• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For Those Who Attended NSXPO in Ohio, Any More Info On the New NSX?

Most people love it, it will be a game changer for sure, some people hate it... especially because it doesn't come with a manual gearbox.. .which.. wouldn't make sense because of all the technology involved with the SH-AWD system. In January, one will be at (forgot location) auto show and will be pretty darn close to what the actual production model will look like. Look for a slightly redesigned interior from the prototype that made its debut 3 years ago.

Thats about all I really know. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, and the blue one was much smaller than I thought which is a good thing. Its exactly the same as it was when it was running around the track last year. Same weird headlight housings, cooler wheels than the production version, just as ugly side mirrors and tail lights. Not sure it was a real car sitting there under the blue or if it was just a shell pieced together for display. The seam lines were a little off so probably not sitting on a true frame.

Last edited:
I noticed a few key things on the blue car & from the tech talk/video that Ted shared [MENTION=11941]HONDA[/MENTION] that day which surprised me, but if I shared here then I'd have to kill you. :) I walked away feeling like there will be some real meat behind the "New Sports car eXperience" tagline.

I noticed a few key things on the blue car & from the tech talk/video that Ted shared @HONDA that day which surprised me, but if I shared here then I'd have to kill you. :) I walked away feeling like there will be some real meat behind the "New Sports car eXperience" tagline.

Oh do tell! It will be worth it. :smile:

I know times have changed and that hybrid sports cars are the future. But I really wish they would have stuff that v10 they made a few years ago into the new car.

Just wait and see, this will be a game changer. All that v8, v10, v12 stuff will be a thing of the past. The electric motors more than compensate
I believe that too after talking with Ted and his talk/slide show at Honda. It's hard to say I'm drinking the KoolAid now since the NSX isn't out yet, but I'm thinking I'm starting to drink the KoolAid.
Oh do tell! It will be worth it. :smile:
I signed that I woudln't talk about what I saw at Honda. :) This includes the dinosaurs and hovercrafts I saw in the field area of the high speed oval.

.did they hand out the tasty candy that never fully dissolves...

Yes. I handed mine back to Ted at the end of the Saturday banquet after he stormed off in a huff away from everyone who was asking for a manual tranny. I'm now writing to you while sitting in my new-to-me LHD Type-R. Ted says hi.

The truth is, in the direction they're going the car will be nothing more than another incarnation of the Nissan GTR. Just a bunch of electronic bullshit doing its best to hide the fact that you're sitting on 1,500 pounds of lithium ion batteries all wrapped up in an obese unremarkable shell. Stay tuned for a forthcoming open letter to Ted and Takanobu Ito in the not too distant future.

The truth hurts and it's time to inflict some pain before it's not too late to fix this nightmare in the making.

Last edited:
The GTR is a one trick pony with many flaws. I would expect for the 2.0 to not make the same mistake. A lot of traditional 1.0 purists are already turned off but there are many more out there that are ready to step into the 2.0 and join the NSXperience. I love my same hamburger but I'm accepting of a new hamburger as well, as long as it delivers.

Like I said, some like it, some hate it. Let's wait and see.

Last edited:
Let's wait and see.

Evil triumphs when good men say that. Right now the car is being built with politics as the main influence, not passion. It would be extremely disrespectful to Soichiro Honda, Shigeru Uehara, Ayrton Senna and anyone else connected with the original car to recycle the NSX monicker.

Last edited:
Not sure it was a real car sitting there under the blue or if it was just a shell pieced together for display. The seam lines were a little off so probably not sitting on a true frame.
I was standing beside Ted as we gathered around before the session started and someone asked him if it had a full drivetrain .. and he confirmed that it was a running drivetrain mule and had all 3 motors .. but didn't get into specifics if it was close to the final drivetrain or an earlier iteration.
Oh yeah, and the blue one was much smaller than I thought which is a good thing.
When I was standing beside it, it looked shorter but also slightly taller. Maybe it'll be easier to slip into.

I also asked him about the one that went up in flames at the 'ring and he said that it was a mechanical failure and that they have fixed the design as a result.

The truth is, in the direction they're going the car will be nothing more than another incarnation of the Nissan GTR. Just a bunch of electronic bullshit doing its best to hide the fact that you're sitting on 1,500 pounds of lithium ion batteries all wrapped up in an obese unremarkable shell. Stay tuned for a forthcoming open letter to Ted and Takanobu Ito in the not too distant future. The truth hurts and it's time to inflict some pain before it's not too late to fix this nightmare in the making.

Like many here, I'm not the ideal customer for the new NSX. Since my livelihood doesn't depend upon fastest shifts to beat the competition, and since being faster on paper than my friends doesn't matter to me any more, I too gear my spending dollars and fantasy dollars to something simpler, less expensive, and more visceral. But I still care that the 'X' in NSX means something like the original did, and after last week, I personally feel that it will more than I did before last week. But I'm also now thinking that if the internet info-share overload were present in 1988 and the 80's versions of us were seeing the ugly (IMHO) pre-production versions of the NSX as well as hearing tidbits of the upcoming Xperimental tech, I can't help but believe many of us would have been complaining about why not a V8, why all the expensive-to-repair aluminum, why the expensive valvetrain innovation that's going to be expensive to maintain, why ABS in a racing/sports car, etc. Why not capacity for TWO cassettes, for longer road trips, lol. Would the Nsx we know and love today have been produced if it was influenced by those who preferred 20-year old ideas?

I do sometimes wish there was less early info share and market research and: instead, a product just appears and we get to take it all in at once and not in bits & pieces.

EDIT: that's not to say that I don't have personal preferences towards something simpler, more raw, and maybe a more delicate or classic design in the beak/fascia & wheels...I just sometimes wish we didn't have bits & pieces to wrestle over and overanalyze, instead we just got to be surprised at the end with something we loved or didn't love. Also in this day and age where automotive design is pretty mature and difficult to innovate IMHO, and where the auto ind'y is very lemming-like regarding styling & tech (if So&so Motor Company has a crazy fascia and electronic anti-gravity control, then we must have the same thing but different!), I've given in that there's little we can do regarding worrying about those things.

Last edited:
I do sometimes wish there was less early info share and market research and: instead, a product just appears and we get to take it all in at once and not in bits & pieces.

Hear hear! Do you want to read the script for a movie before you see it? Because that is what judging a car by leaked and imaginary specs and designs is equivalent to. They are busy writing the story and they will tell it to us once it's done.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think Honda does this nickel and dime info ooz to obtain information from the positive/negative reactions it generates. IMO they seem to be listening though they might not agree. From my experience, I've found that sometimes I can get valuable feed back by just throwing an idea out there for opinion. Both positive and negative reactions can reveal items that I may have never concidered. Just my .02

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think Honda does this nickel and dime info ooz to obtain information from the positive/negative reactions it generates. IMO they seem to be listening though they might not agree. From my experience, I've found that sometimes I can get valuable feed back by just throwing an idea out there for opinion. Both positive and negative reactions can reveal items that I may have never concidered. Just my .02

Hmm interesting , maybe a reason they were so accessible at NSXPO was for this exact reason, final small adjustments and ideas. (Shrug)

And Yinzer, excellent points.

nice discussion.....and good points raised by all.......my personal feeling about Honda's involvement kinda last minute was based on Ted's own guilt/aggravation that the group he enjoyed the year before was getting jilted at the alter.

And Yinzer, excellent points.
They may not be the best points and ones that others should follow, but they are mine. :) After too many highs and lows and wins and beatdowns in life, I've whittled down my emotions and priorities somewhat to a more even keel where I find myself wanting to fight only the battles I feel are worth fighting for, and also wishing that there were more fun unknowns and more good surprises in life like in the past. That's not always the best, as it was more fun at times to be more passtionate and even slightly irrational in past years. That being said, I hope Hugh and others with passionate views don't stop with their love & hate talk here. Makes for much more interesting reads.

Last edited:
By my rough math you need at least 3 level heads/volatile one to keep threads from com-busting... :wink:

I guess id be more passionate about any shortcomings if my name were 1st on the waiting list, or anywhere on the waiting list. By the time I acquired my NSX, there were dozens of cars out there with more technology and just as much, and much more HP as the NSX. Will probably be the same thing the 2nd time around too. But it was never about that to me, it was fulfilling a dream I had been chasing since I was 16. For all our opinions on what's good or bad about the 2.0, there will be others with zero exposure or care and will dream to have one someday as most of us did all those years ago

Last edited:
It was confirmed by a Honda employee that someone is lurking Prime for feedback or current info, Ted has to make a lot of different people happy.

What I don't like about the new car is that to me it's being designed backwards. Fighter jets (I would like to believe) were never designed to be pretty or good sounding, they were designed to performed their tasks properly and some found them attractive for what they are while from what I heard from Ted the new NSX is being designed to deliver performance, sound, feel and looks according to expectations and right now the R&D team is cheating nature to deliver what we're looking for.

I think a big difference between the GT-R and the NSX 2.0 is that the GT-R is absolutely technology first; the car is about getting the highest possible performance and making the driver look great. The NSX 2.0 is ultimately about the driver and Ted (given his background) is putting a lot of emphasis on making sure the car "gets out of the driver's way" in a non-intrusive completely natural fashion. I think that alone increases my faith in the next NSX. When people ask me about how my car compares to a GT-R, I always say that no one really drives a GT-R... they are just along for the ride. An NSX is a true driver's car; a precision road weapon that truly reflects how well a driver can dance with the road. The NSX 2.0 may have flappy paddles and cumbersome batteries, but the spirit and feel of its predecessor I think will still be there.

To say the NSX team is without passion proves some people are simply trying ruffle feathers..

All I hear from Ted in talks are how the passion they have for the original is what they want carried over. It is a "special Project" , One they can go outside the box to achieve. But I have personally met almost everyone on the team and I can assure you the car will have passion. Just like the original. Why do I think that? Because the team has it. I tout this in my business all the time. If you are passionate about what you do you will not fail. I truly believe the testing that is happening is strictly to dial in the "tech crap" to make it so the driver can still have the feeling of the original car. The one thing we all love so much. They are paying special attention to. A lot of you heard it several times.

Driver experience
Man / Machine synergy
Driver connectivity.

These are the words I hear Ted say. Maybe it is just me but I think they will knock it out of the park.

I expect "Matched or close" to 458 performance with 918 technology for a fraction of the cost. And I think they can deliver.

It was confirmed by a Honda employee that someone is lurking Prime for feedback or current info, Ted has to make a lot of different people happy.

What I don't like about the new car is that to me it's being designed backwards. Fighter jets (I would like to believe) were never designed to be pretty or good sounding, they were designed to performed their tasks properly and some found them attractive for what they are while from what I heard from Ted the new NSX is being designed to deliver performance, sound, feel and looks according to expectations and right now the R&D team is cheating nature to deliver what we're looking for.

I disagree the car is designed backwards. From Day 1, the expectation was to design a vehicle that would bring the same exact driving experience as the first NSX did so many years ago. Then from there, modernizing it to compete yet bring forth some more cutting edge technology as the first vehicle did. If you want a fighter jet, go buy the latest cluster of Lamborghinis.. they look like fighter jets, hard ugly lines and sharp angles all over, purpose built, a la death on wheels. I know you better than that in that you are not looking for a fighter jet.

Back