching the clutch pedal, the clutch engaged (or disengaged, whichever it is). Is this normal? Can it be adjusted? Is this a sign of a clutch at the end of it's life? How long should the clutch last? What is the cost to replace the clutch if needed?
Also, the car has not had the timing belt replaced. Should this be a concern? How much to replace?

Thanks for the help.

So if you just thought about touching the pedal it engaged?? Its a telepathic clutch. :tongue: jk. Do you mean it was releasing high?

It may need a new clutch. You might see if its slipping. (Do a search on how to do this) The cost will be about 2k to replace.

Its definitely past the age recommendation on timing belt. That will prob cost you at least 1.5k to do.

If all the maintenance was not done you may want to pass or adjust your offering price accordingly.

Get a Pre Purchase Inspection at a dealer if you get serious and try to have another Prime member check it out too. good luck

NSX clutches usually actuate WAY high in the peal movement. My old one did at >50% life, and my new one at <200 miles does the same thing. If it does not smell like burning, chatter at idle a lot or slip, then I would not worry about it.

The timing belt and water pump are WAY past due. Get it done ASAP. $1.5K sounds about right.

Why is it an issue to change the water pump on the NSX? Does not water pump fail in the 100K-150K range or earlier?

I'm only asking because in other Hondas the water pump does not need replacement till 150K or higher.

How do you tell if an NSX clutch is going?

How do you tell if an NSX clutch is going?

If it slips?

Basically the same way you would on any other car...try power shifting it into 2nd and see if it grips or slips, see if it only engages at the very top, etc etc. I don't think there's any trick to an nsx clutch...the stock oem units are pretty stout and should last 60-70k no problem with "normal" driving...unfortunately not many people practice "normal" driving.

I think it is also recommened based on experiance here on Prime that you also replace the harmonic balancer when doing the timing belt change......Steve

Recently someone posted their ability to prolong the life of their clutch through proper use...150k Miles!?!
Anyone got any thoughts on "Proper use of your clutch"?

Anyone got any thoughts on "Proper use of your clutch"?

I don't know the textbook definition, but I can tell you that I have 64,6xx miles on my original clutch and it still bites hard. Firstly, I try to never ride the clutch. when I upshift I let it out quickly and feel it engage hard, and when I downshift I always rev match. I've put over 500,000 miles on manual transmissions and I've never had to replace one clutch. :wink: It also helps that I don't do burnouts or dump the clutch at high rpms.

I have always purchased Hondas (Volvo came with the wife). My last manual transmission Honda was a 1987 CRX Si. I got 110,000 miles out of the original clutch on the CRX. At the time, I was living in San Francisco with all the hills. The CRX is a lighter car, but if I also drove the CRX harder than my NSX. With age, I don't need to get to everywhere fast. Hopefully, I can get at least 75,000 mile out of my original clutch. Good thread regarding what other things should be replace when replacing the timing belt.

Chaffeer, your profile doesn't say where you are located, but if you find a car to buy in the Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri area, I could check it out for you. I'm on my 3rd NSX.

All - Thanks for the shared information. Timing belt clearly needs replaced and I need to take another test drive to verify the clutch is not slipping. Based on search results and investigation, it looks like NSX clutch engagement is typically at the tip of the pedal.

I am located in the Indianapolis, IN area.

All - Thanks for the shared information. Timing belt clearly needs replaced and I need to take another test drive to verify the clutch is not slipping. Based on search results and investigation, it looks like NSX clutch engagement is typically at the tip of the pedal.

I am located in the Indianapolis, IN area.

Yeah, when I first test drove my car back in '05, I had the same "this can't be right" feeling. Well, a quick shift into 2nd and instead of the tires grabbing, the clutch slipped a little. I daily drove it for almost a year and the clutch survived right up till I had it replaced about a month ago. (it was getting worse, but I could still drive the car). The new OEM clutch still engages rather high...but not at the very very top like the old one.

Clutches will run you ~$1500 (depending on what you get, OEM or one of the aftermarket ones) and then you probably want to have someone install it in...(which isn't cheap either).

So take that into consideration...but the cool thing is that you can put NSX-R gears ~$900 and an NSR-R rear end ~$900 while you're in there and save some $$ on labor.
(botom line, if you have a wife, start practicing hiding receipts now) :smile:

OK - let me get this straight...the clutch can be done for about $1500, but it will probably cost me $3500 because I love to pour money in cars and buy things for them I truely do not need. Man, my wife is going to love this car!!

"OK - let me get this straight...the clutch can be done for about $1500, but it will probably cost me $3500 because I love to pour money in cars and buy things for them I truely do not need. Man, my wife is going to love this car!!"

Or you could wait to find a car that needs nothing with the mods you like.
You can pay now, or pay later. :biggrin:

Local dealership quoted $2500 to do the clutch including parts. Local mechanic, the only one I trust in Cincinnati, said bring him my clutch of choice, $400, his beer of choice and he'd do it. Sounds good to me as I will be consuming part of his beer while watching.

I don't need a clutch I was just checking on pricing. When I do this I will most likely drop the engine and put on headers, timing belt, water pump, steel oil pump gears, an enlarged oil pan and an accusump. The install will obviously go up in price. Beer consumption too.

I'm thinking more about hanging onto this car a bit longer. I'll know by the end of the summer of it's a keeper or not.

Back