• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

first time at the drag strip

A few friends and I went to the Great Lakes Dragaway tonight.

It was about 50-55 degrees.

I was running Toyo Proxes T1-S at normal street pressure, and was not doing burnouts to warm up the tires. My car is basically stock.

This was my first time at a drag strip.

Here are my best #s of the night:

R/T .653 (different run than the below #s)

0-60 2.059

1/8 8.923 @ 81.11 mph

1/4 13.845 101.54 mph

I think that's pretty good for a first timer, given the conditions.

Re: Re: first time at the drag strip

insx said:
Are you sure that number is correct? :eek:

I'm looking at the slip as I type this. I ran a 2.058 and a 13.887 on the previous run.

I started the night at a 2.4, and gradually worked my way down.

You do realize I am talking about 0-60 ft, not 0-60 mph?

As you can see above, I took 8.9 seconds to reach 81 mph.

Good job, especially with that 2.05 0-60' time! I think that's one of the fastest 0-60'times I've seen on a stock NA1 cupe. (my best was a 2.11 with a slipping clutch)
Your trap speed is on the low side thought, I've been consistant around 103's. (stock 91) Maybe your clutch is slipping a little? Could be other things too.

Last edited:
BITeR said:
Good job, especially with that 2.05 0-60' time! I think that's one of the fastest 0-60'times I've seen on a stock NA1 cupe. (my best was a 2.11 with a slipping clutch)
Your trap speed is on the low side thought, I've been consistant around 103's. (stock 91) Maybe your clutch is slipping a little? Could be other things too.

I thought the trap speed was a little low as well.

I didn't notice the clutch slipping, each gear engaged fairly well.

His trap speed might be a slight bit low only because his 60 ft. times were better than most. Any street car will trap slower as the 60 ft. times get shorter.

ZR-1 NSX said:
His trap speed might be a slight bit low only because his 60 ft. times were better than most. Any street car will trap slower as the 60 ft. times get shorter.

I thought that may have been the case. Funny thing, I am sure I could have ran a better 60 ft. time with stickier tires that were at lower pressure and warmed up, and I probably could have shifted gears a little more quickly as well.

I also thought I would have been able to do better than 13.85.

I'll be taking the car in to see John Vasos in the next week or so, and we'll figure out if anything evil is afoot.

From my experience...if you have that low 60ft time and are slower in the end your clutch is probably slipping. This was my case before I changed the clutch. It isn't slipping bad enough to physically feel but when a clutch slips it usually gives better 60ft times. After I changed my clutch (granted it was a better clutch) the 60 ft time went up a bit but drastically lowered the final time.

Don

After looking at some of the other times/mph posted on this site, I am not so sure that 101.5 mph is slow, given the relatively stock nature of my car. I believe the previous owner dyno'd it at 231 rwhp, which is on the lower end of the scale for a 93.

brahtw8 said:
After looking at some of the other times/mph posted on this site, I am not so sure that 101.5 mph is slow, given the relatively stock nature of my car. I believe the previous owner dyno'd it at 231 rwhp, which is on the lower end of the scale for a 93.

Trap speed of around 102 is about right. 230rwhp is also about right for stock nsx. Those are exactly the same number I got when it was stock. In fact, my car was dynoed along with your car when your previous owner dynoed it and pretty much had the same result. Nothing wrong with your car man.

I'm no drag racing expert but I do have about 400+ passes at Indianapolis Raceway Park in a wide variety of my past and present street cars. My ZR-1 Corvette(bone stock) has run a best time of 12.68 but had a much slower trap speed(108) than the usual(112) but I had my best 60ft. time of 1.988. Usually I have a very hard time getting under 2.0 flat. In drag racing steet cars, the first 60ft. is 95% of the race. I have not had the chance to run the NSX yet, but I'm not itching to do it anyway as I'm not too interested in it's straight line performance.

ak said:
Trap speed of around 102 is about right. 230rwhp is also about right for stock nsx. Those are exactly the same number I got when it was stock. In fact, my car was dynoed along with your car when your previous owner dynoed it and pretty much had the same result. Nothing wrong with your car man.

Glad to hear it. Poor Kenric with no NSX. :(

I wonder how long he can hold out.

ZR-1 NSX said:
I have not had the chance to run the NSX yet, but I'm not itching to do it anyway as I'm not too interested in it's straight line performance.

I am a road courses man as well. Octoberfast is coming up and I can't wait.

I must admit that I liked the drag strip a lot more than I thought I would.

brahtw8 said:
Glad to hear it. Poor Kenric with no NSX. :(

I wonder how long he can hold out.

Glad to hear you went to the track. I never got a chance when I had it, I always thought it would run high 13's, maybe faster with stock wheels.

Since it's almost winter, I can hold out until next April. But it's very hard.

:)

Ag NSX said:
Glad to hear you went to the track. I never got a chance when I had it, I always thought it would run high 13's, maybe faster with stock wheels.

What happened to the 2 other nsx that was in your garage? :cool:

Those weren't mine. They were my friend's. Unfortunately, those other 2 are gone too. One was totalled and the other was just sold last month. So I went from seeing 3 NSX's everyday to none in 4 months! :(

Ag NSX said:

I think it might be easier not to have an NSX in the garage during the winter.

I expect it will be difficult for me to have to see it every day but not be able to drive it.

I might have to break down and buy a PS2 or Xbox and get a steering wheel and some driving games.

Hopefully it will be a short and mild winter, with some nice clear days for NSXing.

:D

brahtw8 said:

Hopefully it will be a short and mild winter, with some nice clear days for NSXing.

:D

I would like whatever it is that you are smoking because it must be premium :) no such thing as mild winter in midwest! :eek:

ak said:
I would like whatever it is that you are smoking because it must be premium :) no such thing as mild winter in midwest! :eek:

Its all relative. I am sure there are some Alaskans and Canadians who would beg to differ.

By mild winter, I mean no snow in October, minimal/no snow in November/December, a freak day in the 50s in February, and Spring in early April.

The way this fall is going, it looks like it will be cold. Forecast for Octoberfast this weekend (BMW CCA at Road America) is a high of 43 or so, and a little rain. :(

when are you going again to GLD?

Would like to meet you there. I have the other silver NSX that was Kenric's garage. It has euro short gears and DF Centerforce clutch. Has same RSR exhaust. Would like to find out my time. Hope its at least as yours. Can you spin 1st gear at all with TCS off?

-VV

Re: when are you going again to GLD?

valenzul said:
Would like to meet you there. I have the other silver NSX that was Kenric's garage. It has euro short gears and DF Centerforce clutch. Has same RSR exhaust. Would like to find out my time. Hope its at least as yours. Can you spin 1st gear at all with TCS off?

-VV

I will probably be back there next spring, but maybe not. You should come to Road America for a driving school some time. Windy City Chapter of the BMW CCA has one in May, or you could go to Blackhawk in South Beloit with the Badger Bimmers Chapter in July and August, or RA in October.

Drag strips aren't really my thing, but it was a good time.

The car is pretty tired from Octoberfast this weekend. New brake pads and tires will be needed before spring.

I don't really understand what you mean by "spin 1st gear at all with TCS off."

I was launching at around 3500, getting a little wheel spin, but I was not spinning the tires when shifting into second.

spin tire

Spin the tires on 1st. is what I meant. sorry... sometimes it just feels like I am slipping the clutch with TCS on. but with it off, the tires rarely spin after reving at 2500rpm or so...

-Val

Back