• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finding a solution to the T top wind problems

Ok, from past threads and posts during the years it seems Im far from alone with my problems with the T top and significant wind problems with the windows at higher speed, for me it starts in the 115-120 mph range, and with a top speed of 168/175 this is hardly acceptable on any level.
From MANY dealings with dealerships and even informing them of many people with similar problems after them saying they've never seen this problem to saying it cant be realigned Ive decided to try this.

ANYONE who has had problems with the T top please post about it. Put your model year and mph it happens.

Also, anyone with any "solutions" such as the window reallignment or weather strip replacements please post any and all info and advice you can.

My hope is after this fills up and page or two or more I will take it in and demand it be solved, and hopefully most of you will aswell. Serval of you I have seen got this fixed, please feal free to post aswell. Ive had this problem since day one almost 3 years ago and am sick and tired of their neverending bullshit excusses. Its still under warrenty and want it fixed and fixed now!!!!

Solution:
1. Put the top on if you plan to go over 120mph
2. Typical speed limit on the freeway is 65mph, is there a reason to fly at 120mph?

...wind noise is expected when you have ANYTHING open traveling at 120mph....yes even my convertible BMW. The only real solution I can really think of is to redesign the whole car with a bubble wrap around it....but that is going to alter your ability to run to 120+. I hope I am not being a smart ass here. I feel T-top is best use when cruising at the beach or related to enjoy the scence and the sun....if you plan to go moc speed, pull over and put the top back on.

PoohBEAR said:
Solution:
1. Put the top on if you plan to go over 120mph
2. Typical speed limit on the freeway is 65mph, is there a reason to fly at 120mph?

...wind noise is expected when you have ANYTHING open traveling at 120mph....yes even my convertible BMW. The only real solution I can really think of is to redesign the whole car with a bubble wrap around it....but that is going to alter your ability to run to 120+. I hope I am not being a smart ass here. I feel T-top is best use when cruising at the beach or related to enjoy the scence and the sun....if you plan to go moc speed, pull over and put the top back on.

Im talking about when the T top is on
I only mentioned the T top cause it doesnt happen on the coupe
sorry for any confusion

Dan Ciesniewski said:
I only mentioned the T top cause it doesnt happen on the coupe
It does happen on the coupe, if the side windows are not aligned properly.

Ask me how I know... ;)

I've had my 95 up to 140 a couple times and it was nice and quiet. I know that doesn't help with the problem except as a data point that it's possible to have a quieter ride.

How loud a wind noise are we talking about here?

bodypainter said:
I've had my 95 up to 140 a couple times and it was nice and quiet. I know that doesn't help with the problem except as a data point that it's possible to have a quieter ride.

How loud a wind noise are we talking about here?

oh its EXTREMELY noticeable without any doubt
Ive been other cars (like Lamborghinis) way over those speeds and its plenty quite. They aways say its "normal" to have noice at those speeds, but this is something completely different than just noice, its literly sucking the window in and out with all the drag. Its loader than the engine at 8000 rpm and radio blasting at the same time.
The first time it happened on I65 driving it home after buying it I almost got pulled off the highway from it accuring on just one side. The drag is so strong it literly pulls you into other lanes if you dont know its coming.
For me, its the most noticeable along the A piller rather than the roof.

I think a simple window allignment would fix this, but they just keeps giving me resons why they cant, or reprending me for driving so fast. I guess cars should never be made to break 80 then, or ever get any track use :rolleyes:

Maybe a nice lawsuit against Honda when someone dies from this would change their minds :mad:

Same problem here... When I hit 125+ the right window starts rattling like crazy. Looking for a solution as well.

Dan Ciesniewski said:
I think a simple window allignment would fix this, but they just keeps giving me resons why they cant, or reprending me for driving so fast.
Sounds to me like a dealer problem.

I was having VERY LOUD wind noise from my side windows at 120-125 mph. I told my dealer (Woodfield Acura, which services a lot of NSXs), their lead NSX tech adjusted my window alignment, and the high-speed wind noise was gone. I assume he simply followed the procedure in the service manual (it's in the body section, under the subheading for the doors).

I would try a different dealership or mechanic, preferably one that you know has a fair amount of NSX experience (and I'm not sure your other dealer in Indy qualifies). I seem to recall you or one of the other Indy owners having a positive NSX experience with a body shop in town; have you considered going there to get your windows adjusted? That would probably be the first thing I would do in your situation. Otherwise, you could come to the Chicago area, or Milwaukee. Or, you could try The Import Doctors over in Fort Wayne; I know Meeyatch has used them and they seem to be very familiar with the NSX (they used to be the techs at the Acura dealership there).

Oh, and before you do that, make sure those little black tabs are still installed on your door frame; I believe their purpose is to help keep the glass aligned...

Dan Ciesniewski said:
My hope is after this fills up and page or two or more I will take it in and demand it be solved, and hopefully most of you will aswell. Serval of you I have seen got this fixed, please feal free to post aswell. Ive had this problem since day one almost 3 years ago and am sick and tired of their neverending bullshit excusses. Its still under warrenty and want it fixed and fixed now!!!!

Since the car is still under warranty I'll assume the rubber seals are relatively new and not shrunken or damaged with age. This definitely is a relatively simple window alignment issue. Take the advice already given and find another dealership with a competent NSX tech. Since the car has hardly been sold in the last 10 years, those are getting harder and harder to find.

If your dealership is still being a pain in the ass, you should give Acura Client Services a call at 800-382-2238.

Dan Ciesniewski said:
Ive had this problem since day one almost 3 years ago and am sick and tired of their neverending bullshit excusses. Its still under warrenty and want it fixed and fixed now!!!!

I don't think the problem has much to do with the window alignment. The problem is that there is a significant pressure differential between the interior of your NSX and the outside environment. As you accelerate past 80, 90, 100 this noise gets louder and louder, filling you with still more anger and rage - thereby increasing the amount of steam pouring out of your ears and intensifying the pressure differential. Valium may not be covered under warranty, but it will solve the problem. :biggrin:

j/k I have the same problem - can't wait to hear any legit responses. :wink:

Dan Ciesniewski said:
ANYONE who has had problems with the T top please post about it. Put your model year and mph it happens.

1997. Happens right around 120mph.
For me, it seems like it happens very quick. One second its quite, next second its loud. I assumed it was the top lifting up or something, I never thought to exame the windows.

Let's not forget that the NSX was not originally designed to have a targa top. It was a last minute band aid that was no doubt mandated by the bean counters in an attempt to boost the crappy sales. I'm sure the engineers were horrified at the thought but had no choice in the matter. This is why any NSX that I'll ever own will be a '93 or '94. Call me a purist. :)

Hugh said:
Let's not forget that the NSX was not originally designed to have a targa top. It was a last minute band aid that was no doubt mandated by the bean counters in an attempt to boost the crappy sales. I'm sure the engineers were horrified at the thought but had no choice in the matter. This is why any NSX that I'll ever own will be a '93 or '94. Call me a purist. :)

You wouldn't own a '97+ coupe or a Zanardi?

Psychobiology said:
You wouldn't own a '97+ coupe or a Zanardi?

Definitely not a Zanardi. I'd be paying extra for the name and I'd just mod the Zanardi stuff out of the car anyway. To be honest I really didn't think about a later model coupe because you almost never see them for sale. I think there will be a constant supply of 93 and 94 cars with low mileage (which is 50 to 70k for me) that I'll always be able to pick one up.

I'm thinking of modding the hell out of Charlotte into a replica JGTC car. I love the Green/White Takata Dome look and when I get a second car to use as a DD I might just put Charlotte under the knife.

takata_dome.jpg

jond said:
1997. Happens right around 120mph.
For me, it seems like it happens very quick. One second its quite, next second its loud. I assumed it was the top lifting up or something, I never thought to exame the windows.
Sounds like a good description of what was happening with my '91 Coupe. Except I never assumed it was the top lifting... :eek:

Hugh said:
I'm thinking of modding the hell out of Charlotte into a replica JGTC car. I love the Green/White Takata Dome look and when I get a second car to use as a DD I might just put Charlotte under the knife.

I'm curious Hugh... Why did you name your NSX Charlotte?

I know it's better to be driving a car called Charlotte than say Frank! But seriously...? I'm just a unimaginative engineer and end up calling mine by their colours...

I currently own a 2005 NSX and previously owned a 1991 coupe, and here are my experiences in this area.

The 1991 coupe never experienced any noticeable wind noise at any speed. **DISCLAIMER** Not that I've ever driven at these speeds, but over 140 MPH there was no material increase in wind noise inside the car.

My 2005 NSX (obviously a targa) experienced very noticeable wind noise from the passenger-side window above 120 MPH (same disclaimer as above). In addition, the passenger side window leaked slightly when I washed the car and sprayed water on the window (just a minor force spray - not full force, as if I were trying to make it leak). So I brought it to the dealer and they adjusted the passenger-side window to be a tighter seal, and also lubricated it so that it would slide up to the top of its travel when closed. In addition, they recommended that I open the passenger door when raising the window to its fully up position, so that the rubber seals wouldn't prevent the window from reaching the end of its upward travel.

The result? when I wash the car, the window leak is gone. The wind noise issue is definitely better, but still exists at high speeds.

The dealer tells me that later-model targa versions of the NSX had a different door, and this is probably part of the reason that the wind noise problem exists in the targa but not the coupe. I have resigned myself to the fact that it's not possible to eliminate the passenger-side wind noise problem for a variety of reasons.

I wish the coupe had still been available when I purchased the 2005, since I have no use for a removable top and it's likely that I will never remove the targa top from my car for any reason whatsover.

Dan....I may have a solution. I went to my usual shop at laguna niguel and tom was graciously gave me a bottle of something to put on and around the rubber part.....and the wind noise is gone. This bottle thing came direct from volvo...and it is called "anti-squeek". it works for me and it may work for you tooo. in additions, check if your window goes all the way when the door is closed.

1. have fresh air vent set to recirculate when at high speed
2. test window seal with garden hose
3. align windows by looking at service manual procedure (make sure to not rip rubber guides on A pillar and door handle while doing this.
4. if alignment is past limit consider replacing window gasketing which looses seal with time.

Good luck.

Cheers,
-- Chris

PLZ said:
The 1991 coupe never experienced any noticeable wind noise at any speed....
My 2005 NSX (obviously a targa) experienced very noticeable wind noise from the passenger-side window above 120 MPH ...

Honda didn't stop making the coupe when they introduced the T-top. The coupe was always available. It was the T-top that was a $10,000 option in Australia..

PLZ said:
...The dealer tells me that later-model targa versions of the NSX had a different door, and this is probably part of the reason that the wind noise problem exists in the targa but not the coupe...

I have trouble believing this!..

Did the dealer say it was for all T-top NSX's? Of not, what year did they start making the different doors from?

Can anyone get part numbers for the "later model" T-top and compare to the coupe part number???

I think dealers sometimes "make" excuses up to make the "problem" go away...

You should have heard what the service centre manager told me the fan noise was when I turned the ignition on... He told me it was normal! It was a pump to pressurise the system...

I believed him and the "problem" ie ME!... Went away!

I found out later here on Prime that the noise was really the climate control fan for the sensor and needed cleaning!

I would be suprised if the T-top and the Coupe have different part numbers for the doors... But if someone knows???

Last edited:
cool :)
Ill try the Volvo anti sqeak stuff and see how that goes
If it doesnt work Ill try another shop in town again, if its to no avail Im going to eighter the one Mitch knows in Ft Wayne or to Chicago :)

I took it up to 160 finally yesterday. The problem starts at 120 in and out on both windows, but once your over 135ish its constent and just bad noice, not so much pull then. Its load enough to drown out most of the engine noice even at 8000rpm in 5th :biggrin:

I wanted to go faster (at least beat Mermi's 163 ;) ) lol but with all the extra drag on the windows it took ahile to get it from 155 to 160 so I figured it wasnt going to go much faster and would take a long while to maybe even hit 165 so I took a pic and gave up :frown:

Dan Ciesniewski said:
cool :)
Ill try the Volvo anti sqeak stuff and see how that goes
If it doesnt work Ill try another shop in town again, if its to no avail Im going to eighter the one Mitch knows in Ft Wayne or to Chicago :)

I took it up to 160 finally yesterday. The problem starts at 120 in and out on both windows, but once your over 135ish its constent and just bad noice, not so much pull then. Its load enough to drown out most of the engine noice even at 8000rpm in 5th :biggrin:

I wanted to go faster (at least beat Mermi's 163 ;) ) lol but with all the extra drag on the windows it took ahile to get it from 155 to 160 so I figured it wasnt going to go much faster and would take a long while to maybe even hit 165 so I took a pic and gave up :frown:

Where in the world were you driving to go that fast? I'm scared to ask:eek:

Back