• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fly Fishing NSXer's

Hello NSXer's,

I went fly fishing for the first time on the Guadalupe river last weekend and allthough the river was flowing fast (811!!!) and it was my first time using wadders (was kindda hard to stay standing, think again 811!!!) but I had a blast. I have fished before by casting but have always loved the art of fly fishing and the technique involved. If there are any other fly fishing NSXer's out there please chime in. Any input on products or where to buy online would be great. After searching the net here is what I am looking to pick up:

Rod: Sage Flight 5 weight 9' (4 piece)
Reel: Lamson Konic Model 2
Line: Scientific Angler's Mastery GPX
Wadders: Cabela's Gold Medal
Wadding Boots: ???

What do you think, is this a good starting point?

I took up fly fishing for steelhead trout last fall...and I should go today but it is cold. I'm new to it but I think you and I are doing quite different fishing. At the least, fishing for very different fish. Steelhead are large: average of 24 to 30 inches and weigh 10 or so pounds. I use a 9 foot 8 weight rod with matching line. Weight forward floating line. I bought the rod and reel and line as a kit from Bass pro shops. Same with my waders if I remember. They are insulated felt covered boots and neopreen leggings for cold temps since steelheading is meant for late fall and winter.

Take a look at the kits available online. you might find a better deal as rod reel and line all as one.

I used to fly fish a ton, I've done huge segments of the San Juan and other rivers going throught the rockies (my favorite). As far as gear goes, 99.99% of your succes is going to be technique. I'd go to a reputable fly fishing shop and let them teach you. I have all orvis equipment and have no complaints.

Back