• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

FIC vs Stand Alone EMS

Guys,

just installed the CTSC with Walbro pump and 550cc injectors, yet already FIC in. We have only one tuning place in NW Russia, in Moscow. Guys are advicing that better to use stand alone EMS instead of FIC, the main reasons they advice are:

1. FIC does not allow to change the mapping = only to cheat Honda EMS
2. The feed back of stand alone EMS is significantly better
3. The safety for the cars engine is better with Stand Alone
4. More Easy to tune it.

I will appreciate your comments on this matter.

From my understanding, the NA1 cars like yours are better off with the standalone EMS. Later cars (NA2) FIC.

Someone else, will chime in to the particulars of why.

The FIC can be made to run on early cars, although it was designed by AEM for OBD2 vehicles; I would recommend the AEM EMS over the FIC, if you're highly modified, and cost is not the primary concern; you can dial in your setup so much better, assuming you have a competent tuner.

thanks. the cost is really not a big matter among amount already in ;-)

I just thinking for the performance/safety-for-engine issue + maintenance.

I agree with Scorp965 if money is no concern it's a no-brainer to get the AEM EMS for an OBD-1 NSX. The EMS offers more features as well. I have tuned with AEM FIC on an OBD-1 NSX with no problems but if I had to choose I would go with the EMS. If you had an OBD-2 car than going with the AEM FIC is the best option for you.

I agree with Scorp965 if money is no concern it's a no-brainer to get the AEM EMS for an OBD-1 NSX. The EMS offers more features as well. I have tuned with AEM FIC on an OBD-1 NSX with no problems but if I had to choose I would go with the EMS. If you had an OBD-2 car than going with the AEM FIC is the best option for you.

Thanks.
OBD-1; OBD-2 could you please explain what's that?
Is that NA-1/2? I have NA-1 92' 3,0 MT

Yankee, I am using the FIC on my OBd-1 nsx. Wil, and Shad of Driving Ambitions had great succes with the FIC on OBD-1 cars. From what both Tuners had said this is good up until 500 hp. Frank

From what both Tuners had said this is good up until 500 hp. Frank

I am not sure how they can make such an arbitrary statement, it's not a matter of total power, it's a matter of tuning flexibility; you can dial your setup in better with the AEM EMS, whether your car is making 300hp, or 1000hp.

The AEM EMS will provide your tuner with the ability to produce more power with the same hardware, and your tuner is more comfortable tuning your car with it; it seems like a straight forward decision
dunno.gif

I am not sure how they can make such an arbitrary statement, it's not a matter of total power, it's a matter of tuning flexibility; you can dial your setup in better with the AEM EMS, whether your car is making 300hp, or 1000hp.

The AEM EMS will provide your tuner with the ability to produce more power with the same hardware, and your tuner is more comfortable tuning your car with it; it seems like a straight forward decision
dunno.gif

In a way it is a matter of total power when you start reaching power levels that require larger injectors out of the FIC's adjustable pulse width range of +/- 100%. This is why the EMS is far superior for higher HP cars.

having just debated between these 2 for my turbo project, i would say go with the ems. You can pick up a used one on here for around $900-$1000. with fic you would have to buy a boost controller which would put it around $800 anyway. The ems is a complete system while fic is just a piggyback. yea itll tune it but like scorp said, the ems gives you so much more control and measures so much more!

thanks, so I assume stand alone EMS is much better for forced cars anyway.

Look, tuners I'm discussing with, offers me Pro EFI EMS for us$ 3,5 Kilo.
will appreciate your comments. Both for the price and quality.

AEM's products for the NSX have proven themselves time and time again, so I have a hard time understanding why anyone would use anything else. The online support is phenominal; from the AEM Forums, to the support that we are lucky to have right here on NSXPrime.

I personally recommend the AEM EMS 30-1042 for the 91-94 NSX. Having full adjustability in a Plug and Play system is the best thing going! You can install this product in under an hour and have the car up and running shortly thereafter. Can any other Standalone system do that for the Acura NSX?

The AEM F/IC is a great product for the OBD2(95-05) cars, however, I prefer to use the best product available for the application, and in this case, that product is the AEM EMS.

So if i was going for a better setup for tunning i would have to go FIC with a Wideband UEGO for an OBD2 vehical?

So if i was going for a better setup for tunning i would have to go FIC with a Wideband UEGO for an OBD2 vehical?

Yes, because AEM does not offer any other tuning solution for the OBD2 NSX, and the F/IC is the best solution out there for the cost, simplicity, and driveability. We have tuned ~20 NSX's with the AEM F/IC and all of them have worked out great!

Back