• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Financial Blogs... what do you guys read?

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
I'm starting to look into diversifying the pennies I have. Anyone care to share any good financial related blogs you read?

Hoping to further learn about anything from Stock Market, Emerging Markets/Businesses, Angels... since I don't have much exposure to these sectors in my day-to-day outside of WSJ.

Also interested in reading other people's thoughts on Real Estate, International Businesses (as relates to investing), Retirement funds as well if you care to mention any blogs that are particularly read worthy.

I'm starting to look into diversifying the pennies I have. Anyone care to share any good financial related blogs you read?

Hoping to further learn about anything from Stock Market, Emerging Markets/Businesses, Angels... since I don't have much exposure to these sectors in my day-to-day outside of WSJ.

Also interested in reading other people's thoughts on Real Estate, International Businesses (as relates to investing), Retirement funds as well if you care to mention any blogs that are particularly read worthy.

John Mauldin has a good free newsletter that a layman can derive value from. The best ones are not free, specific to a niche section of an asset class, and use terminology etc. that will be meaningless to someone just starting out.

My advice is start reading a lot of books. Most financial books have 2-3 out of 10 chapters that are any good but you will start to get an idea as to the scope of what's going on around you.

Now, with Pennies you have to stay on top of them, it is a "full time job". There is a lot of money to be made in pennies and a lot of money to be lost.

I read, read, read. All the free ones......when I see some information i find interesting, I pull the financials on the company.....pour over their paperwork. Then I come up with the growth I'm looking for, get in and get out without trying to get too greedy.

There are very few pennies that I get into for "the long haul" but every now and again one will catch my eye that I think has potential. Of course, lightning is not going to strike very often....maybe only once in a lifetime. However, I'm prepared for that (it only happening once in a lifetime and the others petering out).

With "traditional stocks" (established companies) it is much easier to "invest and forget" for long haul investing. However, pennies require a lot of work especially before investing and during the investment period (which might be a few hours or a few days unless you've come across one that you think has the potential to explode).

Remember, by the time you read or hear anything it is already reflected in the stock price.

I'd suggest that you not only read everything you can about stock/business trends (all the free blogs, WSJ, Barron's, pay blogs, etc that you can stomach) and then simulate investing in pennies with "$10,000" for a few weeks to see how you do. Remember, due diligence on a company is key and make sure to look at their financial records yourself.

I'd also only invest money into pennies that you are prepared to lose. I have made "tons" of money in pennies but I have also lost tons (I've made more than I've lost). Pennies are very volatile, which means for big gains and big losses in a short period of time. The nice thing is, that when I grown my initial investments 100% I returned my initial to my account. Everything I've done in pennies in the last 4 years has been above that initial level!

Anyway, when you are ready, I'd suggest using Choice Trade for pennies. $5 trades and no surcharge for pennies.

DISCLAIMER
This is just the way I do things. I'm not a stock broker or a financial professional. My only qualifications are my MBA (reading financial statements) and my limited (but decently successful) experience in trading penny (5+ years) and traditional stocks (12+ years). The above represents my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
I assumed the OP merely used 'pennies' as a way to describe small time investing...

You could be right, upon further reading. However, my advice on investing in emerging businesses (which are usually penny stocks) stands. ;)

If you're looking for a broad account of world events, currencies, political renderings, etc. to help with your investment decisions I recommend thedailyreckoning.com. It's free, they pretty much tell it like it is (not pro America, pro political party, etc.). They cover many economists, business journals and world leader points of view and then explain why they think it's wrong or on target. Subscription to their daily newsletter is free online.
"Wishing You The Best of Good Buys"

If you're looking for a broad account of world events, currencies, political renderings, etc. to help with your investment decisions I recommend thedailyreckoning.com. It's free, they pretty much tell it like it is (not pro America, pro political party, etc.). They cover many economists, business journals and world leader points of view and then explain why they think it's wrong or on target. Subscription to their daily newsletter is free online.
"Wishing You The Best of Good Buys"

Calculated Risk is also great for the broad based macro look. But I'd say it's distinctly not "financial", way more Economics oriented.

Thank you gents for all the helpful information and links! I will definitely make use of them. I've read through a lot of uninteresting information with my blanket approach to a getting "learned" over the past few months and it became very tiring and boring so this is great. I especially appreciate the info about Penny stocks. Though it wasn't what I implied in the beginning, it was definitely a pleasant surprise because I am especially interested in emerging business and willing to take on some risk right now.

I like businessinsider, but it's heavily slanted towards the negative.
dshort is good

Also, there's a lot of decent youtube channels that cover everything from macro to daytrading. It's easy to waste hours there though.

If you're willing to spend the cash, you can't beat a Bloomberg terminal at $25k per year. It's the cheapest way to get the DeMark indicators. Rent the terminal and you're as close as you can get to the data the hedge fund managers rely on.

Back