• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First time building a PC, advice wanted

Phoenix,

I just remounted my cpu (Althon 1800) last night with Artic Silver and now I run 51-52C. So that helped a little. At 100% usage for 20 min. it only gets up to 55c now.

Hey Ag NSX, what are you using to monitor your CPU temp? I'm getting different readings from my BIOS (43-47c), motherboard utility (73c), and SiSoft Sandro (33c). I'm pretty sure the MOBO utility is wrong. If you've got Sandra running on your PC, maybe we could compare temps.

Damn Phoenix....I shoulda asked you to help me build one, I just bought one and I know I got raped, oh well, maybe next time.

Bummer, Syonara. Building my own wasn't that bad. Now that I've done it once the next time should be a piece of cake!

Here are a couple pics of my new setup:

The CPU

My desktop

I'm really happy with it so far! Now I gotta migrate all my data over...ick

os-flamewar.gif

Nice stuff PhoeN$X....

both you guys have nice cases, BUT you don't have the NSX-of-all-PC-cases... the Lian-Li PC70.

prd_374.jpg

It is made of ALUMINUM just like the NSX... chassis and outer casing (helps reduce heat) ...costs as much an an NSX too.
biggrin.gif
You can read more info <A HREF="http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?action=viewPD&prdid=374">here</A>.

And yes, i own one...
biggrin.gif

All i need is a 'www.myLianLiCase.com' sticker and i'd be a Bigger Daddy than Bill! LOL

With everyone talking about 5+ fans, graphics benchmarks, etc, I feel like a weenie asking, but...

Doesn't the fan hum (or roar for some of you
smile.gif
) get annoying?

I don't use my computer for a lot of games, mostly used for work (programming, some graphics/vid, blah, blah) and the fan noise kinda gets on my nerves after a few hours. And I only have 3 fans total (PS, CPU, graphics board)!

My buddy has a big-ass tower with 5 fans (I think), I could not stand the roar. Then again, he mostly uses it for games and has the volume cranked to drown out the fans.

:p

------------------
ojaspatel.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by Ojas (edited 05 March 2003).]

Wow <font color=red>Neo</font>, now I know why you don't have an NSX...you're spending all your money on PC equipment!
biggrin.gif

Ojas: yes, although I've only had the PC for a couple of weeks I do notice the increased noise from four fans (PSU, case, CPU, graphics). The case has room for four additional fans, but I'm glad I didn't install any more! I think there are quieter (read: more expensive) fans out there, but it doesn't bother me that much right now.

Ojas: Fan noise is obviously going to be a problem; but then so is heat.
smile.gif
Cheap fans are often noisy. Keep good quality fans clean and they're whisper quiet.
Lian-Li cases have adjustable fan speeds (H|M|L) which reduces the noise-factor dramatically. My system has seven functioning fans and it's slightly quieter than an average cheap PC.

using fans keeps components cool, which helps prolong their lifespan... you don't have to be a gamer to benefit from them.

Phoe<FONT COLOR=red>N$X</FONT>: perhaps if i install 17/18" wheels on my case and paint it red, it will be more NSX-like?
biggrin.gif

Back