• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally got my wheels

After 3 months of waiting and countless problems with shipping and wrong sizes I can finally post a pic of my new wheels. I'm sure you'll agree that they are a definite improvement over my original wheels.

View

View

Thanks Todd,
Good to see you lowered yours finally. It looks great. I never thought you, of all people, would ever go through with it.

I'm glad to hear you'll finally get some sleep now that I've gotten rid of those "other" wheels. I know I will.
Now go to bed.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Chris W:
After 3 months of waiting and countless problems with shipping and wrong sizes I can finally post a pic of my new wheels. I'm sure you'll agree that they are a definite improvement over my original wheels.
Beatiful wheels, what are they? What size? What tires?
View

View

They are the 5 Zigen Copse 5ZR's. 17 x 7.5 fronts and 18 x 10 rears. Pirelli P7000 Supersports. 215/40-17 fronts and 255/35-18 rears. For a 10 inch wide wheel the 255's are a little stretched in the rear. They're not as squared up as the fronts. My tires are brand new so I wanted to see how it looked first before I order new ones. I will probably end up getting 275/35-18's in the near future.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Looking good Chris. Doesn't another member have the same wheel? How much did the rims cost you? Out here I can get the 17's for about $150, and I'm assuming the 18's would run around $200 or so. Are the prices similar?

So what will you do with your old rims? FYI...another NSX owner out here bought similar rims like your old ones, but in stock size. Imagine how that would look!!

Take it easy, and keep us posted of new stuff!

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY
1BADRX7

That other member is me. =)

nsx_zr06.jpg

Veleno,
That price on the 17 is pretty good, but (I'm sure Chris would agree with me on this) that price on the 18 is a "wee" bit off. The 18s we got were 2 piece wheels. I heard they're coming out with a 1 piece 18 inch wheel at some point, but I haven't seen it yet. And I imagine, it'll probably be some 18x7 or 18x7.5 for fwd Hondas and such. (Hmmm, maybe I can put some on my soon to be bought Odyssey.....)

------------------
tams1593.JPG

1995 NSX-T
1997 Integra GS-R 4-dr
1999 3.2TL

[This message has been edited by FuryNSX (edited 02 March 2001).]

there ya go, the other member who has the rims! So does that mean that both of you have the same size rims, tires, and offset?

Chris has 255s. I think he'll go to 275s after he burns out his current set. I have 265s in the rear. Looks like his fronts are the same size. I'm assuming offset is the same.

[This message has been edited by FuryNSX (edited 02 March 2001).]

FuryNSX, I'm in So. Cal. also... Where did you get your wheels?

You said the rear are two piece, what about the front?

If you dont mind, what did you pay for the wheels F&R? I would like to look into a set for my NSX I think they're one of the nicest looking wheels I've seen on this car.

Also what offset did you go with? Mine is a '91 and will be lowered about an inch when my Bilstiens arrive.

I assume no problem with rubbing on a lowered car? Even with those monster rubbers?

[This message has been edited by Craig (edited 03 March 2001).]

FuryNSX is the one who created this epidemic. If it weren't for him getting them first I never would have gotten into this mess.
wink.gif
Did you notice any difference between his and mine, besides the Targa top? Can you say Eibach springs? Sorry FuryNSX. I had to throw that in there.

Craig,
The offsets for these wheels are 35mm for the fronts and 39mm for the rears.(right off the side of the box they came in). We both purchased them through Discount Tire. As for rubbing. No Problems Mon'. I've got Eibachs and no issues whatsoever. (I kept my Bilsteins on the upper spring perch setting in the rear).

The only obstacle you will come across is the fact that the fronts are a 1-piece wheel and the outer lip is machined with a clear coating. We had to have the front lips polished to match the rears. This removed the clearcoating and allowed them to shine like the rears.(The rear lips are pre-polished before the wheel is assembled).

Veleno,
I still have my old wheels. I can't imagine what the other individual's NSX would look like with wheels, like my old ones, in a stock size? In the words of another NSX Prime member, "My gosh".

[This message has been edited by Chris W (edited 07 March 2001).]

Chris W,

Don't worry bro'. As soon as Dali Racing gets their shop in San Diego set for install work, BAMMM!!!, I'm there. Then you can't get on me anymore. It'll be my turn to return the favor. =)

------------------
tams1593.JPG

1995 NSX-T
1997 Integra GS-R 4-dr
1999 3.2TL

Hey Guys
Love the wheels. I actually ordered them (not from discount tire) and then found out the last second that the lips were diff. the rears would have been 9.5 but i really wanted 10's. Chris did discount tire take care of the polishing for you or did you send it out on your own?
thanks
Paul M
95 blk/blk rm intake rsr exhaust wingwest front + sides dali one scoop coming and wheels when i can find them

Paul,
Discount Tire was not able to provide this service to me but they referred me to a polishing company in town to do the work. One company I went to said they couldn't do it without damaging the silver painted center. (He must not have needed the business). A good polisher can mask off the line between the lip and the center hub without a problem. The fronts look as good as the rears now. You never would have guessed they were different from the start. I hope all turns out well.

Enjoy.

Thanks Chris
Would you happen to have a phone number or a contact from the place you ordered from. I'm looking to order a set. I just cant decide if i should get those or the work anehlos from rm racing.Any opinions on either? I was a little worried about sending the fronts out to be polished.
Thanks again for the help!
Paul M

Chris,
Your wheels look very similar to the Simmons 3 piece. I am running 235-40-17 fronts and 285-30-18 in the rear. The rear circumference is identical to the stock tire. No loss of acceleration. I searched for 4 months for new wheels, I thought I had seen them all, but I have not heard of yours and did not see them listed at Discount Tire. They actually look identical to another style Work wheel which I could never find anybody to try to obtain for me. Anyway I think you made a good choice.
Ken

Thanks Ken,

I haven't seen the Simmons or Work style that is similar to my 5Zigens you mention. Discount Tire doesn't advertise 5Zigen at all. I spent a long time working with my local Discount Tire looking for this stlye of wheel and stumbled across them in Sports Compact Car magazine. The distributor is located in California and imports them from Japan. The wheels are assembled by Ray's Engineering; same company that puts together the Volk line of wheels. Even the riveting has "RAYS" stamped on it just like Volk wheels with the "RAYS" blue valve stem cover. I was impressed. This ensured me that I was getting a quality wheel.
Thanks for the compliment.

I just went to look at the shipping label on the boxes and you are correct. They WERE sent to AKT from Japan but the address listed is Gardena, CA; not Torrance. That's good info though for those who are interested in 5Zigen or other Japanese made wheels. Discount will probably have the best prices on them aside from all the import performance shops in your area. I would check with them first. They also had pretty good prices for Racing Hart (which I originally considered but didn't want to wait 3-4 months to get.)

The rear wheels were on backorder at the time of purchase but AKT was able to take a rear set of WHITE 5Zigens and have them sent out to be disassembled and powdercoated silver to match the fronts. Otherwise they would have taken a couple of months to get just like your Heidfelds. You can't even tell they were white before. Even the 5ZR logo that is embossed into one of the spokes was masked off perfectly in order to retain the factory look of the wheel.

I am very happy with the results. When people walk up to the car they tend to gravitate straight towards the wheels before they look at the rest of the car.

Back