• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

first comparison lap times of the NSX versus its rivals - UK Top Gear

As others have mentioned before this, I am actually a bit disappointed in the new NSX being slower than either the new R8 and the Huracan.

I know the car is a lot heavier and yes, I know the V6's output is only 500 HP, but the SH-AWD system is supposedly something that would give the NSX an advantage at EVERY corner-exit.

I agree with this point. Losing in a straight line 0-60, 0-100 or whatever run is one thing - but losing by a pretty large margin on a track with cornering factored in is a bit of a rebuke to the technology driving this car. 2 seconds is a pretty large difference and is something that will haunt the NSX at Cars and Coffee penis comparisons, I mean discussions.

still impressive time with those tires.That is why he needed all the road and then some...you could tell the mechanical grip through hammer-head was suboptimal

that was based on clarksons prejudices..

I think it is pretty much competitive so far. And it shows some potential. The car is so complex that Acura has been busy to sort out all the gremlins. Give them some time to improve it. It's unfair if some people compare it to an R8 Plus because the R8 is on the market since 10 years and the Plus is a special version.

I don't put too much thought on TG times because the weather is so variable in England that the track Lome can vary by a handful of seconds, a good amount more than the couple seconds any given track can vary throughout the day.

Lighting Lap is the worst source of comparison in automotive Journalism. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that. Not only do they test cars over a few days, but they use multiple writers with EXTREME differences in experience (from probably within a second or two ofnRandy Post to outright inexperienced) to compare cars. I would much rather look at a NSX or Head2Head comparison by Randy than TopGear, and especially not LL.

Lap times are so last millennium. I want a comparison to see which car is the quickest to run 12 parsecs.

I would make much rather see cars compared on a polar chart. Lap Times are too one dimensional

ChtTypesPolarChart.png

If you look at the sidewall design of the white NSX that appeared on TGUK with the design of the red NSX that Alonso was running at Estoril, they look the same. In one pic, when blown up, you can make out one identifying word that gives the brand away...and it's not Michelin or Continental. They're Pirelli P-Zeros.

P Zeros? HA! the plot thickens...

- - - Updated - - -

i gotta agree with kendallj and stuntman on this one. Honda wouldn't throw their new techno wonder, flagship model, HALO Supercar out there on shit tires to have it be seconds behind the competition on the world's most watched automotive television show. just think about that for a second...

Top gear has always had "hate" on the NSX...

Really? Jeremy seemed quite enamoured with it, especially around the 6 1/2 minute mark on...

https://youtu.be/EvKKjz0VjAM

If you look at the sidewall design of the white NSX that appeared on TGUK with the design of the red NSX that Alonso was running at Estoril, they look the same. In one pic, when blown up, you can make out one identifying word that gives the brand away...and it's not Michelin or Continental. They're Pirelli P-Zeros.

06_02_54mb.jpg

I thought so too, but here is an example of the Pirelli P Zero side wall:

171465_2015_Ford_Mustang.jpg

now Michelins:

2017-Acura-NSX-Tire.jpg

Contis:

ms4c7612.jpg

IMG_5167.JPG

Definitely not the Michelins as the checkered flag would have stood out. The sidewall is definitely closer to the Contis or Pirellis. I can almost make out the "Con" on the front tire of the Top gear car...

On the white car of TGUK:
rear: sidewall from 1 to 2 o'clock: Pirelli P-Zero
front: at 12 o'clock: you can read and E and maybe an R

-> Pirelli P-Zero most likely.

P Zeros? HA! the plot thickens...

i gotta agree with kendallj and stuntman on this one. Honda wouldn't throw their new techno wonder, flagship model, HALO Supercar out there on shit tires to have it be seconds behind the competition on the world's most watched automotive television show. just think about that for a second...

If you can make that statement you obviously do not know Honda!

Honda have been sitting on SH-AWD since 2005, a system that is the best AWD system, from a drivers perspective, and they NEVER put it in a chassis that could showcase it in any meaningful way!!!!!

Using Continentals on the Top Gear show is the VERY thing Honda would do, because it is the "production" tyre, and thus they couldn't use the option. This is Honda we are talking about, not Ferrari or the VW Group.

But I rest by my assertion from before, I'm confident that in side by side comparisons, the MkII will be a wash with other car's performance variants, bar possibly the GT3 variants. Time will tell.

I thought so too, but here is an example of the Pirelli P Zero side wall:

now Michelins:

Contis:

Definitely not the Michelins as the checkered flag would have stood out. The sidewall is definitely closer to the Contis or Pirellis. I can almost make out the "Con" on the front tire of the Top gear car...

wow, you guys are really reaching! :biggrin:

If you can make that statement you obviously do not know Honda!

Using Continentals on the Top Gear show is the VERY thing Honda would do, because it is the "production" tyre, and thus they couldn't use the option. This is Honda we are talking about, not Ferrari or the VW Group.

alrighty, let me see if i'm following your logic here?

Honda, one of the preeminent and most forward thinking car builders in the world, who are championing their new techno tour de force NSX for the world to see, who are genius enough to build such a complicated and groundbreaking, potentially world beating machine, are stupid enough to handicap its debut by fitting crap tires on their masterpiece, for the world's largest audience?

and Ferrari are cheaters because they put sticky tires on their racing inspired Supercar?

sounds a bit silly doesn't it?

p.s. any road going car manufacturer can put any tire they want on. this isn't Formula 1, there are no tire requirements for Flagship HALO street cars.

p.s.s. if you're certain Honda could possibly be that retardedly stupid, do you really want to buy a car from them?

Last edited:

Honda, one of the preeminent and most forward thinking car builders in the world, who are championing their new techno tour de force NSX for the world to see, who are genius enough to build such a complicated and groundbreaking, potentially world beating machine, are stupid enough to handicap its debut by fitting crap tires on their masterpiece, for the world's largest audience?

and Ferrari are cheaters because they put sticky tires on their racing inspired Supercar?

p.s. any road going car manufacturer can put any tire they want on. this isn't Formula 1, there are no tire requirements for Flagship HALO street cars.

p.s.s. if you're certain Honda could possibly be that retardedly stupid, do you really want to buy a car from them?

I could believe there are some Pirellis over the Michelins in the blurry pic of the white car, but that pic is not very clear or high def. I prefer words from the actual testers.

It's been proven before that Ferrari likes to bring the best or even better when it comes to testing, even Chris Harris has infamously mentioned it.

Common sense logic would have Honda putting on the best package possible for the timed lap but they have done questionable things in the past. The Contis are rated 280 so they're not exactly all-season as some would suggest tho...

Either way, I look forward to seeing more direct, same day comparisons with other supercars. Only time will tell.

Yes Honda are that naive when it comes to marketing.

The Ferrari reference was in regard to Chris Harris outing them in an Evo magazine article, on how Ferrari "prepared" their cars for road testing by magazines. Old news. The Volkswagen reference is my "cheap" shot at that groups current "dieselgate" episode.

But be that as it may, let's hold the discussion until actual, production car comparison testing is done by independent reviewers [and ones that actually DRIVE the car instead of sitting in the passenger seat :) ]

Hmm, if they are using the same white NSX with the German license plate, it is probably the same car I saw at the European NSX Tour last month.
If so, it is DEFINATELY NOT a real production car but one of the serial number 0000-cars.

These are the cars that will be scrapped when the NSX is in full production (as I have been told).

Also, these pre-production cars have been travelling up and down all over Europe to showcase the new NSX. Which means they have been around a while.
Surely hope that Honda has at least upgraded the production models a bit with the latest software updates.

No. plate EU Tour 2016 = TGUK = F H7174.

You'll see permanent updates on todays new cars. No DIY anymore. You'll be absolutely at the mercy of the dealers. That's why I don't like new cars in general. As for major upgrades they oblige you to buy the newest version.

Back