• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fixing clearcoat on Carbon Fiber?

Hey guys! I have some carbon fiber canards on my front bumper. I guess after scraping the bottom on the ground, it seems as though there is some white stress marks on the top of them :(

It looks almost like when you take a piece of black plastic and bend it, along the crease it turns white. It's the same type of thing only it's not very pronounced. Is it in the clear coat or in the weave itself?

Is it something that can be fixed? I don't really want to wait for like for 3 months for a new set to come in from Japan.

I'd think that you can take them off, sand them down, and then have a body shop clear coat them again.

I also have an issue where a piece was dented in the corner and broke away some small bits of clear coat or whatever is over the fiber.
I was thinking of layering something clear over the top of it.
Like clear epoxy, nail polish, .......
Build it up slowly over a few days or weeks.
Let me know
Will post pics tomorrow.
Trev

Attachments

• EdNsxWingDamage1_resize.JPG
    EdNsxWingDamage1_resize.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 88
  • EdNsxWingDamage2_resize.JPG
    EdNsxWingDamage2_resize.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 79
  • EdNsxWingDamage3_resize.JPG
    EdNsxWingDamage3_resize.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 85
  • EdNsxWingDamage4_resize.JPG
    EdNsxWingDamage4_resize.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 74
  • EdNsxWingDamage5_resize.JPG
    EdNsxWingDamage5_resize.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Also there are cracks or fractures......

Attachments

• EdNsxWingDamage6_resize.JPG
    EdNsxWingDamage6_resize.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 301
Why not let a reputable bodyman sand the clear completely off and leave em bare carbon. That should'nt take much.:smile:

attachment.php

That looks like issues with the Gel coat - either cracks a air traps. You need to have it sanded down deep, hopefully it wouldn't get dow to the CF it self, after that, reclearcoat it. Do you mind disclose the manufacture?

You may want to have a good body shop sand it down, but by the time everything is done, you can pertty much use the money to buy a new wing from Erick.

^ if the webbing persists and DIY'ing doesn't bother do you, AND you don't hold me liable for what I'm saying; then:

1. take a small razor blade and chip off the cracks; deep enough to form an indention/cavity in the clear.
2. apply clear coat/epoxy resin over the area, you can use masking tape to hold the resin in place.
3. let try and wait for the resin to fully harden
4. sand off/reform the new area with a super fine grit sand paper - wet sanding is highly recommended.
5. dry off the area an you'll notice a white/flat surface on the clear
6. buff to shine with a rubbing compound. (i prefer 3m)

steps 4 thru 5 can be used on any wet lay cf part to bring back that "shine."

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about the bubbling along the top edge. It the nature and quality of the clear coat when expose to weathering.

Good luck.

a few more pics for you...
Note the Type-R Concorde.......
Trev

Attachments

• DSC03526_resize.JPG
    DSC03526_resize.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC03533_resize.JPG
    DSC03533_resize.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC03532_resize.JPG
    DSC03532_resize.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC03529_resize.JPG
    DSC03529_resize.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 71
Thanks Otoro, that what I was looking for the crushed part, the cracks or fractures or lines, will have to stay I think, unless, maybe a smokey clear might help cover them from being seen.
Trev

Back