• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fogging in rear hatch

Am I the only one with this problem?

I doubt it's moisture. It seems to accumulate overtime. The only remedy I have is to wipe down the engine with Simple Green sprayed on the cloth and wash the inside of the glass with soap and water. Eventually it does come back though.

My engine cover is reupholstered with vinyl. Do you think this is the culprit?

I had this condition with my car too. I used rain-x on the inside of the glass and that took care of the problem.

BTW I had factory engine cover.

Joel, I remember seeing your cover. I liked it alot. The question is, is there a purpose to the engine cover? What would happen if I remove it? Doesn't seem like it forms a tight water proof seal or anything...is it for sound deadening?

Have you noticed any changes in your fluid levels at all?

You probably already know this but, radiator steam from even the smallest leak (old coolant tank cap, weeping pump, loose hose clamps, etc) will build up and leave a greasy like residue all over the engine compartment and on the glass. If its just road dirt and water it shouldn’t be greasy (and require Simple Green to clean off as you stated).

I haven't had my first NSX for long, but I have owned my fair share of leaky sports cars. My RX7 being the worst. :)

Last edited:
Spinner said:
....................... The question is, is there a purpose to the engine cover? What would happen if I remove it? Doesn't seem like it forms a tight water proof seal or anything...is it for sound deadening?

The main purpose is to reduce noise, similar to the double pane glass and it does form a tight seal around the base.

hmmm...noise only, eh? I've never removed mine, so I think I'll give it a try. :D. Kinda cool to be able to see the motor underneath the glass. At least this way its clear why the tail is so long....people keep asking why the fronts shorter than the back...this way its obvious.:cool:

Spinner said:
hmmm...noise only, eh? I've never removed mine, so I think I'll give it a try. :D. Kinda cool to be able to see the motor underneath the glass. At least this way its clear why the tail is so long....people keep asking why the fronts shorter than the back...this way its obvious.:cool:

I threw out the engine cover the same day that I picked up my car

When my spool valves, and valve cover gaskets were leaking I got and increase in Fogging on the rear window. If all your seals and fluid levels are ok, then I would also suggest rain-x. :)

My $0.02...

This from an organic chemist... there are lots of volatile compounds in vinyl that sublimate over time (these are the things that cause vinyl to smell like vinyl). These compounds cause your windows to "fog" when you leave a vinyl-upholstered car out in the sun for any period of time. So I am sure that part, probably most, of your problem is your reupholstered engine cover. This doesn't explain why wiping the engine with Simple Green helps, but I'd guess that you're wiping the engine cover at the same time. HTH. ;)

Keith

Attachments

• img_0345.jpg
    img_0345.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 257
Re: My $0.02...

Keith in Seattle said:
This from an organic chemist... there are lots of volatile compounds in vinyl that sublimate over time (these are the things that cause vinyl to smell like vinyl). These compounds cause your windows to "fog" when you leave a vinyl-upholstered car out in the sun for any period of time. So I am sure that part, probably most, of your problem is your reupholstered engine cover. This doesn't explain why wiping the engine with Simple Green helps, but I'd guess that you're wiping the engine cover at the same time. HTH. ;)

Keith

Is this also what causes the hazy film build up on the inside of all the windows in my vehicles? I wash the inside off my windows at least once a month, do not smoke in my vehicles, yet this hazy film (not fog) keeps coming back.

Is this also what causes the hazy film build up on the inside of all the windows in my vehicles? I wash the inside off my windows at least once a month, do not smoke in my vehicles, yet this hazy film (not fog) keeps coming back.

Yup, same deal.

Keith

Re: Re: My $0.02...

steveny said:

Yes that is the cause. The volatile compounds in almost everything in the interior such as vinyl, foam in the seats, adhesives, carpet, and so on "outgass" and end up on the windows.

Ammonia based cleaners do not clean this haze very well. Best to use ammonia-free cleaners, usually alcohol based. However the alcohol based cleaners don't usually do as well on the exterior road grime and bugs so I wouldn't recommend most of them for the exterior side of the glass, just for cutting the hazy film you described on the inside.

Re: Re: Re: My $0.02...

xsn said:
Yes that is the cause. The volatile compounds in almost everything in the interior such as vinyl, foam in the seats, adhesives, carpet, and so on "outgass" and end up on the windows.

Ammonia based cleaners do not clean this haze very well. Best to use ammonia-free cleaners, usually alcohol based. However the alcohol based cleaners don't usually do as well on the exterior road grime and bugs so I wouldn't recommend most of them for the exterior side of the glass, just for cutting the hazy film you described on the inside.

I was told by the lady who tinted my windows not to use alcohol based cleaners because it would scratch the surface of the tint. At least I know where the haze is coming from. If I leave the windows down a crack will the haze take longer to accumulate? Does the rate of gas released slow with the ageing of the car?

Re: Re: Re: Re: My $0.02...

steveny said:
....................Does the rate of gas released slow with the ageing of the car?

The rate of outgassing is a function of time and most non-metallic materials outgas. That's why the "new car smell" disappears over time.

FWIW, I used to have the oily film haze on the back hatch regularly. After I had all of the gaskets, hoses, galley plugs changed/resealed the problem totally went away.

I never really noticed a change from before or after I removed my engine cover.

The engine maintanence did the trick.

Back