• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fiat 500 Abarth? Specs look nice

Anyone have any experience with the European version of this car?

It's supposed to be arriving on shore next year. I've seen a few of the 500 sports around, and they look...interesting, but the Abarth model, I actually like the way it looks. If the price is right...

Supposed to compete with the Mini JCW?

Specs that I'm seeing:

-I4 1.4l Turbo
-5 spd manual
-HP: 155 to 170, no specs yet, but the versions out across the pond are pumping between 155 and 200HP depending on the variant.
-Curb weight: 930 Kg = 2055 lbs, lets see how much pork the DOT makes them add on before it's legal for the US market. The non-sport model that hit our shores is 2350.

I'm curious how they will handle, might make a fun autox car if the price is right.

abarth-style.jpg

I fell in love with these little cars when I saw them used on the ROC :biggrin:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UpAFi9nIJVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I rented one (a standard 500) in France a couple of years ago.... great fun to drive, really liked it!

The pic you posted is the Assetto Corse version, its a track car and not like what we're going to get. See pic below for what the current Euro SS version looks like (and what ours should look like).

Rumor is 175 HP and maybe a 6 speed manual. Official announcement is coming at the LA Auto Show in November and it'll be for sale early 2012.

fiat_500_abarth_ss.jpg

I have been seeing prototypes running around the local Auburn Hills, Michigan area (Chrysler HQ's city). Fat tires, true dual exhausts, quite aggressively cute looking. Could be fun!!

My wife and I went to the dealership yesterday, looking for a car for me; but by the end of the night I was iffy on the car and she was seriously looking to buy. If you want an attention-getting car, you’d better get one while they’re still relatively rare; soon they’ll be everywhere.
I still wouldn’t mind having the 170hp Abarth. Guy at the dealership told me that model was coming out next February, and the waiting line of buyers that had put down 1K deposits was already 14 deep.
The standard Pop model was priced $17,944, non-negotiable, and for the Abarth model, who knows; right now it looks like somewhere north of 30K.
When it comes to the 500, girls not dudes will be the ones noticing. Think of the Fiat as the polar opposite of the NSX.

My wife and I went to the dealership yesterday, looking for a car for me; but by the end of the night I was iffy on the car and she was seriously looking to buy. If you want an attention-getting car, you’d better get one while they’re still relatively rare; soon they’ll be everywhere.
I still wouldn’t mind having the 170hp Abarth. Guy at the dealership told me that model was coming out next February, and the waiting line of buyers that had put down 1K deposits was already 14 deep.
The standard Pop model was priced $17,944, non-negotiable, and for the Abarth model, who knows; right now it looks like somewhere north of 30K.
When it comes to the 500, girls not dudes will be the ones noticing. Think of the Fiat as the polar opposite of the NSX.

Can't see how they could price it that high - they are competing directly with the Mini coupe lineup and the Abarth model would go head to head with the Cooper S, which starts at 23,700 and can be optioned upto 35k :eek: I'm guessing the Abarth will be no more than 23k base. Their pricing strategy has been to undercut the Cooper thus far, I wouldn't think that would change in the near future.

Can't see how they could price it that high - they are competing directly with the Mini coupe lineup and the Abarth model would go head to head with the Cooper S, which starts at 23,700 and can be optioned upto 35k :eek: I'm guessing the Abarth will be no more than 23k base. Their pricing strategy has been to undercut the Cooper thus far, I wouldn't think that would change in the near future.

Yeah, don't take the 30K thing to heart. I couldn't find any official pricing, just anecdotal. I hope you're right, because for 30+K I'd rather have another NSX.

That Abarth version is very cool. The pricing should be relatively easy to ballpark by comparing price increases in other countries and using that avg applied to the base car in the US.

I don't care how it drives. I don't want to have to Limo tint the windows in case someone I know sees me in the little bastard:eek:

what is it about this small car that is going to attract mini and for that matter suzuki/kia buyers:confused:

Back