• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First impressions of toyo ra-1

Ken,

One thing to take into consideration is that you need to get used to the RA1 behaviour. Also, your suspension setup might need to be altered to suit the RA1 better.

S03 is a great street tire. It can be almost as fast as R compound tire for a lap or two, but it will get overheated. Like when I drove your car at Thunderhill, I was able to get 2:09 in my second lap with you in the car. After that my lap times is getting slower due to tire overheat. I am confident if you let me setup your suspension, the car is capable doing 2:07 with current mods form using S03 tires. Probably about 2:06-2:05 with RA1.

Shameless plug, I am starting a new company called Prima racing. We specialize in suspension tuning.

I am about to start using the RA-1 on my other track car. I'll let you know how I like them.

On the NSX, I still have lots of tread on my A032R, and an extra pair of rears, so it will be a while before I have to worry about getting new track tires.

Yoko AO48's

Andrie Hartanto said:

Now I heard the new yokohama A048 suppose to be as fast as Hoosier. I have never tried it. But the new hoosier is also rumored to be 1-2 sec faster than their old tire, but heavier. I have no personal experience with both tires.

Yep, I've asked a friend who knows folks at Yokohama to push them to bring different sizes for the A048, so far I know that they only import Porsche specific sizes.

SJS-I agree with Andrie,so far the ra-1 is more consistant and overall more progressive and grippier than ao3r and p zero c.I think the pilot sport cups are just as good maybe better but no sizes in our 17/17 fitments.I'de like to try those new ao48's though.

I like to add. The old Hard compound of A032R is only slightly grippier than modern street tires. They are great in the rain though.

Ken, how old is your A032R? You might want to try new tires anyway. We had a 2 year old A032R that almost caused me a wall at Sears Point, the car was so loose. My friend Jim went off and complain about the car setup, but we isolated it to tire problem.

What size of Toyo RA1 would you use on oem 16/17 wheels?

I checked their specs and don't see an adeqaute size for the front 16 to balance the rear 17.

Wouldn't the 225/50/16 be too tall, or rub? Would you go with 255/40/17 or 275/40/17 for the rear - the latter seems to be pushing it no?

I running on Bilsteins lower perch, Comptech sway bars (stiffest on the front), medium on the back.

Hey guys, i'm running ra1 205/40/17 front and 265/35/18 michelin pilot sport cup tires rear and this setup seems to work great for me. I ran ra1s before all around and this setup is less squirrely exiting corners. Really love the Michelins, definitely better than the toyos for grip but i've heard they dont last as long. This may also be due to the fact that they come with only 6/32" rather than the toyo 8/32" new.

Back