• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For Pure Driving Pleasure: CarBuzz Gen 1 vs Gen 2 with Graham Rahal

lol 13 seconds faster...that is ridiculous on that track...

Thanks for posting.

As much as I would want Honda to be lauded for the latest NSX, and it seems to be pretty well received, selfishly I also want the original to be the one that "wins" subjective contests, mostly because I was so smitten by it back in 1991, and of course because there's an original in my garage and I don't see myself spending so much $$ on a new one.

Not at all unexpected that the new one with as much tech and HP as it has, would be significantly faster. But, putting subjective measures on the car, I'm happy with their subjective winner. After all, sometimes it's about the driving experience rather than the raw numbers.

So, for me, this was a nice review and I like the outcome.

That was my take away too.

The original may offer a purer driving experience, but that doesn't sell cars. Being very fast around the track and that surge of speed tends to seal the deal. I wonder if either of those commentators would pay $200k for an original NSX and really put their preference to the test.

That was my take away too.

The original may offer a purer driving experience, but that doesn't sell cars. Being very fast around the track and that surge of speed tends to seal the deal. I wonder if either of those commentators would pay $200k for an original NSX and really put their preference to the test.

+1, I felt the commentators had a bit of NSX-V1 fan boyism going on. They could have titled the piece; "Which is more engaging, stick or flappy paddle?" I am a die hard stick guy but even I realize that the future is dual clutch technology. I wish they would have tested a auto 2005 NSX versus the new car and then told us how they felt. I wanted a true head to head comparison versus just a pedal count.

If the new car was on track tires then maybe 2-3 seconds could be attributable to that..but still 9-10 seconds of faster car , places these two cars in different classes...in a 30 minute hpde session the old car would be lapped...

If the new car was on track tires then maybe 2-3 seconds could be attributable to that..but still 9-10 seconds of faster car , places these two cars in different classes...in a 30 minute hpde session the old car would be lapped...
I'm an average HPDE driver. I'm certainly not "fast" per say BUT my car with R-Comps, CTSC, BBK was pushing between 1:31-33 secs (even though it was 110F ambient out there). I'm basically on pace with Graham's 1:33 in a stock car with Dunlop Z2's.

The new NSX is FAST..... BUT this track would favor a torque vectoring AWD the best. It's a short track with hard braking, tight turns, with 3 straight-a-ways. The difference won't be so dramatic at flowing tracks like Laguna Seca.

The video proves why I can't sell my original NA1 coupe anytime soon. I can't sell it for a McLaren 12C or the new NSX. I have yet to drive a GT4 but with that tall gearing I suspect my NSX is still more fun to drive to a stock GT4.

....but for the casual reader they best look up what you have done to your car....plus you have the bug...I think it is fair to say you should feel proud to be in the wheel house of a pro in a stock car with street tires.

Compare the top times on this same track.
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/thermal-club-raceway

12923348_1096436893741959_6728749840367312668_n.jpg

......... It's about time people started realizing the amazing work American Honda did on this car.

- - - Updated - - -

....but for the casual reader they best look up what you have done to your car....plus you have the bug...I think it is fair to say you should feel proud to be in the wheel house of a pro in a stock car with street tires.
Thanks for the kind words doc. Though, I could argue Graham was totally sandbagging his lap time in the NA2 :)

For the record... on more technical tracks like Laguna Seca, Sears Point, or even Buttonwillow... I'm much much farther off pace. My balls just aren't big enough haha

agree....thats why i think the worldwide demand will far outstrip the capacity at the ohio plant.

Thanks for posting.

As much as I would want Honda to be lauded for the latest NSX, and it seems to be pretty well received, selfishly I also want the original to be the one that "wins" subjective contests, mostly because I was so smitten by it back in 1991, and of course because there's an original in my garage and I don't see myself spending so much $$ on a new one.

Not at all unexpected that the new one with as much tech and HP as it has, would be significantly faster. But, putting subjective measures on the car, I'm happy with their subjective winner. After all, sometimes it's about the driving experience rather than the raw numbers.

So, for me, this was a nice review and I like the outcome.

I'm with you. The new generation of supercars strive to involve the man as part of an outcome largely determined by the car's technology based application of gobs of power and grip. The NSX is from an era when a man could actually be part of the equation, and it did it outstandingly even for its own time; this observation has been repeated about the original car by numerous automotive journalists (who test high performance cars for a living). Acura and other car makers had to model the cars feedback systems to allow a driver to actually feel and hear the car so it would feel more like a analog car and not a video game. Just like traction control systems that allow anyone with two feet to get a perfect launch and astounding 0-60 times, newer cars can't help but lack that genuine "feeling" of actually being integral part of the outcome rather than just a ancillary participant. Thats what the original NSX, and those like it, provide that newer supercars can't and why a lot of "drivers" long for those good old days, regardless of lap times, etc.

Last edited:

......... It's about time people started realizing the amazing work American Honda did on this car.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the kind words doc. Though, I could argue Graham was totally sandbagging his lap time in the NA2 :)

For the record... on more technical tracks like Laguna Seca, Sears Point, or even Buttonwillow... I'm much much farther off pace. My balls just aren't big enough haha

I like how clinical and analytical you are with your mods...plus you have humility when it comes to your online persona...that is a good quality to have as a weekend warrior.My goal always with hpde was to be as fast as the fast guys were irregardless of what car they drove...

Great point!!! I am surprised it has not been making bigger news.

As you suggested, Graham did 1:21.9 at Thermal in an NSX basically tying the track focused ACR Viper's 1:21.86 (albeit different days different drivers). The ACR Viper beat the Z06 Corvette at Laguna Seca by 2.59 seconds (same day, Randy Probst driving). The $400K, track focused 675LT McLaren only beat the Z06 at Big Willow by .71 seconds (different days but both with Randy Probst driving). I know this is not a perfect comparison but if the NSX is comparable to the ACR, then it seems to indicate that the NSX very likely will beat the Z06 Corvette and even the track-focused 675LT McLaren - and probably by a significant amount if its in the ACR's realm.

So when Ted Claus says that the NSX posted the fastest times they ever encountered through the turns during testing, it seems he wasn't exaggerating.

This is shaping up to be a budget 918.

With all due respect, i've been saying this since NSXPO! :) I can't say it enough though... the old metrics that define a supercar has just been rewritten.

Oh stop it [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION]. You're making me blush :redface:

haha ok now its time for me to stalk Roger..puppy style:wink:

I wonder if I can the new NSX to spin out? LOL

...good one...yes you could:biggrin:......it would be a herky jerky affair though as all the motors try to keep you going straight.

Budget 918... Ok time to save up!!! In 6 years that car will be $120k used maybe.....?

I just have to save $1,500 a month for 6 years!!! Not Bad....plus, I like ramen noodles.

Budget 918... Ok time to save up!!! In 6 years that car will be $120k used maybe.....?

I just have to save $1,500 a month for 6 years!!! Not Bad....plus, I like ramen noodles.

I'm guessing that you'll be out of luck.

The 918's price will be going the other way rather than heading down towards $100k..... after all, they did only make 918 of the things

Ooops, my bad. That is more likely, but not guaranteed either, as a decent NA2 could be commanding that sort of figure soon......

Last edited:
Back