• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For those of you who have ducted hoods...

+1 on the low profile latch.

21505fd5c919ab6030ba0c652b54f985_zps8ba06020.jpg

They are the mini latch from Quick Latch. They are not for hood fitment. My hood fits perfect with or without them. I did it for track safety. I've seen my hood vibrate at speed ever so slightly and was not going to take chances. I hate all the ugly latches out there. These are the size of a quarter.

- - - Updated - - -

Other latches also disrupt airflow and make noise. These are flat and low profile and do not. You have to use some fat fender washers underneath

From my own perspective of buying 3 different brands of carbon fiber hoods from my old bb6 prelude. I have never been in interest of a cf hood for the nsx as it is already light and how much Df or cooling do you actually gain? All 3 hoods I owned seibon, vis, carbon 8 fit like sh@t and required widening of the original holes of the Oem latches. I'm not sure if any of the "x" guys have had to do that, but I'd love to know. Even if I have zero plans of replacing my Oem hood, it's always good to bring things to light.

But It's not a prelude hood. A procar hood is $4000, a downforce is similar in build and $2000 (more or less depending on finish). The best one, GT-one dry carbon, is $4000. I've seen $500 hoods on civics they generally don't get the same quality. I'm not sure the prelude market is that different as no one is going to drop 4K on a prelude hood. I've mentioned a bunch of times already my DF fits as good as OEM. It's still lighter, it does keep the radiator cooler, and it does make downforce when combined with the vent and aero bits underneath. I've never used VIS, only seen one Seibon, the vent wasn't even the same depth. I use the DF duct underneath... And the two fit together well. Also reduced my hood flutter. The Seibon isn't as good IMO. But it costs less too so each person has to decide on their own. To me the downforce units, both the hood and R wing, represent really good value. Everyone has their own opinions on these though. My point earlier was initial fit shouldn't be your only concern.

Those are cheap hoods and that might be the reason you have to widen the holes. I have seen and compare both DF hood and Procar hood ( I don't know about NA2).Procar hood is lighter than DF and better fitment and yet the cost is double. As far as downforce and heat exit, you have to drive it at fast speed like racing to feel it and get the benefits of it. For city drive or freeway drive, you will get just the same as OEM hood, except the look is awsome.

Last edited:
They are the mini latch from Quick Latch. They are not for hood fitment. My hood fits perfect with or without them. I did it for track safety. I've seen my hood vibrate at speed ever so slightly and was not going to take chances. I hate all the ugly latches out there. These are the size of a quarter.

Those latches. Familiar they look. ;)

http://www.quik-latch.com/mini-quik-latch-nsx.html

I have had my Dali for many years. Not a bad fit. On another note, maybe Tim {flag2poleracing} will see these posts and determine his next project.:wink:

+1 on a well made hood & duct ... at least for pop up head lights.

IMHO the most effective hoods out there are based on vent size and location in relative order:

Realtime Racing (aka LeMans NSX) not for street vehicles
Marga Hills (aka VIS NSX Super GT), if made to cover the LHD ABS system properly (Closest thing to a LeMans NSX hood without having to relocate your radiator)
NSX-R
NSX-GT (aka Mugen NSX-RR or CW Style Seibon hood)
Gruppe M

...and the pipe dream: 1st Generation Mugen NSX hood with the GT-40-esque ducts.

But It's not a prelude hood. A procar hood is $4000, a downforce is similar in build and $2000 (more or less depending on finish). The best one, GT-one dry carbon, is $4000. I've seen $500 hoods on civics they generally don't get the same quality. I'm not sure the prelude market is that different as no one is going to drop 4K on a prelude hood. I've mentioned a bunch of times already my DF fits as good as OEM. It's still lighter, it does keep the radiator cooler, and it does make downforce when combined with the vent and aero bits underneath. I've never used VIS, only seen one Seibon, the vent wasn't even the same depth. I use the DF duct underneath... And the two fit together well. Also reduced my hood flutter. The Seibon isn't as good IMO. But it costs less too so each person has to decide on their own. To me the downforce units, both the hood and R wing, represent really good value. Everyone has their own opinions on these though. My point earlier was initial fit shouldn't be your only concern.

I understand your point of view and I do not deny that the more cash you spend on a hood, the better it will fit. But,,,
The OP is asking about a seibon hood. I am only warning him of the quote, " build quality". I'd love a pro car hood or a Df hood. But I like the NA1 lights so that isn't a reality for me.:smile:

Both companies also make pre-02 hoods. At least they did unless that has changed.

Both companies also make pre-02 hoods. At least they did unless that has changed.
They have been discontinued.:frown: As well as taitec. Pro car might make one though. I didn't wanna disagree here with ya. I only ask here if seibon or vis hoods actually fit and or offer Df and cooling capabilities on an nsx.:smile:
For us NA1 guys, it's slim pickings...

Pre-02. NA1 and NA2 are engine codes for 3.0 and 3.2.... anything 1997+ is NA2 except the automatic cars which continued with a 3.0 liter.

Yes, correct. I was being lazy in describing an early model pop up headlight model. But yes, most of the pre 02 parts keep dwindling away.

I've been thinking about purchasing a DF ducted hood. If I plan on painting the entire top is there any benefit to purchasing the full CF hood over a FRP top/cf bottom?

I've read most of this thread, but I'm still wondering who makes a NSX-R ducted hood that has a deep trough, and can be paired up with an after market duct for a pre- 2002 car?

I've read most of this thread, but I'm still wondering who makes a NSX-R ducted hood that has a deep trough, and can be paired up with an after market duct for a pre- 2002 car?

The older square looking downforce ducts will work with any vented hood.

I've been thinking about purchasing a DF ducted hood. If I plan on painting the entire top is there any benefit to purchasing the full CF hood over a FRP top/cf bottom?

No not really. In fact you might be better off with paint adhesion on an FRP top.

had a couple of vented hoods, a VIS and a Dali........no issues with AC, I did notice the car seemed more planted at really high speeds.....less "floaty". I attributed it to the hoods but I'm no aerodynamics guy.....

I have a non-googly NA2 with a recent DF hood, so they still make them. The it is near perfect (still needed a few adjustments here and there though). I have the CF version since i didnt paint the scoop, the finish is excellent.

The older square looking downforce ducts will work with any vented hood.

Thanks s14_tat.

I've decided to get a VIS ducted hood so that I can keep my spare tire. Do you know if the DF duct you are referring to will work with a VIS hood? The VIS hood does not have as deep a trough as the DF hood.

I posed this question to SOS, but they had not paired the the DF duct with the VIS hood. So, they could not answer for sure that it would work.

I have DF hood for sale, it is pre '02. It is already painted in silverstone and CF. Fitment like the above thread stated.... not perfect.

Thanks s14_tat.

I've decided to get a VIS ducted hood so that I can keep my spare tire. Do you know if the DF duct you are referring to will work with a VIS hood? The VIS hood does not have as deep a trough as the DF hood.

I posed this question to SOS, but they had not paired the the DF duct with the VIS hood. So, they could not answer for sure that it would work.

Based on other people's testimonial and seeing how the design looks, I honestly don't see why it wouldn't work. It goes all the way up to the hood, but if you are putting the spare tire in there, than I don't know if you would see any gains at all.

15180X7.jpg

You see how this duct goes all the up the bottom of the hood, and the front doesn't even matter.

Back