• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

FIC or AEM EMS?

I was reading some of the forums and find that a few people are or have had issues with FIC. Is the AEM EMS a better system? Is the AEM EMS not used as often and therefore less issues reported? I'm going with the AP-X with the EMS. Are there specific "must have" sensors with the system?
Thanks

I was reading some of the forums and find that a few people are or have had issues with FIC. Is the AEM EMS a better system? Is the AEM EMS not used as often and therefore less issues reported? I'm going with the AP-X with the EMS. Are there specific "must have" sensors with the system?
Thanks

The two are very different products.

Simply put, the F/IC allows a simple single layer of fuel injector control (subtraction or addition of the factory injector pulse) and ignition control (allowing ignition timing to be retarded to a point). It relies on the factory ECU for everything else. This solution works well for supercharger applications that are linear and predictable in boost response.

The EMS allows much more robust engine control, allowing the tuner to have complete control over the engine - including fuel trims and boost control that are ideal for dynamic turbocharged engines.

For your application, we would recommend the EMS over F/IC.

Please note the sale in the vendor section.

regards,
-- Chris

Aem ems all the way, reasons most people goes with fic back then cause its a cheapest safe option for fi or they don't have much option with obdII dbw for nsx ( hks fcon is only real option for obdII if u ask me but not lot real tuner for it available). Fic still a biggy back, not full stand alone ecu

I've had AP-X @7.5psi for 2 years. My FIC went bad and it was a bitch to diagnose. AEM replaced it for free even though it was out of warranty. The replaced the circuit board due to a bad internal MAP sensor......or such.

Aside from that, my car runs, starts and drives nearly exactly like stock. It starts without a hiccup cold or hot. My AFR's are stable.

It is all about tuning. EMS are quite hard to tune and take, from what I understand, a lot more knowledge and time. They cost 3x more.
On the other hand I have not heard of an EMS going kaput and it allows for vastly superior control.

Make sure you are prepared to budget for an aftermarket clutch, check your spool valves for any weeping and definitely go with a Walbro 255 or similar.
The stock fuel pump will get weaker with age and can mess your AFR's up at WOT.

What gauges do you have to monitor your turbo?
Have the SOS 350 clutch and Walbro 255.

I've had AP-X @7.5psi for 2 years. My FIC went bad and it was a bitch to diagnose. AEM replaced it for free even though it was out of warranty. The replaced the circuit board due to a bad internal MAP sensor......or such.

Aside from that, my car runs, starts and drives nearly exactly like stock. It starts without a hiccup cold or hot. My AFR's are stable.

It is all about tuning. EMS are quite hard to tune and take, from what I understand, a lot more knowledge and time. They cost 3x more.
On the other hand I have not heard of an EMS going kaput and it allows for vastly superior control.

Make sure you are prepared to budget for an aftermarket clutch, check your spool valves for any weeping and definitely go with a Walbro 255 or similar.
The stock fuel pump will get weaker with age and can mess your AFR's up at WOT.

Last edited:
I am going to give the FIC a try. I own a 3.2 OBD2 and am going to run a custom exhaust were I can swap Cats in for emissions. Talking to a couple of members here in Colorado they think I should pass emissions with my setup. My understanding is with EMS is that it will not be possible to pass emissions.

Yoojeankim, a former local member used the FIC with his '91. He sold the car a few months after he installed the kit, but I don't think he had any problems. But, he was only pushing 3-4lbs of boost.

Another member in Colorado Springs tried the FIC (OBD1) and ran into problems due to our high altitude. He had to push more than 10LBS of boost to get to the 400hp mark. I think the FIC is good until 10LBS of boost. 9LBS of boost will be my limit, I do not want to a re-build....yet. I am wondering what HP my 3.2 motor will hit at 9LBS of boost?

There are only 2 tuners here in Colorado that feel comfortable tuning the FIC. I am not sure whether they feel the same about a OBD1 NSX.

I am going to run AEM Tru boost for boost control and AEM UEGO for A/F monitoring.

Last edited:
I have a 92' and live in Denver
The F/IC has gotten a bad rap. I have one in my boosted ODB2 TRD daily driver for the last 60k+ miles. The first 3k miles needed fine tuning since occassionally the CEL would come on but once the STFT and the LTFT settled down it's been solid ever since. Keeping the factory ECU in the loop has several advantages as well.

Here's the problem you and I have. We have OBD1. There's no way for us to read the STFT and the LTFT so we can make intelligent adjustments with the F/IC efficiently. With enough time tuning on early NSXs is very achievable but it takes time.

If you plan to go to a tuner and prescribe by a "set-it-and-forget-it" mentality with your tune then you're better off spending 3-4x more and get an EMS imho.

Please keep in mind you'll have added expenses as well such as the UEGO, gauges, etc...

Last edited:
I'm going with the EMS and looking at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZl04RDN58&feature=relmfu
Thoughts
Also spoke to a tuner and he said using the EMS would be possible to pass emissions.

The F/IC has gotten a bad rap. I have one in my boosted ODB2 TRD daily driver for the last 60k+ miles. The first 3k miles needed fine tuning since occassionally the CEL would come on but once the STFT and the LTFT settled down it's been solid ever since. Keeping the factory ECU in the loop has several advantages as well.

Here's the problem you and I have. We have OBD1. There's no way for us to read the STFT and the LTFT so we can make intelligent adjustments with the F/IC efficiently. With enough time tuning on early NSXs is very achievable but it takes time.

If you plan to go to a tuner and prescribe by a "set-it-and-forget-it" mentality with your tune then you're better off spending 3-4x more and get an EMS imho.

Please keep in mind you'll have added expenses as well such as the UEGO, gauges, etc...

Last edited:
I'm going with the EMS and looking at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZl04RDN58&feature=relmfu
Thoughts
Also spoke to a tuner and he said using the EMS would be possible to pass emissions.
I wonder what the lag is on those and if they work with Android...

Yes, for OBD1 you should be able to pass the computer test (because there is none) as long as your tailpipe emissions are clean. This is for CA at least. I don't know the particulars to how emissions testing is done in CO.

I was told EMS with obd2 would not pass emissions.

AEM EMS won't pass the ecu check for obd2. OBD1 ecu's dont have any check so EMS is fine for those cars. Inspections wouldn't keep me from using a better engine management though. There are ways around or worst case switch the ECU to stock one day a year with injectors etc.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which year you have, however, we offer stand alone engine management for OBD1 1991-94 and OBD2 1995-2005 NSX. We have both in numerous NSX making anywhere from factory to 800+ whp reliably.

regards,
-- Chris

Back